Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY
You didn't say how much business loss there would be if the Buffalo Bills didn't play 7 games a year. What loss of business? You are the one who said establishments, why can't you be to say which ones are on the verge of closing if the Buffalo Bills left.

If you don't believe that losing a team full of millionaire football players (not to mention all the highly paid coaching staff & team executives) as half year residents (and some as full year) wouldn't hurt the economy you need to go back & retake a high school level economics class.
The question was asked to Town&Country on this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
How many establishments would fall if they were not here...
I'd really like to know how many establishments will close at the loss of 7 home games a year.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
You didn't say how much business loss there would be if the Buffalo Bills didn't play 7 games a year. What loss of business? You are the one who said establishments, why can't you be to say which ones are on the verge of closing if the Buffalo Bills left. You answer my question, then I will answer yours.
There WILL be business loss. Think of drinks and food, not just at the stands, at every sports bar, in every home. There are super bowl parties, events for the kids, training camps. There are businesses that operate the suites and stands, there is maintenance, stadium renovations and upkeep. There are the salaries of the player, coaches, support staff, announcers, television, advertising. Its a trickle down affect. Give me a figure between Tops and Wegmans about how much people spend on a superbowl party. I bet between the Buffalo and Rochester branches alone it exceeds $7 million!

People from LA know Buffalo because of the Bills. Do you think people will really remember Buffalo if we take away the football team? I know of a group of guys from different states, who come downtown once a year just to go over the draft. Thats loyalty, thats morale. Out of all things to give up why the Bills? I would rather see the zoo, the art galleries or the performing arts centers go than the Bills. Some out of town people may goto the art gallery, but not the zoo.

Quote:
Do you really believe that? Only season ticket holders believe that. Only tailgaters would cry in their beer at 7 am on a Sunday morning in November if they are told something as crazy.
YES, you are giving people one more reason to get the heck out of here. And the media will play into this, you know they will. It will be on every headline from Maine to California about how Buffalo lost something else and is therefore a dying city. Forbes will post the top five cities ready to loose their football team.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
There WILL be business loss. Think of drinks and food, not just at the stands, at every sports bar, in every home. There are super bowl parties, ......... Give me a figure between Tops and Wegmans about how much people spend on a superbowl party. I bet between the Buffalo and Rochester branches alone it exceeds $7 million!
The Super Bowl will become non-exsistant without the Bills in Buffalo? Are you sure about that? Throughout the entire 50 years of Bills history they never brought "home" a Super Bowl trophey, and ya know there has still been a Super Bowl. But according to you the Super Bowl will come to an end. Oh, no! What will bars do now?

Quote:
Out of all things to give up why the Bills?
Why? Because it is the largest tax burden in the name of entertainment.

Quote:
I would rather see the zoo, the art galleries or the performing arts centers go than the Bills. Some out of town people may goto the art gallery, but not the zoo.
The culturals have more to offer a family throughout the year, than the Buffalo Bills just 7 weeks out of the year. And how does a family enjoy the sport of football when more than half time there are drunken fights and too much disorderly conduct arrests?

Quote:
YES, you are giving people one more reason to get the heck out of here. And the media will play into this, you know they will. It will be on every headline from Maine to California about how Buffalo lost something else and is therefore a dying city. Forbes will post the top five cities ready to loose their football team.
The City, nor the County will die off if there isn't the Buffalo Bills here. They only play 7 home games a year. Taxpayers won't be forced to pay for that stadium 52 weeks out of the year. If they want to stay, the Bills should be paying their own way! The more we are strapped with this tax burden, the more it will kill the city & county, not the loss of a losing football team. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I have nothing against the sport. If you want pro football in this town, make the franchise pay for their own stadium, not force the burden on to the taxpayers of Erie County. I don't wanna take away anyone's drunken fest, I'm just a taxpayer who's sick of paying for it. I don't want to subsidize sports entertainment for a crowd of drunks 7 weeks out of the year.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
How about Medicare and medicade, you like paying for that?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
How about Medicare and medicade, you like paying for that?
I don't mind it. They go towards the health and well-being of those in need in Erie County. I would hate to be the one to tell parents of a sick child they wouldn't get a little help with their medical bills because of the Buffalo Bills' stadium is a bigger priority. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell senior citizens they can't get a better price on their perscriptions because keeping the Bills here is a bigger priority. When I said the Bills are the biggest tax burden, I wrote it out specifically "IN THE NAME OF ENTERTAINMENT" so there wouldn't be any confussion. The Buffalo Bills are subsidized sports entertainment, it's a shame that someone would put the people's health in Erie County at a lower priority than a losing football team by asking a question like that.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
The Super Bowl will become non-exsistant without the Bills in Buffalo? Are you sure about that? Throughout the entire 50 years of Bills history they never brought "home" a Super Bowl trophey, and ya know there has still been a Super Bowl. But according to you the Super Bowl will come to an end. Oh, no! What will bars do now?

Why? Because it is the largest tax burden in the name of entertainment.

The culturals have more to offer a family throughout the year, than the Buffalo Bills just 7 weeks out of the year. And how does a family enjoy the sport of football when more than half time there are drunken fights and too much disorderly conduct arrests?

The City, nor the County will die off if there isn't the Buffalo Bills here. They only play 7 home games a year. Taxpayers won't be forced to pay for that stadium 52 weeks out of the year. If they want to stay, the Bills should be paying their own way! The more we are strapped with this tax burden, the more it will kill the city & county, not the loss of a losing football team. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I have nothing against the sport. If you want pro football in this town, make the franchise pay for their own stadium, not force the burden on to the taxpayers of Erie County. I don't wanna take away anyone's drunken fest, I'm just a taxpayer who's sick of paying for it. I don't want to subsidize sports entertainment for a crowd of drunks 7 weeks out of the year.
The fact that the Bills are not that good of a team, and people still pack the stadium should say something.

You are completely missing the point. What you are saying is that at every game there is some kind of roudy fight and that nobody anywhere can enjoy themselves. There are no fights at any other type of sport anywhere in the country? How many fights are at a hockey game with just the players? What about the people watching the game on television? Your saying that no retailer benefits from the Bills, I find that hard to believe.

On the same point that everyone can watch the superbowl, most major cities have zoos. The Bills offer far more culture than something like the Buffalo zoo. When was the last time you saw the Buffalo zoo on the front page of something other than the Buffalo News itself? The zoo, the performing arts center, Delaware Park and do not draw a crowd of 50,000+ people per event and also have people at home watching it on their TV.

Less than 1% is a SMALL price. And I am sure that the generated revenue that retailers get from the Bills make up for. There are better ways to get lower costs than to give up the sports culture of Buffalo.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
The Bills offer far more culture than something like the Buffalo zoo.
The culture of getting to a stadium at 7 am, begin drinking for a 4 pm game. Drink some more during the game then driving home? This you say is more important than the Buffalo Zoo or the Art Museum, or the Science Museum that are all family-friendly and open more than 7 weeks a year? What "culture" are you talking about?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
Quote:
I don't mind it. They go towards the health and well-being of those in need in Erie County. I would hate to be the one to tell parents of a sick child they wouldn't get a little help with their medical bills because of the Buffalo Bills' stadium is a bigger priority. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell senior citizens they can't get a better price on their perscriptions because keeping the Bills here is a bigger priority. When I said the Bills are the biggest tax burden, I wrote it out specifically "IN THE NAME OF ENTERTAINMENT" so there wouldn't be any confussion. The Buffalo Bills are subsidized sports entertainment, it's a shame that someone would put the people's health in Erie County at a lower priority than a losing football team by asking a question like that.

You should mind it, it dragging down the state and the area.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
Quote:
The culture of getting to a stadium at 7 am, begin drinking for a 4 pm game. Drink some more during the game then driving home? This you say is more important than the Buffalo Zoo or the Art Museum, or the Science Museum that are all family-friendly and open more than 7 weeks a year? What "culture" are you talking about?
Well, culture doesn't necessarily need to be sophisticated in order to be considered "culture."

I don't think that the Bills matter past the psychological boost that they might bring, but you can't honestly say that there is no culture involved with the team.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Not everybody drinks themselves stupid, and most don't tailgate. It is about having a good time and going to a sporting event. Its about having a sports team to have some pride in, no matter how bad they are.

Personally I don't like most sports, if anything I like hockey the most. I watched part of one game last year, the superbowl. I usually just go for the party and to have a good time. I don't drink myself stupid and if I have to drive I'm responsible. You cannot speak for every person that goes to a game. If people like to get a little loud at a tailgate thats fine by me. If each and every one of them breaks out into a fight and drives home blitzed thats a different story, and should be addressed by other means. We shouldn't shut down the entire football team because of some tailgater's.

I didn't say "drinking itself" was more important than an art museum, I think the Bills and the fan base is more important to the city than a zoo or an art museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area