Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times

Advertisements

In the past, the main reasons to move to the A.V. were cheap housing, clean air, and a slower-paced life. Not sure if any of these reasons still apply. Worked there in the 60's & 70's when all cars were the same color - brown - from the dust storms and folks travelled to the NR mall to cool off. Moved there in '88 to get away from the crime in the SFV. Big mistake. My son became hooked on drugs at age 10, eventually became a dealer. You see, when both parents work, and commute long distances to work, the family life suffers. There is less supervision and, as I learned later, many of the adults tolerated drug use in their homes.
Many of the parents that refused to tolerate drug use by their kids would put them out on the street. These kids regularly broke into cars at the local motels to steal items to pawn that would support their habit and some money for food. They liked to stay at the Motel 6 but would frequently get kicked out. Sometimes we would have as many as 15 of these kids in our home. Oh yeh, forgot to mention that the AV is big in spousal abuse and child abuse. We also had 2 girls there who had to get away from their dad. The first murder that I recall, of someone we knew, happened around 1990. He was 15 years old. There were many fatal car crashes, too. By the time my son got his act together, he had few friends left alive. After the last murder occurred, my son testified against the gang members who were responsible, which is why he no longer resides in California. There are good and bad elements in every community. There's no escaping that today. We lived through both good and bad times in A.V. Our neighbors, for the most part were teriffic. You're not going to get along with everyone in this world. But, the high crime rate, traffic and terrible drivers, and booming real estate market all told us that it was time to go. We lived on the west side, and never knew of any section 8 problems. The air was clean and the sky was blue. A great place to gaze at the stars in the evening. There are many more jobs available locally now, and improvements have cut down on the delays on the 14. I believe that, if law enforcement can gain some sort of control over the 50+ gangs in the Palmdale/Lancaster area, this would be a good place to raise a family. But right now these gangs make it a dangerous place, especially in and around the highschools. We wish the best for the A.V. P.S. Never give up on your kids.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 PM

178 posts, read 735,150 times
We lived there for 7 years and were so happy to leave.
We bought and the housing market tanked so we were stuck
untill we could sell. We've lived a lot of places but
Palmdale was the worst and we're happy we don't live
there anymore and will never move back.

Last edited by la quinta family; 01-22-2007 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: missed word

Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 PM

21 posts, read 157,702 times
OMG!!! Is palmdale really that bad??? I'm from ny and my husband is currently working in ca (lancaster) and wants us to move there...he claims (from what people have told him) that west palmdale and west labcaster are good areas is this true at all? I have 5 kids 17,15,6,4 and 10 months ....I have a 19 year old also but she's not going to move with us. I'm really concerned about this area because I hear so many bad things. What do you guys think? Any opinions will help thanks

Old 01-27-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylori2001 View Post
OMG!!! Is palmdale really that bad??? I'm from ny and my husband is currently working in ca (lancaster) and wants us to move there...he claims (from what people have told him) that west palmdale and west labcaster are good areas is this true at all? I have 5 kids 17,15,6,4 and 10 months ....I have a 19 year old also but she's not going to move with us. I'm really concerned about this area because I hear so many bad things. What do you guys think? Any opinions will help thanks
Well, if you are going to move there.. Quartz Hill and West Palmdale
and West Lancaster would be the top choices. I know the schools
are the best in West Palmdale and Quartz Hill. Rancho Vista Elementary,
Hillview Middle and then for High School Quartz Hill would be the best.
I don't know New York at all so I'm not sure what you're used to
but the area had gone down hill when we left over five years ago.
Gang banger types moving up from LA. Like they say... welfare
dollars go farther in Palmdale, Lancaster being that both cities are in
LA county. On the bright side... they have a mall close by, Trader Joes
moved in a few years ago, bed bath and beyond... Walmart, Home Depot,
Mervyns are all there. The winters are cold, the summers are hot but
it does cool down in the evening somewhat. We moved our kids
out of there because it seemed the kids around there were more prone
to party and get in trouble than other area's. We moved and it
was a great decision for us... our kids are almost grown now and
are great kids. The friends they left behind there have all done or
do drugs and drink and party. Our kids don't but maybe if we had
stayed?? My advice would be to make sure your kids get into
some wholesome activities so they will be around other good kids.
Good luck to you...

Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 157,702 times
thank you LaQuinta Family...My kids are really good now no drugs drinking etc... my son is into sports I just hope that doesnt change ya know? Well wee are from the bronx and brooklyn in ny we are now upstate but it's not the country its in a pretty decent sized city...but nice not too many bad kids no crime at all very little if any. We are suppose to only stay in that area (lancaster/palmdale)for a year then come back to ny maybe a year and a half. I'm wondering if its worth it I'm debating if he should stay and work and come home every 6-8 weeks. But the job he was offered was too good to pass up(thats what he thinks) I'm going crazy trying to decide what to do.Thanks again

Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
thank you LaQuinta Family...My kids are really good now no drugs drinking etc... my son is into sports I just hope that doesnt change ya know? Well wee are from the bronx and brooklyn in ny we are now upstate but it's not the country its in a pretty decent sized city...but nice not too many bad kids no crime at all very little if any. We are suppose to only stay in that area (lancaster/palmdale)for a year then come back to ny maybe a year and a half. I'm wondering if its worth it I'm debating if he should stay and work and come home every 6-8 weeks. But the job he was offered was too good to pass up(thats what he thinks) I'm going crazy trying to decide what to do.Thanks again
You're welcome! That's a very tough decision... is it possible you
could fly out and leave the kids for a weekend with someone so
you could see the area for yourself before making a decision? Kind
of get a feel for it? I'm happy for you that you'll be staying in New
York for the long term. I have lived in Sacramento, Lake Tahoe,
Palm Springs, Vacaville, Lancaster, Palmdale, Pismo Beach,
and La Quinta and the Lancaster slash Palmdale area were my least favorite.
But it's not good to have the family seperated either. Sounds like
you have good kids so I doubt that would change in a year...

Old 01-27-2007, 06:21 PM

30 posts, read 194,170 times
Quote:
The westside is much nicer than the eastside. Unfortunately, you have to share your shopping experiences with the rest of the AV and yes there are quite a few undesirables here. If you remain in your safe little "pocket" you tend to forget that there are bad areas nearby, but that is unrealistic.My experience with the AV is that the housing boom has brought both more affluent families and those who depend on Sec 8 out here to reside and let's face it, middle to upper middle class families don't make the newspapers. So with the increased lower income families you see more crime occur. The good news is that the crime rate in Palmdale dropped in 2006.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:31 PM

22 posts, read 170,598 times
I have been to Palmdale's "eastside" and it is not so bad but of course maybe i'm used to it, i would rather live there than where I live now, well that is just my point of view

Old 01-27-2007, 11:42 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,540 times
The only place I'd live is in Anaverde off Ave S. West Palmdale & Quartz Hills still have pockets of "not so good areas" nearby. Anaverde is all new & secluded enough (miles away from rest of AV with one street in/out.) from the rest of A.V. Additionally, Anaverde homes are priced higher with higher fees than the rest of AV so the neighborhood attracts those willing to pay a premium whereas the majority of the rest of AV homebuyers are looking for maximum space for the least amount. Plans for the space between Anaverde & rest of Palmdale are a golf course & the existing aqueduct.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Guy

7 posts, read 49,727 times
Agreed with last posts. like I said in my past post, do your homework. There are "bad areas" no matter where you go; the Valley, L.A. Some Ventura Co., Riverslime, I.E. etc. I thought we were in a pretty good neighborhood (Joshua Hills tract) @ Pearblossom/25th east. Anyways, come to find out last week, my Realtor (who is also married to my lender, who sold me my home in '99)-anyway, she lives up the street from me. She was getting her mail, and was confronted by a 'Afro-american' thug POS who stuck a gun to her face, stole her purse, and within 1 hour had charged over 650.00 at the local Walmart (prolly someone w/a 'homie' who works there) as i ALWAYS get my I.D. checked when I use my C/C! @ Walmart (White guy w/his Kids shopping...). Anyways, my Wife and I discussed it. We are getting the F-out of Palmdirt, and Calif altogether, by the time our Daughters are High School age, if not before. I already 'lost' my now 18 Y.O. Son (from my 1st marriage) when I finally got custody @ 16. He came to live w/us in A.V. and soon got into Drugs, got a gang-bang-type disgusting black girlfriend, and immeadiately went down hill fast. His Mom gave up when she couldnt handle hime and sent him to live with us. That turned out to be a mistake. Just do your homework/investigate the pros-cons of WHEREVER you decide to call 'home'.
If anybody wants to buy a house in Palmdale, just lemme know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California