U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,558,029 times
Reputation: 598

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Proverbs 14:12 comes to mind when the judgment of people is invoked.
Are you incapable of offering an original opinion of your own?Bible verses can be found that will support slavery,or just about anything else you wishConservative preachers quoted the Bible for decades to oppose "mixing of the races".People who cannot offer anything but out of context Bible verses in discussions do not impress me much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,771,226 times
Reputation: 264
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow
So true! After we believe IN God, we should determine what we believe ABOUT Him, because that will effect our interpretation of scripture and the relationship we build with Him. What your answer is to the question, "Who do you say I am?" is very important. I'll let God the Father reveal that to me instead of man, just like Peter did. How many times on this forum have we been told that only man's interpretation of scripture can tell us who He is and that we are somehow secular, mystical, new-age nuts if we think God will reveal something to us? That's not what Jesus said!
Matthew 16:
13When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

14They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,[b] the Son of the living God." 17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Bad exegesis......obviously the blindness on your part has led you down a road of heresy....the scriptures are the living word, and the scripture breathed life in Christ (we have the mind of Christ...we have the knowledge of Christ), for He is the fulfillment of the prophets, in which Isaiah prophesied Him, and JTP opened the way up. Peter heard the tales, and the Father opened his mind.
So, if I understand your post that hardly addressed my point, you are saying that I'm down a road of heresy because I believe people need to decide what they believe about God. Right? So, do you think a better option is for me to take your word for it? Or are you saying I'm down a road of heresy because I believe God reveals Himself to us as the scriptures teach? The Father opened my mind, too.

Last edited by Bright Hope for Tomorrow; 07-05-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:15 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,771,226 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Who wiped out the entire human race for wickedness.
God is unchanging.

You people love to pick and choose God's character.
You often bring up the topic of God killing people or wiping them out. Everyone will be "wiped out," and not just the wicked. It might be due to disease, old age, car wreck, murder, war, whatever, but everyone will eventually die and God allowed all of them to die. I don't see why you compare that to eternal punishment. The fact that God allows someone to die does not make Him evil. Fruit dies, but if the seed is planted it grows into something more majestic. God does allow death, but it's all part of His plan. Like Phazelwood said, so what? In the whole scheme of things, life and death is a blink of the eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,615,939 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You often bring up the topic of God killing people or wiping them out. Everyone will be "wiped out," and not just the wicked. It might be due to disease, old age, car wreck, murder, war, whatever, but everyone will eventually die and God allowed all of them to die. I don't see why you compare that to eternal punishment. The fact that God allows someone to die does not make Him evil. Fruit dies, but if the seed is planted it grows into something more majestic. God does allow death, but it's all part of His plan. Like Phazelwood said, so what? In the whole scheme of things, life and death is a blink of the eye.
Exactly. We all die - in a multitude of ways. Some die quickly. Some slowly. Some horribly. Some peacefully.

God KILLS and God MAKES ALIVE. He is the one who has the power to do it. That fact has nothing to do with eternal torment, and it is a bit silly to compare death (which is actually quite merciful in the grand scheme of things) to endless torment.

PS. When you die, you are DEAD, not ALIVE in another location. That's why the resurrection is our hope...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 PM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,615,939 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Proverbs 14:12 comes to mind when the judgment of people is invoked.
Using this scripture to prove your point is sketchy at best:

Prov 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man,
but in the end it leads to death.


Eternal torment seems right to many people around here... but it will lead to death... after all, the wages of sin is death.

Thankfully Jesus came to give life to all. Death disappears when all are made alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,434,540 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
You are right! The sons of Levi are the elect. Yes?
Not all of them. The sons of Levi are the priestly order of the covenant.
They were purified, and the remnant was left.
Meaning, the others were cast into the lake of fire, and forever destroyed, as Malachi prophesied, John the Baptist, Jesus, and His disciples.
That is the message of Malachi 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,434,540 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Are you incapable of offering an original opinion of your own?Bible verses can be found that will support slavery,or just about anything else you wishConservative preachers quoted the Bible for decades to oppose "mixing of the races".People who cannot offer anything but out of context Bible verses in discussions do not impress me much.
Opinions are erred...the Holy Writ is not.
You claim to not believe all the Holy Writ, therefore, you are not Christian. You must accept the scriptures, as God breathed, or else, you are doomed to heresy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,434,540 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
You often bring up the topic of God killing people or wiping them out. Everyone will be "wiped out," and not just the wicked. It might be due to disease, old age, car wreck, murder, war, whatever, but everyone will eventually die and God allowed all of them to die. I don't see why you compare that to eternal punishment. The fact that God allows someone to die does not make Him evil. Fruit dies, but if the seed is planted it grows into something more majestic. God does allow death, but it's all part of His plan. Like Phazelwood said, so what? In the whole scheme of things, life and death is a blink of the eye.
I compare this:

UR claims God is all loving and will let no one perish.
UR claims God cannot kill, as He is incapable of it.

God has killed, destroyed and wiped out the human race except for Noah and his family.

God's character is more than just love, but is a righteous judge on those who are wicked and deny His Son. He destroyed wicked before, He does again.

UR picks and chooses what to believe about God.

A Christian accepts all of His character as Just.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,434,540 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Thankfully Jesus came to give life to all. Death disappears when all are made alive.
For those who put their faith in Him....yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2010, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,434,540 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

How come you hate the fact that God is love, and are hell bent on proving He is not ?
No....bent on providing the forum the lies that UR teaches. God is Love...of course...no one ever denies this...but He is also Just.

And justice has been served and will be served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top