Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you like better?
Japan 123 63.73%
South Korea 70 36.27%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 PM

23 posts, read 24,988 times

Advertisements

Japan for the anime
Korea for the Kpop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
China is gonna suffer a demographic crisis too in the near future due to their decades long one-child policy. One day Chinese workers will become too valuable to produce low value added products, and move on to higher value products and services like the West is doing. The Western notion that millions of poor, low skilled workers are needed is most likely never going to happen in eastern Asia. Countries, and industries, evolve, and people must evolve with them. China is also not as an innovative country like Japan is. China is not going to eat Japan alive, until they dump the communist system they have.
The birthrate is already been forecasted by China. The current China population can still provide a healthy workforce in the next few generations which remains China competitive.

The one child policy can be lifted off anytime they wanted. And there are some misconception on the one-child policy. Families can still have 2 or more kids provided the family will pay the government certain amount of money, or something to that effect. I hope somebody from China can enlighten us.

China is NOT an innovative country?! China is now tagged as the "New Innovation Powerhouse" and it is catching up with the US. Japan is way far behind.

US R&D consumption 2012 - ~$400B (linear growth)
China R&D consumption 2012 - ~$360B (growth is unparalleled)
Japan R&D consumption 2012 - ~$120 (declining)
SOURCE

Have you heard of China's BYD car which currently hold as the most efficient car in the world? Have you heard about smart cities being built in China? Have you heard of the current space exploration by China?

Chinese are becoming more and more educated, even highly educated, more than Americans and Europeans. China is very aggressive about everything so if I were PM Abe, I will be alarmed and quickly impose economic reform in Japan.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
One child policy is quite strict on urban residents. Those who work for the government (including schools, state-run companies) can be fired if they violate the policy. Members of the Communist Party can be dismissed. In old days, it was a big deal.

In the country side, generally they are allowed to have two children, if the first one is a girl. A 5-year gap may be required, depending on the province. However, in rural areas many people violate the rule and have more than 2.

In any case, those who have more than allowed are supposed to pay a fine.

Ethnic minorities are exempted in one way or another. Relatively big groups (e.g. Uyghurs) are allowed to have two in the city, and three (?) in rural areas. But many violate the rule.
Very small groups are completely exempted.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,246 times
They both are really patriotic, nationalistic, full of proud people. No doubt about it.
But the Koreans show it openly, and Japanese hide it as if they have no pride.
But if you see the facts, Japanese people are really patriotic.
To choose which people are more patriotic, I'd choose Japanese people.
If you go to a Japanese shrine.. They bow and donate for their former emperors, heroes .. etc.. They are really serious about this, and it shows that these people really love their country, and even worship it.
However, you can almost never see these in Korea.

Also, in Japan. People always use only Japanese products. They never use Korean products.
I haven't seen one Hyundai car on the streets. It's not because Hyundai is the most cheapest, and Japan is a rich country. There are tons of Hyundai cars in the US, western Europe, which are richer than Japan.
And Japan is the place of lowest Samsung Phone market share in the world by far.
Samsung, LG TV has zero market share in Japan, even though it has the biggest share worldwide.
By these facts, one can easily see that, Japanese people actually avoid Korean products intentionally.
On contrary, in Korea, you can easily find Toyota, Nissan.. Etc Japanese cars.. Also other Japanese products are well sold in Korea.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:00 AM

13 posts, read 13,676 times
I strongly believe that japan is the Best.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicking View Post
They both are really patriotic, nationalistic, full of proud people. No doubt about it.
But the Koreans show it openly, and Japanese hide it as if they have no pride.
But if you see the facts, Japanese people are really patriotic.
To choose which people are more patriotic, I'd choose Japanese people.
If you go to a Japanese shrine.. They bow and donate for their former emperors, heroes .. etc.. They are really serious about this, and it shows that these people really love their country, and even worship it.
However, you can almost never see these in Korea.

Also, in Japan. People always use only Japanese products. They never use Korean products.
I haven't seen one Hyundai car on the streets. It's not because Hyundai is the most cheapest, and Japan is a rich country. There are tons of Hyundai cars in the US, western Europe, which are richer than Japan.
And Japan is the place of lowest Samsung Phone market share in the world by far.
Samsung, LG TV has zero market share in Japan, even though it has the biggest share worldwide.
By these facts, one can easily see that, Japanese people actually avoid Korean products intentionally.
On contrary, in Korea, you can easily find Toyota, Nissan.. Etc Japanese cars.. Also other Japanese products are well sold in Korea.
Actually, in Korea, you almost never see Japanese cars. It's recipricol. Both countries put an enormous amount of support into their own companies, usually through extremely high tarrifs on other cars, electronics, products coming in. In short, you'll see the exact same thing in Korea as well as Japan.

I don't recall ever seeing Toyotos or Nissans in Korea, unless something JUST happened since I've been out of Korea. You'll also never see Japanese electronics or phones or anything of that nature in Korea either. I don't know your background with Korea, or where you got your information. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and MAYBE that is brand new thing? But during the years I lived in Korea, 1996-2008, I never saw any Japanese products. Just zero, zero, zero. Koreans absolutely hate all things Japanese, including their products. But even if an indivudual were to want one, the Korean gov't makes it almost impossible for them to come into Korea.

That being said, I was back in Korea a year ago, and I was surprised that the international community, well, the USA in particular, was able to crack open some of their domestic markets, and get in a bunch of american chain restaurants and such. So, maybe it's POSSIBLE that somethng very very recent burst, and they were forced to take in some Japanese things, but I'd feel very very surprised if that were the case.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^80 million is an overstatement,there are about 7 million overseas Korean,while Japan has about 2.5 million.Korean's figure is much larger than Japanese',but not as large as you thought.Unless you included North Korean as well.
Anyway it is quite wrong to say that Korea is like Belgium or Austria.Japanese and Korean people don't share the same heritage or language at all.
South Korea has 50,000,000
north Korea has 25,000,00
Overseas Koreans around 7,000,000

So maybe 80,000,000 is a slight understatement?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 PM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
There are more Koreans in Japan than vice versa.
There are more Koreeans in China than Japanese
There are more Koreans in Russia than Japanese.
There are more Koreans in Canada than Japanese.
There are more Koreans in America than Japanese.
There are more Koreans in Australia than Japanese.
There are more Japanese than Koreans in...

Cuba
Dominican Republic
Colombia
Peru
Chile
Bolivia
Paraguay
Argentina
Uruguay
Brazil
UK
Netherlands
Belgium
France
Germany
Switzerland
Spain
Italy
Egypt
Nepal
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Philippines
Thailand
Singapore
Palau
Marshall Islands
F.S. Micronesia
New Caledonia
Nauru
Kiribati

and probably a bunch of other countries but can't find all stats.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
There are more Japanese than Koreans in...

Cuba
Dominican Republic
Colombia
Peru
Chile
Bolivia
Paraguay
Argentina
Uruguay
Brazil
UK
Netherlands
Belgium
France
Germany
Switzerland
Spain
Italy
Egypt
Nepal
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Philippines
Thailand
Singapore
Palau
Marshall Islands
F.S. Micronesia
New Caledonia
Nauru
Kiribati

and probably a bunch of other countries but can't find all stats.

May be off topic but I see relatively few Korean women married to Americans here.
Most Japanese women I know here have an American husband. In fact all Japanese women I personally know here in the US are either single or married to a white man.

(I understand Japanese women are less likely to immigrate to the US unless they have an American husband.)

Old 09-24-2014, 01:28 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
I would give the edge to Japan. it's an island nation and as such was able to develop unique cultural attributes that most mainland nations share or overlap. Japan also lacked the numerous invasions Korea went through thus being able to retain more i.e. cultural landmarks.

Japan is also a larger country by size spanning near Siberia all the way down to the tropics near Taiwan so of course it has more diversity.

With that said Korea is no slouch, in the 1950's South Korea was poorer than Ethiopia today and for it to be already comparable with Japan which has been a powerful nation for some time now is in fact a testament to how far Korea has come especially considering how much smaller the landmass and population is.

I don't either are perfect but both are great countries either way providing a good quality of life for it's citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia