Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
I lived in Atlanta 20 years, and I'll be honest - Atlanta's array of thumping dance clubs is about as boring as it gets. Few "bars" with character, practically NO independent coffee shops.. just sports bars. Atlanta's night life is nothing to be proud of.
I disagree...there are a multitude of both...if you bother to look for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
So, they set land aside, yet it was going to plow through neighborhoods? You sure the city leaders didn't just propose a freeway that was going to plow through neighborhoods? See, when Houston set land aside for Beltway 8, or Dallas set let aside for Highway 161, the neighborhoods/development backed up to the frontage roads, or where the freeway was going to be put. Then the freeways came. Also, there have been some freeways canceled for the same reasons you list for Atlanta. Highway 225, in Houston, was suppose to connect from it's current end at 610 to Downtown Houston. East End residents said hell no.

Edit: The only time this wasn't true in the Texas cities were when freeways were first getting started and neighborhoods got cut in half.

This can go both ways.
This proves that you are unable to admit being wrong, even when you have no idea of what you are talking about. The Outer Perimeter was not planned to go through neighborhoods - there weren't any there at the time. You clearly have much less knowledge of Atlanta than you think you do.

As far as going both ways, no again. I never speak with authority on anything related to Houston, as I am not qualified to. It's an interesting concept, and one you might consider going forward.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 AM

248 posts, read 648,662 times
Quote:
I lived in Atlanta 20 years, and I'll be honest - Atlanta's array of thumping dance clubs is about as boring as it gets. Few "bars" with character, practically NO independent coffee shops.. just sports bars. Atlanta's night life is nothing to be proud of.
Sorry to kinda hijack the thread, but I'm a coffee fiend and I can't pass up this opportunity to let you (and anyone who needs the info) know where to find some cool spots here:

- Danneman's on Edgewood (my current fave -- such a cool vibe and neighborhood)

- Octane on both Howell Mill and near Emory

- Dancing Goat in Decatur

- Java Monkey in Decatur

- Sip in Buckhead

Also, try Aurora Coffee and Inman Perk. I know I'm missing a bunch of other cool places, too.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
I never even made fun of your typing. Go back and look. What you type isn't unreadable, but it is hard to read at times. I think YOU get so enamored in what you're saying, that your grammar becomes an afterthought. You just "type, type, type" and don't check it.
Whatever Im over it over it over it over it over it over it over it over it over it over it over it over it.Oh sorry that was me just typing and typing again.

In Houston, you have: List of Texas Medical Center institutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the TMC alone, you have more medical educational institutions than the entire Atlanta metro area. There are also medical schools down in the Galveston area. There is even a high school in the TMC devoted to the medical profession (DeBakey High School for Health Professions). In total, there are about 69,000 students in the TMC alone, with over 5,000 of those from overseas (in addition to the 80,000 employees in the TMC). If Atlanta has more than that, then props to Atlanta.

Quote:
more medical educational institutions than the entire Atlanta metro area.
You are so full of it!
PROVE IT! You prove it and Ill promise I will shut up about it.
I can't be sure but I don't know if those 69,000 are medical school students soley.

Like in Atlanta for research you have the Yerkes Primate Instute:
Yerkes National Primate Research Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I do believe that Houston has more employees in the profession.But you act as though Emory and Morehouse is one hospital in one place.

Students are also sent to work at certain Hospitals that allow them practical knowledge.Like Grady Hospital where I have had friends who are Doctors come from Colombia to work through Emory at Grady for its Trama Dept., AS if these places are not in multitude in Atlanta.These are not "medical schools".These are just facilities where the schools use to train students.Many times those students are not even from the areas schools but schools far out of the country.

No, it isn't and that's not even close. The TMC only has about 13 hospitals out of the 27 in the City of Houston. The metro area has even more. There are a bunch of "tiny" medical centers sprinkled around the city and metro area. This is a common misconception by people, who think just because the TMC is so large, that that's the only area where Houston has its hospitals. The majority of the TMC aren't even hospitals, but educational/research institutions.

Well of course I dont mean literal.I know that if you need to go to the hospital you dont have to just go to one part of the city.

It would stand to reason that Houston has more Hospitals within the city limits.It has a much larger population in a wider area.Im not so sure about MSA vs MSA.

Did you miss this part of my post:

I don't make fun of how people type on here though, because English may not even be their native tongue. Hell if I know. It's just the internet anyway, but still.

I wasn't bashing anyone.

Edit:

This is also true, but substance here isn't lacking.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Is It Game Over for Atlanta? | Newgeography.com

"With growth slowing, a lack of infrastructure investment catching up with it, and rising competition in the neighborhood, the Capital of the New South is looking vulnerable

Bad traffic congestion and other infrastructure ills didn't matter much when Atlanta was the only game in town. For a long time, anyone who needed a presence in the Southeast found Atlanta the easy default answer. In many cases it was the only real possibility.
That's no longer true. Atlanta is now surrounded by upstart, much faster growing cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham in North Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee and Charleston, South Carolina – all in many ways now have the ambitions once characteristic of Atlanta.

Atlanta's problem lies in its insufficient differentiation from these other places. Other than the airport, a clear major asset to Atlanta, what do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville? Your commute is likely to be less. Except for certain groups – African Americans or gays – the city seems to be losing allure.

Atlanta is left as a sort of “quarter way house” caught between its traditional sprawling self and a more upscale urban metropolis. It offers neither the low traffic quality of life of its upstart competition, nor the sophisticated urban living of a Chicago or Boston."

Overly pessimistic, or somewhat observant?
I think that author forgot about Atlanta's on-going water issues.
That alone will halt growth and make it likely that Atlanta will stagnate and shrink in the next decade or so.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
I think that author forgot about Atlanta's on-going water issues.
That alone will halt growth and make it likely that Atlanta will stagnate and shrink in the next decade or so.
Wrong. We aren't turning into a ghost town anytime soon.

That was a several hundred year drought that happened. It's been over for more than a year. And it did not just impact Atlanta.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
You mean like Urban Grind in Midtown West
Javology Downtown on Auburn Ave
Octane West Midtown

Stop being Dead in Suburbia and move to the city maybe you'll see more.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
I fail to see how giving out grants to other institutions is the same thing as those institutions doing the research, treating patients, etc. The CDC is VERY valuable, but when you stack up the CDC and other medical institutions in Atlanta and then compare them to what's in Houston, Houston comes out on top. And the CDC doesn't give out grants to everybody, either. Houston has many more employees in the medical industry, more institutions associated with the medical industry, a MUCH higher numbers of domestic/international patients than Atlanta, more students studying in the medical industry, etc.
The importants of those grants, if no one else has pointed this out, is they actually make sure those "firsts" happen. Research takes money and this money comes from grants. Think of it like the chicken or the egg argument.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Is this debate about whether or not Atlanta is still crowned king of the Southeast, or another Atlanta vs Dallas vs Houston(mainly) thread? I'm just sayin...

Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,767 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's really not been true in my experience at all, and I've only been here for a year or so. The suburbs around Kennesaw and Marietta certainly seem more box store/chain restaurant and bar to me. But plenty of intown spots have independent coffee shops and bars. (Ormsby's and Octane on the Westside--my side o' town--are two just off the top of my head.) Decatur, Inman Park, East Atlanta, Westside, Little 5, etc. all have significant indie offerings IMO. (You might be right on the club scene, but I honestly don't know it very well.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta