Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Just like in English, there's a proper Spanish with a neutral accent that everyone can understand. And then there are dialects and slang and different kinds of accents that people will have different degrees of difficulty to understand. A lot of words in Mexican and New Mexican dialects are based on Nahuatl. Nobody outside those regions understands them, so you wouldn't want international news programs broadcasting in those dialects.

In Northern New Mexico, not only is some of the vocabulary borrowed from Indian languages, but you hear people use the occasional ancient 16th century word like "noria" (the well you draw water from) and there's nobody else in the modern Spanish-speaking world who would undestand this usage of the word.
There´s no proper Spanish. Each region has words only used in that language. Spain itself has different dialects and languages.

And there´s no such thing as a proper English either.

There are biased people who may attach greater value to some dialects out of others, but different people will value different dialects.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:39 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There´s no proper Spanish. Each region has words only used in that language. Spain itself has different dialects and languages.

And there´s no such thing as a proper English either.

There are biased people who may attach greater value to some dialects out of others, but different people will value different dialects.
And that´s why we´ve said all we´ve said. I get it...no Spanish is "bad" or "good" in a perfect world. Good luck convincing society of that.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:57 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Oh yeah bro, I´d love to. Should be interesting.
Here's a clip. I've got more.

https://clyp.it/gja15kkb

A couple interesting things to note: References to Española and Santa Fe. I thought it's interesting he uses the word "pesos" even though being in Northern NM they are born and raised in the U.S. But still as late as the 1960s they are using older terminology.

Also people in general I think don't have the right idea about what is "Spanglish". To me, this is full bilingualism, not Spanglish (although there are a couple Spanglish words in use.)

Last edited by 80skeys; 08-22-2019 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There´s no proper Spanish.
There is basically a proper spanish as there is a proper English. Meaning, there is a universal grammar and a standard vocabulary that is internationally understood and agreed upon. These are the "neutral" languages that you hear on news programs and which politicans and public speakers use.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
Marry into a Latin Spanish speaking family.
That's how I did it.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:56 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
There is basically a proper spanish as there is a proper English. Meaning, there is a universal grammar and a standard vocabulary that is internationally understood and agreed upon. These are the "neutral" languages that you hear on news programs and which politicans and public speakers use.
Grammar and spelling is heavily decided by the RAE in Madrid. The fact that grammar has official rules is why Spanish is written the same everywhere and there is a proper way of writing and/or spelling. What doesn't exist is a proper way of speaking Spanish. With that said, generally movies that are geared to a more international Spanish-speaking audience usually has the Madrid accent in Spain but in Latin America the same movie is dubbed in Mexico City. The accent from Madrid is hard on many peoples ears, especially the way they mention the "Z", which is a characteristic of Spain but in Andalucía no one that is native speaks Spanish like that.

The same doesn't happen with grammar and spelling in English. For example, theatre is more typical on the English in the UK, but theater is more typical of English in the USA.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:58 PM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
there are many dubbing studios, in Mexico, Chile, Venezuela, Argentina, even in Colombia and the USA.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The fact that grammar has official rules is why Spanish is written the same everywhere and there is a proper way of writing and/or spelling. What doesn't exist is a proper way of speaking Spanish.
I would imagine it's very much the same with Arabic and Mandarin Chinese.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Mexico City has for the longest time been the center of arts/film making, books, publishing in Latin America. Yeah other countries produce stuff, but their output pales in comparison to the volume and breadth of what comes out of Mexico.

Colombia got big into a niche market (telenovelas), and Buenos Aires has a decent amount of film making. I would call these two markets "second tier" to Mexico's "first tier."

That's been my observation through the years. I'm not real familiar with media from other countries so looking to be enlightened if anyone is more familiar with it.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:

Colombia got big into a niche market (telenovelas), and Buenos Aires has a decent amount of film making. I would call these two markets "second tier" to Mexico's "first tier."
I would say Venezuela was up there when it came to telenovelas and other types of tv shows. Specially comedy shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas