Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Yuck. I love the outdoors, love gardening, hiking, boating, and those would be low on my list of places to live.
But why would that be? Admittedly gardening is an act of faith in North East Nevada, but it is truly America's Last Best Place. Miles and miles of trails and back roads to wander upon almost completely empty of people. Great Fishing in high mountain streams and lakes. I am mystified.

Here a couple photos of North East Nevada

the lake in this last image I came upon one July 15 and found it still frozen over. Not the typical and generally erroneous image of Nevada is it?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Yuck. I love the outdoors, love gardening, hiking, boating, and those would be low on my list of places to live.
I have to agree with you. We actually considered NE NV as well as a few other places in the state, but NE is just to open. I have to have some form of real life around me, plus more greenery.

Nita

Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to agree with you. We actually considered NE NV as well as a few other places in the state, but NE is just to open. I have to have some form of real life around me, plus more greenery.

Nita
What does "just to open" mean?

Not enough greenery in North East Nevada?

It is true that those who are overly fond of paved roads will not see much of Nevada. But those who are young or young at heart, and adventurous and like the out of doors will find, America's last best place.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
The first pictures you posted are mostly bleak and barren looking. The second group of pictures show some grass with mountains int he backgrount, but many people like to have trees. They do nto like to look out over miles and miles of flat, unbroken landscape. I think that they are referring to something like this:

Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 AM

[quote=Coldjensens;18825783]The first pictures you posted are mostly bleak and barren looking. The second group of pictures show some grass with mountains int he backgrount, but many people like to have trees. They do nto like to look out over miles and miles of flat, unbroken landscape. I think that they are referring to something like this:

If you consider an alpine landscape rising above green meadows "Bleak and Barren" you see the world very different from those to who I recommend Nevada.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
[quote=.highnlite;18826268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The first pictures you posted are mostly bleak and barren looking. The second group of pictures show some grass with mountains int he backgrount, but many people like to have trees. They do nto like to look out over miles and miles of flat, unbroken landscape. I think that they are referring to something like this:

If you consider an alpine landscape rising above green meadows "Bleak and Barren" you see the world very different from those to who I recommend Nevada.
I know you said northeast NV, but can you be more specific? The alpine parts of the state are nice; the desert, hmmmmmmm, not really. But, tastes vary.
You ever drive down a road in northern NV carpeted with Mormon crickets? Now that's an experience!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:57 PM

[quote=Snort;18826469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

I know you said northeast NV, but can you be more specific? The alpine parts of the state are nice; the desert, hmmmmmmm, not really. But, tastes vary.
You ever drive down a road in northern NV carpeted with Mormon crickets? Now that's an experience!
Snort, cars wreck on the crickets, slide right off the road like they were ice.

I have ridden a horse for miles, stepping on the crickets the whole time.

Nevada is all a desert, but deserts don't have to be boring flats like Nevada's boring flats.

The two ranges pictured are Jarbidge and the Rubies, two of Nevada's 300 ranges.

My wife used to teach school at a two room schoolhouse in the Rubies, she lived in an apartment at the school. The school was 60 miles from pavement, her neighbors were all ranchers, she loved it out there.

These are places you can camp and hike for a month without seeing a soul.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
I'm a born and bred NYer. Lived in the Bahamas for three years and learned to hate humidity. Lived in CT for many years and loved it but HATED those long winters. Lived in Thousand Oaks, CA and thought I'd come home. Loved it. LOVED it. Then my practical DH retired and said CA was too expensive so we moved to Ashland, Oregon. It's nice here but after five years I am gently nudging (do NOT use the word 'nag') him to move back to CA. Central Coast, north of Santa Barbara. Most beautiful place in the world.

We thought about AZ and haven't completely ruled it out since we have a daughter there, but the thought of those summers scares both of us.

OR is nice but we spend too much time in the house from November through until May. Life is too short not to be outside in the sun or at the beach.

Just my tuppence.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times
Wow.. I hear ya on that! I moved from San Luis Obispo County to the Seattle area a few years ago for my husband's job, and as hard as I try to like it.. it just isn't working.

Oregon is quite lovely.. especially Ashland, and I've tried to tell myself that maybe moving to Oregon would cure my homesickness for SLO County, but my friends and family finally told me to give it up. They know that I need to be back on the Central Coast.

I think that most everyone has a place in their hear that feels like home... whether it's their original or adopted home. And nothing compares to the Central Coast for me. No amount of gorgeous forests, and clean lakes, or food carts, can change how I feel about sitting at the beach in Avila having an ice cream cone on a summer evening.

Best of luck getting back to where you belong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
I'm a born and bred NYer. Lived in the Bahamas for three years and learned to hate humidity. Lived in CT for many years and loved it but HATED those long winters. Lived in Thousand Oaks, CA and thought I'd come home. Loved it. LOVED it. Then my practical DH retired and said CA was too expensive so we moved to Ashland, Oregon. It's nice here but after five years I am gently nudging (do NOT use the word 'nag') him to move back to CA. Central Coast, north of Santa Barbara. Most beautiful place in the world.

We thought about AZ and haven't completely ruled it out since we have a daughter there, but the thought of those summers scares both of us.

OR is nice but we spend too much time in the house from November through until May. Life is too short not to be outside in the sun or at the beach.

Just my tuppence.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:00 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post

Just my tuppence.

If y'all wanna, you could buy a reasonable priced used rv (pull trailer, 5th wheel, or motorhome, etc) then camp/park anywhere you like in the wintertime. Stay where the weather suits you in the winter, then head home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California