Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 PM

542 posts, read 503,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And here you have the classic example of the attitude that wants all Anglos out of Quebec.
Do we really need people who may protest against Quebecs draconian language laws? nah lets get rid of em all eh!..
Not to worry No Manners Quebecs mission is close to a successful completion as i seem to be the only Quebec Anglo left who has a problem with Quebecs excessive language laws.Any other Quebec Anglos on this board either arent troubled with Quebec language laws or they have been so totally assimilated that they now consider themselves francophones.
You talk like you are one of the last Jews holding out in a neighbours attic in Nazi Germany. No one wants to get rid of anglo Quebecers. They are a great asset to our society. What we don't want is for their 10% to dominate the other 90% and reduce us to a second class of citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You talk like you are one of the last Jews holding out in a neighbours attic in Nazi Germany. No one wants to get rid of anglo Quebecers. They are a great asset to our society. What we don't want is for their 10% to dominate the other 90% and reduce us to a second class of citizens.

You seriously think that dropping Quebecs language laws and its language police is going to result in francophones being dominated by an 8% Anglo demographic?
This being your defacto way of thinking I can understand your lack of confidence in the strength and stability of your evidently feeble culture, a veritable legislated culture that without strict rules and regulations you are reduced to second class citizens?, a telling presumption.
I feel for ya PB as you are going to live your entire life with this constant cultural paranoia that those dastardly Anglos may all of a sudden return and eliminate the poor hapless francophones.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:03 PM

396 posts, read 409,968 times
Quote:
You seriously think that dropping Quebecs language laws and its language police is going to result in francophones being dominated by an 8% Anglo demographic?
This being your defacto way of thinking I can understand your lack of confidence in the strength and stability of your evidently feeble culture, a veritable legislated culture that without strict rules and regulations you are reduced to second class citizens?, a telling presumption.
I feel for ya PB as you are going to live your entire life with this constant cultural paranoia that those dastardly Anglos may all of a sudden return and eliminate the poor hapless francophones.
Ever heard of tyranny of the minority? An 8% demographic would benefit from a federal apparatus that is decidedly Anglo in sympathy and outlook. Hardly an outrageous fear.

As I said in another thread, I am not Québécois but I am proudly francophone, and I would hate to see Québec's separatist movement succeed. That said, your remarks are exactly the kinds of reasons why this mess refuses to die.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Ever heard of tyranny of the minority? An 8% demographic would benefit from a federal apparatus that is decidedly Anglo in sympathy and outlook. Hardly an outrageous fear.

As I said in another thread, I am not Québécois but I am proudly francophone, and I would hate to see Québec's separatist movement succeed. That said, your remarks are exactly the kinds of reasons why this mess refuses to die.
I've been living in Montreal as a bilingual Anglophone for 40 years and for the whole time i've been subjected to Quebecs obsessive language laws ,I'm not happy with having to abide by laws that basically tell me what language i legally have to live my life by,
I'm sure living in the USA your linguistic medium is English but if you want you have the freedom to post French signs,name your company a French name,speak French in your company,send your kids to French school if one is available and you so choose,not so for Anglophones in Quebec where everything must be French,its the law, perhaps if you were living in a place where linguistic freedoms were curtailed you might have an idea where i;m coming from,
As for this mess refusing to die? Not going to happen as long as the Anglo culture still remains in Quebec and is averse to its culture being systematically eradicated,
Whats your experience with Quebec?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 PM

244 posts, read 362,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
How is the minority dominating the majority in Quebec?

Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
They basically don't - today. But it can be said that they used to. Even though some on here might disagree.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Francophones have a cultural paranoia/fear when it comes to Anglos that evidently goes back centuries.,
Those dastardly Anglos are not to be trusted as you never know when that 8% Anglo demographic in Quebec could rise up and reduce the hapless francophone demographic to bowing down in humble subservience to their masters and overlords the english, Ever more linguistic rules and regulations need to be implemented to keep that Anglo demographic at bay lest they turn all francophones into Anglophones..

Old 08-21-2015, 08:54 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Francophones have a cultural paranoia/fear when it comes to Anglos that evidently goes back centuries.,
Those dastardly Anglos are not to be trusted as you never know when that 8% Anglo demographic in Quebec could rise up and reduce the hapless francophone demographic to bowing down in humble subservience to their masters and overlords the english, Ever more linguistic rules and regulations need to be implemented to keep that Anglo demographic at bay lest they turn all francophones into Anglophones..
Come to the English side. We have cookies.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Come to the English side. We have cookies.
Sure but we have better pastries! And pastries are better than cookies...

Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but, pre 1950's, it was this way for the Francophones in QC, even though back then, the English population may have been more like 15% as opposed to 8% like it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada