Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Hispanic isn't attached to a particular place, it's a cultural label. Filipinos have a culture that is semi-Hispanic. And Asian is an idiotic label. Israel, Kazakhstan, and Cambodia are all in Asia, so they're all Asians and culturally similar right?

And English was forced onto Filipinos. You expect them to be able to speak a completely foreign language just like Americans do? That last part was very ignorant. I'm sure you pronounce everything just like the Queen.
All the Filipinos I know consider themselves Asian, but with a culture "flavored" by the Spanish and the Catholic church.

The last part is hardly ignorant. There have been polls on CD as to which accent is the most irritating for speaking English. The Filipinos (Tagalog speakers) win that one hands down repeatedly! No, I speak broadcast California English.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I am prom the Pilipines." As bad as nails on a chalkboard.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
All the Filipinos I know consider themselves Asian, but with a culture "flavored" by the Spanish and the Catholic church.

The last part is hardly ignorant. There have been polls on CD as to which accent is the most irritating for speaking English. The Filipinos (Tagalog speakers) win that one hands down repeatedly! No, I speak broadcast California English.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I am prom the Pilipines." As bad as nails on a chalkboard.
Yes, that "flavor" is why I voted "semi-Hispanic" If Filipino culture weren't Hispanic at all, then that would mean that the Spanish didn't impact or change the culture at all during their 333 year rule.

There's no reason why California "Broadcast" English is inherently better than any other dialect of English. They're all dialects, they're all systematic, and they're all effectively used to communicate. California English isn't the original type of English, so someone from Britain could easily say that you speak F'ed up, incorrect English. And the General American "Broadcast" accent actually comes from Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois, so it's not even the accent that California people possess. California people pronounce caught/cot the same, which is divergent from General American English

And there was no poll. It was a thread that you started
Which foreign accent for speaking American English is most pleasing/annoying to you?

You and one other person were the only posters to mention the Filipino accent as annoying. So cut out this BS...
Quote:
There have been polls on CD as to which accent is the most irritating for speaking English.
You can have your opinion, but don't act like this is a universally accepted opinion because it's not.

Last edited by Smtchll; 07-29-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Yes, that "flavor" is why I voted "semi-Hispanic" If Filipino culture weren't Hispanic at all, then that would mean that the Spanish didn't impact or change the culture at all during their 333 year rule.

There's no reason why California "Broadcast" English is inherently better than any other dialect of English. They're all dialects, they're all systematic, and they're all effectively used to communicate. California English isn't the original type of English, so someone from Britain could easily say that you speak F'ed up, incorrect English. And the General American "Broadcast" accent actually comes from Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois, so it's not even the accent that California people possess. California people pronounce caught/cot the same, which is divergent from General American English

And there was no poll. It was a thread that you started
Which foreign accent for speaking American English is most pleasing/annoying to you?

You and one other person were the only posters to mention the Filipino accent as annoying. So cut out this BS...

You can have your opinion, but don't act like this is a universally accepted opinion because it's not.
Ok, these are my observations...and also those of friends who find it irritating. Perhaps more irritating is the Filipino woman who thinks she is entitled to a white guy when she gets here. NOT.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,753 times
Default Lås Filipinås en Occidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Perla del mar de oriente
I'd never really given much thought about it until now, but in respect of the Hispanic world, I've always viewed the Philippines to be at its western fringe (occidente) instead of the east (oriente), which in my view would be Equatorial Guinea.

The Americas are thus in the middle.

This view of the Philippines being in the occident is reinforced by the fact that the Philippines, and several other areas further east from the Philippines in the Pacific, were governed through the Birreinato de Nueba España which corresponds to Mexico today, and that communication and exchange with the rest of the Spanish world took place more through the Pacific instead of to the west, which was dominated more by the Portuguese (I reckon it was even part of the agreement made by Portuguese and Spaniards themselves).

Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,753 times
Thumbs up språket

Quote:

A Brief History of Filipino Language
Just watched it. Thanks!
The language situation in the Philippines has always been one of the larger question marks for me.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:

A Brief History of Filipino Language

So mostly the tagalogs are the one who started the revolution for freedom
that is why they declared Tagalog as national language because of that 7 out of 8
provinces who mostly started the revolution speak tagalog. Not because of Manuel
Quezon (The father of National language just because he was from Quezon that speak
tagalog).

Batangas, Laguna, Manila, Pampanga, Bulacan, Cavite, Nueva Ecija and Tarlac.
The 8 provinces represent in the 8 ray of the Sun from Philippine National Flag.

Flag of the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great video. So people think that Filipinos aren't Hispanic at all simply because the Spanish decided not to teach them Spanish? That doesnt make sense. Had the Spanish taught Filipinos Spanish, then they'd be Hispanic? Not all of Hispanic culture is the language, there are other aspects. That's why I say "semi-Hispanic" To say that Filipino culture isn't Hispanic at all is foolish. If it didn't have Spanish influence, then the Philippines would be something like Malaysia, Taiwan (the aboriginal areas), or Micronesia (but they were also influenced by Spain)

Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, what's the deal here? This is obviously not Tagalog. It is textbook Spanish, clearly not an official language of the Philippines.
When they used this it was official language. The 1st official language before the tagalog came out as national. you don't know nothing about the Philippine history. The one who wrote this was Philippine National Hero, Because of his writings the Ilustrados and the rest of the people started the revolution.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
Quote:
Great video. So people think that Filipinos aren't Hispanic at all simply because the Spanish decided not to teach them Spanish? That doesnt make sense. Had the Spanish taught Filipinos Spanish, then they'd be Hispanic? Not all of Hispanic culture is the language, there are other aspects. That's why I say "semi-Hispanic" To say that Filipino culture isn't Hispanic at all is foolish. If it didn't have Spanish influence, then the Philippines would be something like Malaysia, Taiwan (the aboriginal areas), or Micronesia (but they were also influenced by Spain)

The Filipinos of today who are lowlanders, The Filipino native converted Christians to catholicism has mixed hispanic in their culture. even the sangleys who used to be a buddhist still continue the tradition between the hispanic culture and their chinese way of tradition like the rest of the Filipinos who has other ethnic background. It's kind of mixed culture...

San Lorenzo Ruiz is the 1st Filipino Sangley saint that we considered the 1st Filipino saint.

But the thing is Hispanic Culture never left the Philippines. I guess people are still so blind not to see the street names, Surnames of the Filipinos, Spanish loanwords, National Dress, Festivities, Spanish loanwords, literature, Money PESO, etc. It's not about from the blood but from the strong impact from the culture. It's between native culture and hispanic more, I guess the american influence was the english language as the american sent 300 american female teachers to spread in the country to teach english but never erased the strong hispanic culture in the Filipinos. Filipinos appreciate english movies and food some influences are the hip-hop clothing but our national dress still the same and cultural dances which is between hispanic and our ethnic background more. You notice when Filipinos celebrating national heritage the dances usually focus in 2 types of culture. The native ethnic group and the Hispanic mixing well this is only for lowlanders as other Filipinos retain their 100% culture like the Indigenous group of Filipinos.

I guess some people don't get the caste system of the Philippines. Sangley example: Lorenzo Ruiz (father: chinese mother:tagalog) but look at Lorenzo Ruiz surname an Hispanized surname. The guy in the video Kevin Cruz a Filipino Sangley descendants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8uMd6a8MkM

Last edited by pinai; 07-30-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
kind of interesting how the pictures correspond to what people in those regions look like today

woman from Maguindanao, Mindanao
quite mongoloid looking

luzon children
The pics are clearer on this site. Scroll to the bottom. There are several pics for most ethnic groups, and notice how the pics vary. The only ethnic group that seems to have the same characters in every pic is Sambal, but that's a small ethnic groups. I wish I knew what "Nanirales" was

Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,072 times
Quote:
oh yeah how do you explain the hispanic influence of Cebu and Zamboanga?
Chavacano in Davao? I guess you haven't seen those Ilo-Ilo spanish influence dance. look around in your area the churches, the surnames of your people. then if they don't have those surnames... then tell me they are not influence by Hispanic culture. Sto.Nino represent hispanic influence "catholicism"

Bandurria and Rondalla hispanic instrument
here is one of Visayan folk song "Mazurka Boholana"
i was talking about modern times...hispanic influence has been waning...nobody gives an S about spain
well you cant obviously change surnames now can u....there are as much native surnames as spanish ones in visayas

its only a Manila obsession now.....spanish obssesion is strongest amongst people with the strongest australoid features....go figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia