Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 09:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn_leaves View Post
they share anglo culture which often obsesses and focuses on race

I wouldn't be surprised if a canadian is also race/skin color obsessed like americans tend to be. (Australians are also like that and the british too)

Anglo culture is so meeh

Continental European culture > Anglo culture

If one were to look at countries where blacks are a minority one will find that we are much better off in these "race obsessed" Anglo nations. Which isn't to say that there aren't problems.

In France where racism is worse, but they sweep it under the rug and bar any such talk as "unpatriotic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The event is way too big to be managed by the community exclusively. This is no tiny event this is huge
When you say Canadians making a lot out of the event ...!

So I will expand. Canadians who aren't Caribbean make more money out of the event, so do not want it to fail. If Caribana wasn't a huge $$$ maker it would have ended as soon as the community lost the ability to run it. Its certainly not about who Caribbean people decide to include, or exclude.

And I heard that Scotiabank will be out from next year.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If one were to look at countries where blacks are a minority one will find that we are much better off in these "race obsessed" Anglo nations. Which isn't to say that there aren't problems.

In France where racism is worse, but they sweep it under the rug and bar any such talk as "unpatriotic".
I don't know the narrative that continental Europe is a cornucopia of peppermints and incense when it comes to race. Granted, much of my time in Europe was in the 70's, but I have been back often and don't see much difference today. The treatment of minorities is appalling, even to this white American who lived in the South for quite some time too.

They talk a really good game, but they don't walk the walk.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:55 AM

20 posts, read 62,754 times
Quote:
What are were you driving in? That is unsettling. I think I likely live in one the more whiter areas of the city. I am literally the one of the few non Anglo people living on my street ( very untypical for Toronto... especially Scarborough) and that would hugely concern me.

You never know what to expect. It only takes a few idiots. Some of my family lives in the USA in Las Vegas and has a Nazi symbols and racist stuff spray painted in their drive way as well as anti- Arab comments written. The ironic part is my cousins are fair, with blonde hair and green eyes and of Middle Easter Descent and my cousin's wife has blonde hair, blues eyes, fair skinned and Jewish. Some teens in the area decided they were going to become Neo-Nazis ( I guess there were not after school programs available). It took my loud mouth Trini Aunt to go over an call the kid out on what he was doing (she is one crazy lady) and she realized his parents were being pretty neglectful ex. never home and never anything to eat. Now he is her best friend because she invites him over to eat dinner sometimes lol.

Honestly a watched a few documentaries about the modern KKK in the USA. I already warned my husband who is not Canadian and has an accident. If we are ever driving through the backwoods USA and he is see those flags in the area or any of the other KKK related stuff if anyone asked where he is from ( he has an accent)... say he is from Quebec/ French Canadian and get the hell out of their fast.

Hey! It is unsettling and sad. I was driving on Harbor Street near the ACC. There was a Slipknot concert that night, so interesting crowd in the area. As I said though, I do love being in Toronto and for the most part Canadians are beautiful people, however you will have these outlier events.l

The west end boy in me wanted to turn around and tell him to meet me at Finch and Kipling

Lol, but we have to rise above.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:16 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro_2011 View Post
Hey! It is unsettling and sad. I was driving on Harbor Street near the ACC. There was a Slipknot concert that night, so interesting crowd in the area. As I said though, I do love being in Toronto and for the most part Canadians are beautiful people, however you will have these outlier events.l

The west end boy in me wanted to turn around and tell him to meet me at Finch and Kipling

Lol, but we have to rise above.
I am actually surprised that Slipknot with Marylyn Mason could fill up the ACC. I use to listen to Marylyn Mason and Nine Inch Nails when I was a teenager a bit, but honestly not a fan of this type of music. I equate it to being the social outcast cult music. I can only deal with it in small doses. I hate gory stuff ex Rob Zombie and Slipknot. I got to wonder if they were stupid enough to drive to the Air Canada Centre if they were actually from Toronto? It is like $30 to park and very difficult to get out of there after the fact. This demographic ( future serial killers of the world) is totally worrisome. I was asked to go to this concert and declined .

Old 07-22-2016, 11:51 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
This demographic ( future serial killers of the world) is totally worrisome. I was asked to go to this concert and declined .
Serial killers aren't that extroverted. Now, anarchists and mass murderers, THAT'S your target demographic.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Good article on the BLM movement in Canada. I thought it was fitting to post it in this thread.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...es-matter.html

Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
FYI a Somali man has died after a "rough arrest" by Ottawa police. It happened on Sunday morning. He was unarmed and had mental health issues. The story is still developing. There is some video of the incident on Youtube if you look for it.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
FYI a Somali man has died after a "rough arrest" by Ottawa police. It happened on Sunday morning. He was unarmed and had mental health issues. The story is still developing. There is some video of the incident on Youtube if you look for it.
Yup, another one to add to the list. But of course we don't need black activism in Canada right?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro_2011 View Post
Semi agree- Canadians may dislike, but there is a level of openness and understanding, even if its at a minimum. America, especially in the Southern states, you can feel the hate like a magnifying glass in the sun.

I will say this, just this week however, I did encounter a confederate flag in Toronto. Was not amused, the individual driving the vehicle was driving behind me, and approached me very slowly...
I know hyperbole is encouraged on this forum but bredren you really feel this way? You "feel" the hate like a magnifying glass? Honestly I have lived in the US and Canada and the version of racism that rules the day is the under the radar kind. People are way too PC to show you that strong of a hate that you can feel it.

I have been the victim of overt racism in the form of name calling maybe 3 times in my life. Two of those we're in Canada, as recent as being called a ****** in a bar in Oshawa about a year ago. But even with that experience I don't feel the hate shining on me when walking around Oshawa or any other part of the GTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada