Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Sounds like the OP would be a better fit for Vermont.
ARGGGHHH!!! I hate this so much, that Vermont has become the epitome of the snobby type of uber-liberal ideals that we are seeing here. What is the deal with that? I have spent plenty of time in Vermont, and I didn't find it to be AT ALL like some kind of urban-liberal haven like I'm hearing described. Of course, I tend to avoid Burlington and Brattleboro for that reason, but I dunno. Maybe it's because where I live is such a hippie-liberal utopian paradise type of place that I have become desensitized to that nonsense. It just kills me that whenever uber-liberalism and looking-down-your-nose political ideals are brought up, Vermont is recommended. The old-time Vermonters I know are already appalled at what is happening there, let's stop sending more of them! Vermont and Alaska (and Maine if I could land a job) are the only three places I want to live, and I was hoping to escape from the obnoxious, in-your-face urban liberal attitude. I had thought about doing New Hampshire because it's generally more conservative, but the landscape and climate in Vermont are much more desirable.

I have no problem with liberals, and I am what you might call socially liberal in that I believe in equal rights (on ALL issues) for ALL people, but the intentionally in-your-face, "you're ignorant because you're not an awesome liberal like me", that whole mentality is not only silly, it's disrespectful. What's funny about that specific breed of liberals (and conservatives for that matter) is that they claim to be all about tolerance, but they can't tolerate anyone who doesn't live the way they do. If you're raising your voice loudly to a group of hunters about how wrong they are for hunting, I would say you have got things WAY out of perspective. My political stance is, basically, "Live and let live."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal
Yeah, as a member of PETA, I have to say I disagree.
You do realize that there are very few activist groups as hypocritical and corrupt as PETA, right? Last I knew, the only people who took PETA seriously were PETA members themselves. I have a slightly different opinion about their scantily-clad advertising, though...

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 04-13-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Vermont and Alaska (and Maine if I could land a job) are the only three places I want to live, and I was hoping to escape from the obnoxious, in-your-face urban liberal attitude.

You'll escape it in Alaska, and not because the place is full of neocons but because the type of liberalism that you describe--the urban, superficial kind--simply does not work here.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Annie, this is simply wrong and it's the type of attitude that if you portray in person will get you disliked in Alaska fairly quickly:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ood-bad-2.html

Quote:
Alaska and Arizona are kinda the same attitude, of "I've got mine, so stay out of my business, except when it comes to raising MY taxes, Jack! I am here for MYSELF" Just look in the Alaska thread like yours I started! I was censored though in this post, so you will have to look it up yourself.
You have not been to Alaska and here you are acting like an expert in the Arizona forum. For shame.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:06 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,335 times
...yawn... The conflict in this thread doesn't really warrant this much discussion. Met and Annie are both abrasive (and really, do either of you take that as an insult?). From the way Annie talks, she will have a tough time getting along in Alaska (fact, not an arguable point), and would probably be better off looking into the well established, scenic, progressive smaller towns and cities in the western states (Portland, Bend, Olympia, Missoula, Boulder, etc). In Alaska I'd think she'd feel most comfortable in Homer, and would find a like minded community in Anchorage, Juneau, west Fairbanks (Ester), and Haines at least. Maybe some of the other coastal towns too.

Is there really anything more that can be said?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,714 times
Yup-just way to beautiful of a day to spend arguing about anything. I have seeds to plant and seedlings to shift around-keeping my eyes peeled for those darn hungry moose!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Yup-just way to beautiful of a day to spend arguing about anything. I have seeds to plant and seedlings to shift around-keeping my eyes peeled for those darn hungry moose!
It's pouring down rain here and quite cold. I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing just now---nothing

Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 PM

442 posts, read 552,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's a piece of (vegan) cake:

From your last time around.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ot-them-7.html

Most of your stuff in that thread was of course deleted.

But there are those of us who were around at that time.

Good luck to you, Annie. Personally I think this thread is moot because I doubt you'll move here.
I can't say what I really want to on this forum towards you, personally. Just imagine it then. YOU are not..the INTERNET POLICE. Did I start anything AT ALL with anyone, when I started THIS PARTICULAR THREAD???? NO. So I kindly ask you to..oh you know.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:13 PM

442 posts, read 552,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Annie, this is simply wrong and it's the type of attitude that if you portray in person will get you disliked in Alaska fairly quickly:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ood-bad-2.html

You have not been to Alaska and here you are acting like an expert in the Arizona forum. For shame.
I do know Arizona well, and you are trolling me, as usual. I dare you to dispute the facts I posted in the Arizona forums. Have you lived there? Well, I have, extensively. I keep up with politics, everywhere.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
...yawn... The conflict in this thread doesn't really warrant this much discussion. Met and Annie are both abrasive (and really, do either of you take that as an insult?). From the way Annie talks, she will have a tough time getting along in Alaska (fact, not an arguable point), and would probably be better off looking into the well established, scenic, progressive smaller towns and cities in the western states (Portland, Bend, Olympia, Missoula, Boulder, etc). In Alaska I'd think she'd feel most comfortable in Homer, and would find a like minded community in Anchorage, Juneau, west Fairbanks (Ester), and Haines at least. Maybe some of the other coastal towns too.

Is there really anything more that can be said?
No; don't take it as an insult myself.

Portland might work out well for her but apparently she has some aversions towards Oregon; the work situation there is pretty rough as well from what I understand and I don't get the sense that she's a trustie.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
I do know Arizona well, and you are trolling me, as usual. I dare you to dispute the facts I posted in the Arizona forums. Have you lived there? Well, I have, extensively. I keep up with politics, everywhere.
Actually I was talking referencing Alaska, which you don't know well.

And yes, I have lived in AZ. Sedona was beautiful but way too full of new age clowns for my tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska