U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM
 
Location: NY
9,071 posts, read 15,053,563 times
Reputation: 11515

Advertisements

Kyle sure has the hot hand right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
In fairness, both Daytona and Talladega are a heck of a lot more exciting races than what you will see today at Indy....
The plate races get hairy at the end when everyone is really going for it. However, I have sat thru plenty of plate races where the first 150 or so laps are done mostly single file, with absolutely nothing of interest going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Reputation: 4514
Missed another race to NBCyaddayadda. So I figure NASCAR is rigging the races now so Kyle makes the chase....lol I have to get a conspiracy theory going since I can't see the races anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 04:11 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Reputation: 18050
Rowdy would go quietly it seems but doubt anyone expected him to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,883,407 times
Reputation: 11886
It seem the drivers are unhappy with the Indy rules package because passing was difficult.

NASCAR (Brian France) is unhappy because of not enough pack racing (multiple car crashes).

It's time for the NASCAR owners group to stand up to NASCAR. They keep forcing the owners to spend money on their rule changes and the only thing it accomplishes is widening the gap between the front runners and the back markers.

Back markers are no longer minimum budget racers hauling their lone entry on an open trailer, These teams still spend a million dollars just to enter a race and yet are forced to spend on changes that will not improve their performance.

If NASCAR really wants close racing put a cap on team spending.
It's really starting to look like F1 racing, computer engineers instead of race car builders and engine builders.

I long for the days when a single car team like kulwicki can win races and the championship. All done without engineers and electronics.

Congrats to Kyle and rant over for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Reputation: 4514
If I were the back markers I'd only 1/3 of the season and demand an exemption to qualify for the chase - like Busch. Why waste all that money on races you can't win? Just run the ones, plate races, that you have a punchers chance of winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM
 
32,492 posts, read 26,373,528 times
Reputation: 19135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
If I were the back markers I'd only 1/3 of the season and demand an exemption to qualify for the chase - like Busch. Why waste all that money on races you can't win? Just run the ones, plate races, that you have a punchers chance of winning.
the only issue with that is, KB intended to run the entire season as the rules require, but due to circumstance beyond his control he was unable to run the entire season. by your own admission you would not intend to run the entire season, and thus would run afoul of the rules.

pdd, i agree with you on the constant rule changes, that needs to stop. what nascar needs to do is set up one aero package for every track, and one spec tire for every track, and make the teams adapt to conditions.

fortunately thus far nascar is only allowing fuel injection, and not other electronics that formula one has allowed. also i would get rid of the restrictor plates, and use gearing to slow the cars down. that way if a team wanted to build an engine that could turn 10,000 rpm, so be it. but it would have to last for 500+ miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 12:31 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,883,407 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only issue with that is, KB intended to run the entire season as the rules require, but due to circumstance beyond his control he was unable to run the entire season. by your own admission you would not intend to run the entire season, and thus would run afoul of the rules.

pdd, i agree with you on the constant rule changes, that needs to stop. what nascar needs to do is set up one aero package for every track, and one spec tire for every track, and make the teams adapt to conditions.

fortunately thus far nascar is only allowing fuel injection, and not other electronics that formula one has allowed. also i would get rid of the restrictor plates, and use gearing to slow the cars down. that way if a team wanted to build an engine that could turn 10,000 rpm, so be it. but it would have to last for 500+ miles.
The electronics I am talking about is that used in testing. The low buck teams have to spend money on that when they could be investing in getting more benefits elsewhere.

Same goes for restrictor plate racing NASCAR takes power away and the teams have to try and figure how to get it back with various manifolds etc.
Yes unrestricted and a gear rule to keeps speeds down. NASCAR knows that but then the pack racing goes away and Brian France says he wants to keep pack racing.
If NASCAR had to reimburse the teams for cars totaled because of pack racing that would be the end of it.

What if all the teams already qualified for the Chase decided to sit out the next restrictor plate race? They don't need the money so why risk totaling another car. They would probably save more money than they could make.

It would **** off the fans and embarrass NASCAR plus Gordon and a lot of others would have a better chance of making the Chase with a win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,187,860 times
Reputation: 4514
@rbohm sure, I'm not serious or suggesting it's an option but that's the line of reasoning that comes from tweaking things randomly. The team could simply enter the races as usual but not race. As PDD says, save cars from being turned into scrap metal. Though it would be a lot easier if they'd take the restrictor plates off already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
 
32,492 posts, read 26,373,528 times
Reputation: 19135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The electronics I am talking about is that used in testing. The low buck teams have to spend money on that when they could be investing in getting more benefits elsewhere.
actually the electronics used in testing is a good thing even for the low buck teams. why do i say this? well think about it, all the notes that are taken for each test session, and each race, all go into a big note book that the crew chiefs can peruse through when setting their car up for the next race. and the longer that crew chief has been in nascar, the larger his notebook is. now take the low buck teams and with the electronics used in testing, they can get a similar benefit by being able to more quickly narrow down trouble spots in their set up, and make the needed corrections without having to run test session after test session, making one change at a time, then going out and running 75-100 laps and doing it all over again. with the electronics on the other hand, you can cut down on the number of expensive test sessions because you can like i say get to the issue much sooner.

when i was drag racing, i would loved to have had the electronic testing that they do now. it would have made things so much easier setting up our race car because i would have known all the required variables, like the barometric pressure, track temperature, air temperature, fuel temperature, what my fuel pressure curve was at any point along the run, what my timing curve was at any point along the run, etc. and then i could take all that instant information and make the needed changes in a much shorter period of time, and get back out on the track.

so i see the electronic testing from the point of the crew chief.

Quote:
Same goes for restrictor plate racing NASCAR takes power away and the teams have to try and figure how to get it back with various manifolds etc.
Yes unrestricted and a gear rule to keeps speeds down. NASCAR knows that but then the pack racing goes away and Brian France says he wants to keep pack racing.
If NASCAR had to reimburse the teams for cars totaled because of pack racing that would be the end of it.
actually i dont think pack racing would go away at the fast tracks. everyone is limited to the same top speed due to needing to finish the race. and everyone would have the same aero package as well. combine that with a hard tire, and you will find that the drives would end up in a pack because everyone would otherwise be sliding around too much.

Quote:
What if all the teams already qualified for the Chase decided to sit out the next restrictor plate race? They don't need the money so why risk totaling another car. They would probably save more money than they could make.

It would **** off the fans and embarrass NASCAR plus Gordon and a lot of others would have a better chance of making the Chase with a win.
yes it would irritate the fans, but i doubt that nascar would be embarrassed. what would probably happen is that nascar would tell the teams that intentionally sat out the race is that they are disqualified for the chase since they didnt intend to run the entire season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,319 times
Reputation: 23
Indy looked half empty. Where are all the fans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top