U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,691 posts, read 6,537,402 times
Reputation: 8193

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
I've lived in Southern Ontario for 18 years. The amount of disrespect that the ROC puts on Quebec is just terrible. My Uncle was one of those people who used to say: *I say We let them go at it on their own and let them suffer. The British conquered them plain and simple. Without us they would be back in France*

The amount of plain ignorance I've heard from news websites is just atrocious. I almost never see the Quebecois side on any of these so called *surveys*. Whatever it is, English speaking Canadians do it better I guess.

The truth is we're all Canadians. No matter how much smug the ROC is. Or how independent the PQ says Quebec is.

Separation is hurtful.
Good post, Heinrich. I tend to avoid the separatist threads because the thought of it does cause me a great deal of mental pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 PM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,704,957 times
Reputation: 3108
And I guess I'm stirring the pot even more. Pardon but these things will come up. If it ever does come to separation, what'the percentage goal for separation..... 50.1%?, 60%?, 70%?, 80%?, 99%? 99.9%. This is a horse that will have a difficult time running through that contentious mud....;-)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 PM
 
78 posts, read 252,223 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
I've lived in Southern Ontario for 18 years. The amount of disrespect that the ROC puts on Quebec is just terrible. My Uncle was one of those people who used to say: *I say We let them go at it on their own and let them suffer. The British conquered them plain and simple. Without us they would be back in France*

The amount of plain ignorance I've heard from news websites is just atrocious. I almost never see the Quebecois side on any of these so called *surveys*. Whatever it is, English speaking Canadians do it better I guess.

The truth is we're all Canadians. No matter how much smug the ROC is. Or how independent the PQ says Quebec is.

Separation is hurtful.
I'm very tired of people saying that Quebec will be an economic disaster, or that it won't be able to govern itself - if it separates.

This is quite an imperialistic idea, which can be easily seen from people in many parts of the world where there is a separatist movement - I've personally asked a few Chinese guys about Tibet, and Turkish guys about the Kurds. Their answers are the same - "They won't be able to support themselves"

Total bull****. and Quebec is in about a hundred times better shape than those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 10:48 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,722 posts, read 4,531,044 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
And I guess I'm stirring the pot even more. Pardon but these things will come up. If it ever does come to separation, what'the percentage goal for separation..... 50.1%?, 60%?, 70%?, 80%?, 99%? 99.9%. This is a horse that will have a difficult time running through that contentious mud....;-)....
Why wouldn't it be 50.1%, like I think it was last time (in 1995)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 AM
 
34,377 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
How realistic exactly is Quebec secession in the near future?

Could some people who are more knowledgeable about the current situation in Quebec and Canada please tell me more details about this?
Isnt giving details what we've been doing for the last 75 posts?.
How realistic is it ? ultimately very realistic but probably not in the next 10 years or more.
I like Brusans analogy to a divorce.we are at the point now of irreconcilable differences as both sides are liking each other less and less a situation i cant see getting any better ever
Heres some viewpoints from the rest of Canada, It
And an external take on Quebec from Time magasine.
http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/que...dian-province/

Last edited by jambo101; 08-27-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 AM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,704,957 times
Reputation: 3108
Comment after the piece...

Quote:
"It is absurd to claim that Québec is “at war” against English. The Québec nation promotes inclusiveness and is renowned worldwide for its creativity and economic vitality. Quebecers of all origins are proud of their unique identity. We cordially invite you to visit and see for yourself".

André Boisclair, Québec’s Delegate General to New York


Well this 'de Tocqueville' was impressed coming back after all the years. But I am just one man and his perceptions. When one visits one must know that Quebec is an iceberg....with 'fires' burning on the inside. I hope Mr. Boisclair is right and Quebec can solve their issues magnanimously between the factions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM
 
34,377 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Comment after the piece...





Well this 'de Tocqueville' was impressed coming back after all the years. But I am just one man and his perceptions. When one visits one must know that Quebec is an iceberg....with 'fires' burning on the inside. I hope Mr. Boisclair is right and Quebec can solve their issues magnanimously between the factions.
Imposing stricter language laws and instituting restrictions on religious items certainly isnt the way to solving issues IMO, these Quebec politicians can certainly talk the talk but are usually going the other way when it comes to walking the walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Imposing stricter language laws and instituting restrictions on religious items certainly isnt the way to solving issues IMO, these Quebec politicians can certainly talk the talk but are usually going the other way when it comes to walking the walk.
Our friend jambo has the "minority report" approach to politics - he sees and anticipates the "crime" even before it happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
I'm very tired of people saying that Quebec will be an economic disaster, or that it won't be able to govern itself - if it separates.

This is quite an imperialistic idea, which can be easily seen from people in many parts of the world where there is a separatist movement - I've personally asked a few Chinese guys about Tibet, and Turkish guys about the Kurds. Their answers are the same - "They won't be able to support themselves"

Total bull****. and Quebec is in about a hundred times better shape than those places.
Congratulations to you for being able to see through the dominant rhetoric. I am against Quebec independence and do believe there would be some consequences, but they are hugely exaggerated way too often.

And these exaggerations do nothing to help move the debate forward to a more intelligent place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Statehood would be virtually impossible but sure it could be an associated state of some kind.

I suspect that the U.S. wouldn't give a hoot about what language Quebec's schools taught in, whether Quebec had gun control and universal healthcare, or what the laws were on abortion. Or under what circumstances you could wear a burqa (or not) here...
Its a possibility that Quebec might try to get some "Commonwealth" relationship with the United States, sort of like Puerto Rico but negotiated on Quebec's own terms to protect the French language. Still having left one English speaking Federation (Canada) to join a even larger one (USA) is sort of like jumping from the frying pan into the fire - I think it more likely that Quebec would just try to be an independent country.

Another possibility - if Quebec wanted to join a Federation it might try to get some kind of association with the European Union under the sponsorship of France. This might be similar to Greenland's relationship with the European Union as a overseas part of Denmark.

Greenland

If you look at this map, the European Union already has numerous territories in North America, with Canada bordering French and Danish territory and the US bordering British territory.

Special member state territories and the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top