Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,791,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Recently I read there are more Lebanese-brazilians in Brazil than Lebanese in Lebanon.

And that's surely true.

The number of Brazilians who have at least one grandparent who was born in Lebanon, or was born in Brazil from two Lebanese parents, is surely greater than the current population of Lebanon.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Fascinating article, thanks so much!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cuba & Brazil - two of the most similar looking people?

If not, can you think of another group of people who would be more similar looking to Brazilians? Or more similar to Cubans?
Not in my opinion. They are more similar to their closest neighbors, Cuba to PR and DR, and Brazil to Venezuela and Colombia.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
The Japanese Brazilians actually remind me of the large Chinese population in Peru (at about 1.6 million). Most of them have intermarried but there is still a large influx of Chinese immigrants coming there to Peru. And the Chinese have still held on to the culture including their chifa, Chinese Peruvian food, and the Peruvian society is, for the most part, ok with that.

But overall Latin America is so diverse like the United States.

The only thing is that intermarriage has been much more common in LA than in the US.

Somebody mentioned the Jews in Brazil, but there were also Jews coming to Puerto Rico and other parts of Latin America as well.

But I wouldn't really say Brazilians and Cubans look alike although you gotta remember that most of the Cubans that came here in the US were anti Castro, the upper class of Cuba,and were predominately white so they didn't really represent Cuba as a whole where there are much more black, and darker skinned people.

I think Cubans and Puerto Ricans look the most similar.

Cubans actually even like "cousins" to the Dominicans.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 PM

43 posts, read 114,028 times
Absolutely not. These two countries are in separate hemispheres- that is how ridiculous this claim is. They don't even speak the same language. Pick something like Puerto Ricans, and Cubans, two neighboring islands which were colonized by the same country during the same period of time, and you'll be correct.

Also, Brazil is over 78 times the size of Cuba. This makes for a lot of variations in looks, etc. Most Cubans are white (from Spain, the country in Europe), as well as hispanic, being that they speak Spanish, whereas there are far more mestizos in Brazil.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
And PRs DRs and cubans have the closests accents They all replace the r with an l at the end of the word... Its not "bailar" but "bailal" for them. Most latinos outside those islands confuse those three accents very easily.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM

33 posts, read 85,209 times
Sure......

They are as similar as Japanese people are to chinese, corean and thailandese.

I mean they are all equal to my eyes.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post

Cuba received more immigration per capita from Spain than Argentina. A large number fled from 1959 onwards, but you can find plenty of not mixed white people, around 30 percent. Their third city is white, Holguin.

About 40 percent are very light mulattoes, people that can pass as white DR and then you have the "negrones" in different shades.

Before 1959 most blacks were in the eastern province, the purest ones were brought from Jamaica and Haity by sugar planters during the 30's. With communism and thanks to USSR subventions, blacks and mulattoes became the immense majority (around 70 percent). Recently they are being hired by the tourist industry and they even appear on TV, something unheard of 7 or 8 years ago.

The population you see in Centro Habana and Downtown Habana is not representative. The properties left by whites in 1959 were ocuupied by pure blacks from the east (they are called palestineans), they are a real pest for tourists because they are always pushing fake cigars, asking money, a real nuisance. The communist authorities tried to expell them from the historical area and Centro Habana (a very beautiful area, but in ruins), but it was impossible even for them.

The pics you showed are typical "Palestinians" in Centro Havana looking for some tourist coins.

Cuban accent for the west is entirely different from Dominican or PR aceent, the dialect spoken at the eastern provinces is more similar.
Black people have been part of Cuba since it was founded. They are no less Cuban than any white. There is no average Cuban. In any Cuban photo, you see a large range of phenotypes. Anyways, I don't take the white population in Cuba seriously because it all came about in the successful attempt of whitening the country. It would be nearly identical to the DR (same goes for Puerto Rico) if it stayed TRUE to it's nature (blacks and mulattoes). I am glad that the island is back to being majority black and mulatto, that was how it was suppose to be originally. That is for another thread however.

Anyways, you said:

Quote:
Cubans are not similar to PR and Dominicans.
If fact, in Cuba they have maby PR and Dominicans studying as "internationalisic students" and they stick out as a sore thumb.
I just proved your statement false by showing you identical phenotypes that do appear in both countries. I don't care how they got there or who they are. Those Cuban phenotypes are now common in Cuba. So as a result, a Dominican would not stick out in Cuba because there are presently identical phenotypes to them in Cuba. In your theory,they would be assumed to be Palestinians or in other words, still Cuban.

Over 10% of the population of the Dominican Republic (some figures have it up to 20%) are Haitians. More than half of the population of the Dominican has some kind of Haitian blood in them. Should I not consider those people Dominican? Are the Dominicans in the northern regions who stick to themselves the only true Dominicans? Families like the ones below?

They're all Dominican. Like the "Palestinians"/blacks/mulatto Cubans are in fact Cuban.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Manolon, all I am saying is that if your average Dominican or Puerto Rican were dropped in Cuba, nobody would point at them and say Dominican! Puerto Rican!...they would be assumed of being Cuban. There are many different types of people in Cuba, all with different shades of skin color, and different facial features. The same can be said with the DR and PR. The same ingredients where in place on the islands. The only difference was that Cuba had more white immigration, and also had more blacks than the DR. PR retained more of it's native American population. But the conditions allowed for mixing so much to the degree that in all 3 countries, a significant portion of the population overlaps. This is the truth. I once told a white Cuban girl in my school that I was Cuban. She actually believed me. I get confused for Puerto Rican at times as well. You see, me as a Dominican gets confused for my neighboring islands more often than not. I would be assumed to be Cuban, not Dominican in Cuba.

We're so alike, that there where plans to unite all three countries under the Antillean confederation. Cuba is no different to us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antillean_Confederation

Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM

33 posts, read 85,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

Just like me, I don't distinguish a bolita from Montevideo from a Porteño. People from Mendoza talk normal, though.
Well, the OP is being discriminatory so I was just following his / her steps as everyone is happily answering the stupid question. Obviusly, cubans and brazilians looks nothing alike, there isnt nothing worth to debate but there were at least 3 pages of BS.

Then you came and said this which is even more stupid than what the OP said.

Ill give you some info so that you dont look like an ignorant again. A bolita is from Bolivia which is a country. Montevide is the capital city of Uruguay, which is a completely different country. Thats the first thing. In second place people from Mendoza talk very similar to us from Bs As (Ive been there but you probably not or maybe you just dont understand the language). And if you cant see the difference between an average person form Bolivia and one from Bs As its because you are blind.

On a related topic I dont know if you are a chinese or some asian but instead of being angry with me be angry with the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas