Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
Town&County why did you leave Erie County all those years ago? Why wasn't the Buffalo Bills enough to keep you here? I hope the Bills stay here too. Just not so heavily and chronically dependent on taxpayers dollars with no questions asked. Like all the other cultural venues are beginning to see... less money and more strings attached to that money.
I had to leave in 78 due to the army... when I got out I went to help a relative in a southern state. One thing led to another and I wound up having to stay down here. Thats all over now though. We've had the sunday ticket, local bbb's, road games to attend... it'll be nice to be back in Buff for good. 1 or 2 week trips back home are great but it kills me to have to leave.

I know quite a few people/couples who are also moving back.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post

I personally would cry for days... that would be one of the most horrible days in my life.
Seriously, you'd cry for a bunch of over-paid football players who'd be traded to another team anyways? And here, all I was thinking about was this football team adding to the tax burden of Erie County every year.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Seriously, you'd cry for a bunch of over-paid football players who'd be traded to another team anyways? And here, all I was thinking about was this football team adding to the tax burden of Erie County every year.
When the Bills leave, so does even more of the population. It will show that Buffalo is still dying, more than ever, and will portray to the world that this isn't the place to be anymore. Good luck attracting businesses once/if our major league sports are gone! The Bills ARE Western New York. They provide entertainment to more then just the region. Just because some may not be Bills fans, the team still shows off our city well on an international level and brings more money in than it does take. A small tax isn't the end of the world. I'm tired of this constant whining excuse that has no true backed-up reason. Consider a Sunday or Monday Night game. The NFL cameras go wild- they bring blimps and helicopters to the city, right downtown and on Niagara Falls. Between parts of intermissions and breaks, they show our beautiful city spectacularly to millions of people. The City of Light's skyline gleaming in the night sky. Buffalo without doubt one of the most beautiful nighttime cities in America, and perhaps the World, and why not better show that off to people all over the country and parts of the world? The Bills are such a boon to Buffalo, the Metro region and WNY, Ontario, and beyond- more so than perhaps the Sabres, which is also a boon to Buffalo and would be nearly just as bad if they leave.

Let's Go Buffalo.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Yes I would Sabres fan.... you talk taxes and I talk people. All you are talking about is taxes which is Not what this thread is about. Its about the people, the city... the bonding and rituals of the last 50 years.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
When the Bills leave, so does even more of the population. It will show that Buffalo is still dying, more than ever, and will portray to the world that this isn't the place to be anymore. Good luck attracting businesses once/if our major league sports are gone! The Bills ARE Western New York. They provide entertainment to more then just the region. Just because some may not be Bills fans, the team still shows off our city well on an international level and brings more money in than it does take. A small tax isn't the end of the world. I'm tired of this constant whining excuse that has no true backed-up reason. Consider a Sunday or Monday Night game. The NFL cameras go wild- they bring blimps and helicopters to the city, right downtown and on Niagara Falls. Between parts of intermissions and breaks, they show our beautiful city spectacularly to millions of people. The City of Light's skyline gleaming in the night sky. Buffalo without doubt one of the most beautiful nighttime cities in America, and perhaps the World, and why not better show that off to people all over the country and parts of the world? The Bills are such a boon to Buffalo, the Metro region and WNY, Ontario, and beyond- more so than perhaps the Sabres, which is also a boon to Buffalo and would be nearly just as bad if they leave.

Let's Go Buffalo.
You put it in better words than me, Sabres fan and his buddy kept spamming the thread. What you wrote is how it goes no matter what... best post on this topic, better than mine.

Lets Go Buffalo! Hall of Fame game is 18 days away...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I consider this attitude as the problem with Buffalo. The inability of people to see and deal with the real problems. Extreme exaggerations of the positive of the area, and ignoring the deficiencies. Thinking that a ball game is the epicenter of a culture and a city. The real people who can make a difference in Buffalo--leave in disgust, and others creative people do not move to the area. Too many people are left wear blinders, and chant magic words of "Go B...." and think that is the answer. They are praying to false gods and living a dream that has caused a nightmare for the whole region.

It will never get better until the game leaves for richer victims and hopefully these fanatics will follow---and then the real story of Western New York will continue.

Livecontent

Old 07-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I consider this attitude as the problem with Buffalo. The inability of people to see and deal with the real problems. Extreme exaggerations of the positive of the area, and ignoring the deficiencies. Thinking that a ball game is the epicenter of a culture and a city. The real people who can make a difference in Buffalo--leave in disgust, and others creative people do not move to the area. Too many people are left wear blinders, and chant magic words of "Go B...." and think that is the answer. They are praying to false gods and living a dream that has caused a nightmare for the whole region.

It will never get better until the game leaves for richer victims and hopefully these fanatics will follow---and then the real story of Western New York will continue.

Livecontent
Not really the epicenter but it goes hand in hand with positive things people associate the Buffalo "area" with: Buffalo Bills, Niagara Falls, Wings!!, Sabres, great people for the most part, great wine and produce, excellent skiing and winter sport activity... most people I know are happy to live there and why not...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Yes I would Sabres fan.... you talk taxes and I talk people. All you are talking about is taxes which is Not what this thread is about. Its about the people, the city... the bonding and rituals of the last 50 years.
It is very interesting that the Glory Days of Buffalo was before football and the decline and the decay happened "...with the rituals of the last 50 years...".

Livecontent

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
It is very interesting that the Glory Days of Buffalo was before football and the decline and the decay happened "...with the rituals of the last 50 years...".

Livecontent
Losing the Erie Canal had a lot to do with it... back then everything went through Buffalo.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Not really the epicenter but it goes hand in hand with positive things people associate the Buffalo "area" with: Buffalo Bills, Niagara Falls, Wings!!, Sabres, great people for the most part, great wine and produce, excellent skiing and winter sport activity... most people I know are happy to live there and why not...
Yes, some of what you mentioned are real positives---produce, wine---the fertile land and the agriculture. That is what makes Western New York shine and deserves bragging rights. However, it is not said enough and loudly.

You can find football, wings, skiing and winter sports anywhere but the fruits and vegetables of New York are one of the best. The small historic towns of Western New York are a real treasure.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area