Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

[quote=quebon;31535711]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

My wife's experience has been quite different. The first generation of children affected from this law, may have "benefited" from learning French in order to fit into that society eventually as adults, but they are resentful at the same time. Leaving the school and friends they loved, to be thrown into a new environment, is quite traumatizing for a child. This is what we are discussing. .
Except that, if your wife had been in English school already when the law had passed, she could have stayed there. So I don't get your point? She would not have compelled to switch. The law didn't and does not work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM

[quote=quebon;31535711]
Quote:
Because frankly, I don't know many ethnics that voluntarily hang out with French Canadians. The children of loi 101 era will stick with their own kind, even as adults, and speak English amongst each other. Why? Because of the basic cultural differences that will always divide the French Canadians and the immigrant's child.
You're soooo out of touch with current realities, and yet so sure of the accuracy of your claims.

My kids go to school with a couple of hundred immigrant children who would be called children of Bill 101. They are playing with them in the schoolyard right now on lunch break as I write this. In French.

They come over to swim in our pool in the summer. My kids go swimming in theirs. They go to each other's birthday parties. They do all the stuff that normal kids do anywhere else in the world in socializing.

And they do it in French.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Note that a lot of the children of bill 101 (as you might call them) speak only basic English - and sometimes none at all - so outside of a few pockets in western Montreal they aren't likely to use English between themselves at all as French is almost always the stronger language in the gang that everyone has in common.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM

307 posts, read 267,986 times
Regardless, her parents moved her out of her English school and into a private school with French, because it was the new law and they knew what would be best for the future. I think that law is self-serving, and alienating to people. It was obviously not that parent's choice to place her in a French school to begin with.

Decades later, this Charter is alienating people and their religion. Mostly, a religion they are born into and not a choice. It is not like a born Catholic who decides it will be hip to now become a Buddhist. Islam is their identity. These are not people that are semi-practicing. These are hard-core believers that are being stripped of their identity, for a good part of their waking hours. I saw a French Canadian holding up this sign with a straight face. Seriously? "We only ask for 6.5 hours of your day."

QC should have never invited these people to immigrate there. They obviously base their choice in future immigrants on the wrong aspect: language. They did not take into consideration the new immigrant's culture and religion and how that would fit into the QC society. Some cultures are meant to be kept apart, they are no capable of assimilation.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM

[quote=Acajack;31535844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post

You're soooo out of touch with current realities, and yet so sure of the accuracy of your claims.

My kids go to school with a couple of hundred immigrant children who would be called children of Bill 101. They are playing with them in the schoolyard right now on lunch break as I write this. In French.

They come over to swim in our pool in the summer. My kids go swimming in theirs. They go to each other's birthday parties. They do all the stuff that normal kids do anywhere else in the world in socializing.

And they do it in French.
I am not referring to the new immigrants' kids that are born in the 2000's that don't know any different. I am talking about the European immigrants' kids born in QC in the 1970's; who were the first guinea pigs with this law. The immigration offices now are full of immigrants that already speak French. Europeans have stopped immigrating to QC. The new immigrants consist of Hindus and Muslims, check out your local office. All dark-skinned. No Caucasian in sight. This is why the new Charter is needed.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Note that a lot of the children of bill 101 (as you might call them) speak only basic English - and sometimes none at all - so outside of a few pockets in western Montreal they aren't likely to use English between themselves at all as French is almost always the stronger language in the gang that everyone has in common.
I don't think you are qualified to speak on behalf of immigrant children born in QC during the 70's, unless you are one yourself. You have no idea, as an outsider, I assume you are Quebecois, how this law affected a person. You can give your perspective of what you "see" around you all you want, but you cannot truly understand the impact.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Some cultures are meant to be kept apart, they are no capable of assimilation.
Aha! Gotcha Mr. Tolerance! Tolerance is only good for moralizing Quebec, right? And then, unexpectedly, the truth slips out!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I don't think you are qualified to speak on behalf of immigrant children born in QC during the 70's, unless you are one yourself. You have no idea, as an outsider, I assume you are Quebecois, how this law affected a person. You can give your perspective of what you "see" around you all you want, but you cannot truly understand the impact.
I am not speaking on behalf of anyone, I am only repeating what I have often heard in personal conversations and in the media.

It often goes like this: "My parents thought it really sucked and would have preferred us to go to English school, and so did I for most of my schooling. Which I why I high-tailed it to English CEGEP and McGill as soon as I was able to do so. But in retrospect, as much as I hate to admit it the PQ really did me a favour and looking back I wouldn't have nearly the levels I have in French today had I gone to English schools. I probably wouldn't speak much at all - certainly not with as much ease."

Old 09-24-2013, 11:54 AM

[quote=quebon;31536863]
Quote:

I am not referring to the new immigrants' kids that are born in the 2000's that don't know any different. I am talking about the European immigrants' kids born in QC in the 1970's; who were the first guinea pigs with this law. The immigration offices now are full of immigrants that already speak French. Europeans have stopped immigrating to QC. The new immigrants consist of Hindus and Muslims, check out your local office. All dark-skinned. No Caucasian in sight. This is why the new Charter is needed.
France has been number 1 or number 2 as a country of origin for immigrants to Quebec for most of the 2000s.

But yes, most immigrants are "visible minorities" and non-Europeans. What's the big deal?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Regardless, her parents moved her out of her English school and into a private school with French, because it was the new law and they knew what would be best for the future. I think that law is self-serving, and alienating to people. It was obviously not that parent's choice to place her in a French school to begin with.

Well, yes it was her parents' choice if the story you describe is correct. If she was already in English school she could have stayed there under the law.

Sounds like you are blaming the government for your wife's parents' decision (good or bad).

It's getting hard to follow this - and to take you seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada