Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM

454 posts, read 763,313 times

Advertisements

I'm a northerner (from NY), originally Catholic, now Atheist, and live in a suburb of Dallas. I've lived here 20 years, and I have to keep my Atheism a secret for fear of the community buzzing about it. Religion is fervent here-people actually believe in hell, heaven, and that you 'go someplace' after you die. I have one neighbor who keeps trying to convert me, leaving bibles at my door, etc. I loved Texas when I first got here, but now I can't wait to get out. My husband and I are so tired of the sterile suburbs that as soon as the kids are in college, we are heading for Manhattan to live. Just need somewhere with some edge as a remedy, and more secular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I can relate inasmuch that I'm a Texan atheist (that almost sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?), but I was born and raised here so I'm kinda used to it. I'm not bothered by the religious for this reason and because I used to be religious myself. But yeah, safe to say Christianity is overly represented in the South. Even the most UNreligious people you'll ever find here talk about 'God' as if he's a visible, tangible human being.

But ya kinda asked for it. You don't move TO Texas, ever
SO RIGHT !!!!

You move FROM Texas....that is the best part of it.
That is IF you are lucky

I remember years ago, Then Gov Ann Richards was complaining about how "Texas' Best and Brightest" were finishing college and then leaving for the west coast.
Funny, but about 6 months later, I left too....

I was not an athiest then, BTW I was a New Ager which I guess is even more hated than the dreaded atheists.....as one Fundy told me... I was SATANIC!!!!!!

Funny how there is nothing I can think of, at the moment, that I miss about texas......

Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM

31,009 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
SO RIGHT !!!!

You move FROM Texas....that is the best part of it.
That is IF you are lucky

I remember years ago, Then Gov Ann Richards was complaining about how "Texas' Best and Brightest" were finishing college and then leaving for the west coast.
Funny, but about 6 months later, I left too....

I was not an athiest then, BTW I was a New Ager which I guess is even more hated than the dreaded atheists.....as one Fundy told me... I was SATANIC!!!!!!

Funny how there is nothing I can think of, at the moment, that I miss about texas......
"Satanic" No differerent than any other the other religions, Why man invented religion i'll never know?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,845 times
I really don't have many problems here being a non-believer.

You may be surprised at how many non-believers there are in the state (or maybe it's just my area?) Just this past week I heard a guy complaining how "not a lot of people believe in the Bible" around here.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,737 times
Hi Texan,

I think it's probably a common feeling whenever people try to cram their beliefs down your throat. It doesn't only apply to religion.

It's unfortunate that sometimes we base our opinions of people and issues on how those issues and ideas are presented to us.

I am not saying this is necessarily the reason you don't like religion. I am just saying that for some folks, IMO it does happen.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Satanic" No differerent than any other the other religions, Why man invented religion i'll never know?
Interesting book out there called "Evolution of God" showing how people went from tribal/spirit beliefs to full blown religion. Along the way there is this little thing we have in life called "positive reinforcemnt" which means if we do something along the way and something good happens as a result we would tend to keep doing it. Couple that with this little thing called Superstition and we have unseen forces pulling the strongs of positive reinforcement.
About the only thing positive I can see is that if you live in the Dallas area, and you openly profess the same religion BACK TO the religious fanatics who are forcing it on you, then they MIGHT be inclined to leave you alone....
Thus the positive reinforcement of speaking out and being left alone.

It all comes down to making money. SOmething Dallas people seems obssessed with, especially the minimum wagers who don;t want to admit how bad they have it in life.
Guess religion gives them some sort of hope for something better.

When I lived in Texas, I hoped for something better.....it came true the day I got hired out of state and packed up and left.

That is all the "religion" I need.......

Old 01-22-2012, 12:47 PM

511 posts, read 491,280 times
This thread is really amusing.
It simply illustrates that unhappy people are unhappy people wherever they happen to be.
OK...more sad than amusing.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Well, MaybeBut I certainly enjoy life more abundantly as a
1) Non-Theist
2) Non-Texan

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I certainly enjoy life more as a non-theist. Still a Texan, but I don't let the religiosity of some others ruin my life. I do wish that I could find more fellow heathens locally, however.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
This thread is really amusing.
It simply illustrates that unhappy people are unhappy people wherever they happen to be.
OK...more sad than amusing.
Stupid people make me sad, especially when the stupidity is willful and deliberate, and it dumb's down society as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism