U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,410 posts, read 20,134,460 times
Reputation: 2119

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
Back to the OP, as I was thinking about the parable of the lost coins, it occurred to me that the woman, who some here claim represents Jesus; however I am more inclined to think she represents the church; see Jer. 6:2 and Eph. 5:25...the woman's husband would be Jesus, the lost coins would be precious souls for which the church is responsible therefore it is the church who must never give up on searching for those members who are lost. The lamp would represent the Bible (Psalm 119:105)
The lost coin is at home. A backslid Christian, like the coin, more often is unaware of his lost condition; he is still in the church,(like the Laodicean, knows not that he is blind and naked) he may still pay tithes, and saying Lord, Lord, but his relationship is severed because of sin. The word of God brings light to his true condition, and should he recognise this, he will repent and be restored, hence joy in heaven.

The lost sheep is outside the fold, or outside the household. He knows he is lost.Severed from the fold and the shepherd, and is helpless.

There is a wider application to the coin parable. Rather than just a local church, it could apply to the world itself, where the church is responsible and accountable to God for sharing the love of Christ through the gospel message with all.
The 3 parables in Luke 15 are all saying the same thing,it's God who seeks and saves the lost.

“About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, ‘Saul! Saul! Why do you persecute me? Acts 22:6

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them. John 6:44.

There is only one result when Light shines in a man's heart, it's his time to believe, and that man is never the same again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Florida
58,782 posts, read 32,233,561 times
Reputation: 9485
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"John 8:33.
That was an interesting debate between the pharisees, and Jesus who declared the pharisees the "sons of the devil". Can you believe they thought they were saved just because they were in Abraham's bloodline Jesus did not consider them as children of God, but the children of the devil. And of course in Luke Jesus said some of them will never be saved. So, no, they are not the 99 sheep, and obviosuly if Jesus says some will never be saved, then there must be thr 11th coin and the 101th sheep, and all the goats who are the children of the devil and will not see eternal life.

Quote:
These ^^^^ are the 99 sheep left behind, the 9 coins not lost, the brother who never squandered his Father's inheritance.They might as well have said, how can you say we are lost as well as "how can you say that we shall be set free"
I am sorry, I do not know what that special charactes means. I don't think I even have it on my keyboard.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-23-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Florida
58,782 posts, read 32,233,561 times
Reputation: 9485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Not true.
The first account clearly says that they "heard a voice." This was Luke's account (if indeed he is the writer of Acts).
Paul later stated that they "didn't hear" the voice. This was Paul's account. Completely different.

You are adding your interpretation to what is written. If the meaning was "not understand" then that is what would have been written (imo..).
Don't accuse me of such thing. Is this a big deal for you? It is not for me. I checked the Greek and it sure seems to say they did not understand. Even in English, you can say "you're not hearing me" meaning "you're not understanding me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,135,974 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Don't accuse me of such thing. Is this a big deal for you? It is not for me. I checked the Greek and it sure seems to say they did not understand. Even in English, you can say "you're not hearing me" meaning "you're not understanding me".
No, of course it's not a big deal; neither is most of our conversation here.
I'm just saying that I see two different accounts. I don't speak Greek, but I don't need to. The English Bible says two different things. So I accept it as being two different things, without "reading into it" or studying other languages.

Blessings
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,410 posts, read 20,134,460 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That was an interesting debate between the pharisees, who Jesus declared the "sons of the devil". Can you believe they thought they were saved just because they were in Abraham's bloodline Jesus did not consider them as children of God, but the children of the devil. And of course in Luke Jesus said some of them will never be saved. So, no, they are not the 99 sheep, and obviosuly if Jesus says some will never be saved, then there must be thr 11th coin and the 101th sheep, and all the goats who are the children of the devil and will not see eternal life.



I am sorry, I do not know what that special charactes means. I don't think I even have it on my keyboard.
It truely is amazing how blind we can be to what we are ourselves in the flesh.

Throughout scripture this is made clear and that same flesh will never be saved, it will always be flesh that will always reject all that is of God.


1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time(including the pharisees in John 8), gratifying the cravings of our flesh[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 BUT because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy Ephesians 1

You to were a child of the devil, and until you can accept this you will continue to see everyone who is not how you think "you are" in a bad light.

Why is it so difficult for a fundamentalist to remember their former self, that they were lost and Jesus found them,yet they twist it by saying i was found when i said "i believe in Jesus", you were dead in trespasses and sin, how is a dead man able to find himself out of a lost cause ?, how can blind man see ?, how can a deaf man hear ?. Yet bizarrely the Fundy say's confessing "i believe in Jesus" magically makes all these things happen. You just couldn't make it up.

There is one reason i believe on Jesus, because of and by him

NO ONE can come to me unless the Father who sent me,draws him. John 6:44


Here's the one whom the scriptures tells us who seeks out the lost, who opens the eyes and ears of those dead in trespasses and sin.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."Luke 4

Yet we still will not humble ourselves upon reading this and acknowledge it's all him.

Is it any wonder that we can believe Jesus is able to save all, when we refuse to acknowledge we are who and where we are because of him.

By the way FJ ,when i do this ^^^^^^^^^ i am pointing to the scripture or what is quoted directly above it.

You have as much goat in you as i have .

Last edited by pcamps; 03-23-2011 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Florida
58,782 posts, read 32,233,561 times
Reputation: 9485
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
,when i do this ^^^^^^^^^ i am pointing to the scripture or what is quoted directly above it.
OK. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,410 posts, read 20,134,460 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
ET is simply a test being used by God to see who actually trusts in His power to perform what He said He wills to do, namely:

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

In many ways this test is similar to that spoken to Sarah. Like Sarah, most will laugh, and like Sarah did also, they'll deny it when they stand before Jesus:

Gen 18:13 And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?
Gen 18:14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD ? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
Gen 18:15 Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.

Yea UR gets laughed at because to the natural man the even the thought of it being true is absurd,foolish and simply not just.

Right........is anything to hard for the Lord ? only in the minds of those that cannot call the thing that are not as though they were.When God says it it's fine, when a believer say it, he is called dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
 
20,411 posts, read 15,780,702 times
Reputation: 7645
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It truely is amazing how blind we can be to what we are ourselves in the flesh.

Throughout scripture this is made clear and that same flesh will never be saved, it will always be flesh that will always reject all that is of God.


1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time(including the pharisees in John 8), gratifying the cravings of our flesh[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 BUT because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy Ephesians 1

You to were a child of the devil, and until you can accept this you will continue to see everyone who is not how you think "you are" in a bad light.

Why is it so difficult for a fundamentalist to remember their former self, that they were lost and Jesus found them
Baseless accusation.

Quote:
,yet they twist it by saying i was found when i said "i believe in Jesus",
Acts 16:30 'and after he [the jailor] brought them out, he said, ''Sirs, what must I do to be saved?'' 31] And they said, ''Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...''

John 3:16 ''For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.''

Quote:
you were dead in trespasses and sin, how is a dead man able to find himself out of a lost cause ?, how can blind man see ?, how can a deaf man hear ?. Yet bizarrely the Fundy say's confessing "i believe in Jesus" magically makes all these things happen. You just couldn't make it up.
The common grace ministry of God the Holy Spirit [John 16:8-11] at the point of Gospel hearing [Romans 10:17].

Even Calvin understood the ministry of Common grace at the point of gospel hearing as is mentioned in this study on Common grace.

http://www.spiritandtruth.org/teachi...cles/28/28.pdf


Quote:
There is one reason i believe on Jesus, because of and by him

NO ONE can come to me unless the Father who sent me,draws him. John 6:44

Here's the one whom the scriptures tells us who seeks out the lost, who opens the eyes and ears of those dead in trespasses and sin.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor."Luke 4

Yet we still will not humble ourselves upon reading this and acknowledge it's all him.

Is it any wonder that we can believe Jesus is able to save all, when we refuse to acknowledge we are who and where we are because of him.
Man is able to resist the offer of salvation and remain eternally lost. And as is seen in the link I provided above and below, even Calvin understood that salvation is offered by God.

http://www.spiritandtruth.org/teachi...cles/28/28.pdf

You can either look at this study and make an honest effort to understand what it says or you can choose not to. Your choice. No further comments from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Florida
58,782 posts, read 32,233,561 times
Reputation: 9485
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
ET is simply a test being used by God to see who actually trusts in His power to perform what He said He wills to do
Good grief, what if you fail the test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,410 posts, read 20,134,460 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Baseless accusation.



Acts 16:30 'and after he [the jailor] brought them out, he said, ''Sirs, what must I do to be saved?'' 31] And they said, ''Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...''

John 3:16 ''For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.''



The common grace ministry of God the Holy Spirit [John 16:8-11] at the point of Gospel hearing [Romans 10:17].

Even Calvin understood the ministry of Common grace at the point of gospel hearing as is mentioned in this study on Common grace.

http://www.spiritandtruth.org/teachi...cles/28/28.pdf




Man is able to resist the offer of salvation and remain eternally lost. And as is seen in the link I provided above and below, even Calvin understood that salvation is offered by God.

http://www.spiritandtruth.org/teachi...cles/28/28.pdf

You can either look at this study and make an honest effort to understand what it says or you can choose not to. Your choice. No further comments from me.
You basically have no faith in the word of God to accomplish what it is sent out to do.The ones hearing are the ones believing, the ones who are not hearing although they are hearing are not believing.



You believe in a lot of stuff Mike555, but i find it hard to believe you believe in the good news. I too believed like you did for a while, so what you are saying is no suprise to me, including the links you have given, then i believed the good news, and my life changed.


The message of christendom because more clear on here as the days go by

He discovers us in our state of being dead in trespasses and sin,in that much darkness the light we may have is darkness,blind to anything that is of God and with ears that cannot hear, and rather than jumping into the miry clay and setting our feet upon a rock, he shouts down into the hole we have fallen into and says believe in me and i will come down and rescue you, the world goes to far greater lengths to rescue someone than this false Jesus you believe in.

You believe those who passed by the poor man beaten and robbed in the parable of the good samaritan are all Jesus, but you cannot see it.


Jesus is the good samaritan



But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

Did the poor man beaten and robbed have to make a choice before the Samaritan came to his aid ? Do you believe Jesus said to him Can i help you ?

By the way i couldn't careless what Calvin has got to say. These day's i care what Christ in me has got to say.

Last edited by pcamps; 03-23-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top