Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
It was bound to happen eventually.

I disagree about it presenting the bigger danger (in my opinion). I worry more about the driver darting all around through traffic than anything else. More often than not, that driver is behind the wheel of something smaller than my SUV.

the bottom line is that if you're in a corolla and you get t-boned by a speeding corolla you've got problems. if however you're in a corolla and you get t-boned by a speeding excursion you've got VERY BIG problems!

many people take this into account when purchasing a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:01 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
they're actually called "wake up and see what's happening" tactics. the sheeple are the ones who refuse to see what their excess consumption is doing to the country
In my world, sheeple are the ones who blindly follow along with what others are saying. They don't take the time to learn the facts for themselves. They let others (including the media) spoon feed them all of their "knowledge", never once considering the agendas behind the people doling out the information to them.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Your typical driver in an SUV is already paying more in taxes than they should be, because they're using gas and ethanol instead of diesel. Since the tax is imposed per gallon of fuel, and diesels get better fuel economy, the people using diesel are taxed less per mile driven.

Not really, SUVs have been exempt from the gas-guzzler tax so SUV drivers haven't been paying the same taxes that those driving inefficient autos have.

Last edited by burdell; 07-18-2008 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,179 times
Quote:
the bottom line is that if you're in a corolla and you get t-boned by a speeding corolla you've got problems. if however you're in a corolla and you get t-boned by a speeding excursion you've got VERY BIG problems!

many people take this into account when purchasing a vehicle.
It's quite a stretch to go from the proclamation that people refuse to buy econo-cars because of fear for their safety to saying that people consider safety when purchasing a vehicle. You've backpedaled all the way from the former to the latter.

As an aside, how do you explain the increase in motorcycle traffic? It would appear to me that motorcycle riders are making their decisions based on much more than safety concerns.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Can you explain your correllation between the price of oil and our trade deficit?

I do know so much about semi drivers. I can tell you with absolute certainty that they are either slowing down or going out of business (both drivers and companies). It's an economic necessity in this business.
we consume 21 million barrels per day and only produce around 7 million ourselves. that means everyday we IMPORT 14 million barrels @ $140 which gives you roughly $2billion a day leaves our shores a billion of which goes to the not so friendly nations.

if we dropped our consumption dramatically say to 4 or 5 times the chinese per capita consumption,(ie we'd still be using 5 times what they use per capita, currently the average american consumes enough gas for about 15 chinese) we'd have a surpluss which we could save for future generations and we'd still be able to produce goods for export to address our national debt. i understand that oil isn't entirely to blame for our deficit but it's an area we need to address.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
As an aside, how do you explain the increase in motorcycle traffic? It would appear to me that motorcycle riders are making their decisions based on much more than safety concerns.

I don't know how much economy is affecting that, on my most fun rides I usually manage to get my motorcycle mpg down to less than my car yields

Old 07-18-2008, 12:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
the problem is that people who are thinking of getting a smaller car are put off by the presence of these speeding monstrosities!
Please show proof of this statement. Not BS rhetoric, but actual hard proof. such a statement without backing is nothing more than one individuals opinion and should be taken as that alone.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:25 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Oh pul-eeze. This idea is inane because it's the difference in speed between vehicles that contributes more to crash conditions than speed, period.

The feds need to take more time off. Most of their interventions are poisoned by secret amendments, and the unintended consequences are almost always negative and could have been avoided by anyone with a room temperature IQ.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Please show proof of this statement. Not BS rhetoric, but actual hard proof. such a statement without backing is nothing more than one individuals opinion and should be taken as that alone.

fine then take is as my opinion!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Show me a Prius that can haul 6 adults and pull my trailer while getting good mileage and I will be all over it. In the meantime though you will see me piloting the ol' Suburban down the road full of people all the time and pulling a trailer of some sort the rest of the time. These threads are foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive