Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
According to you, isn't everyone at peace with God?
No i have never said anything of the sort. Jesus Christ the prince of peace can be nothing but be at peace with the world, it took a message from the prince of peace for us to know this and change our conception of where God is in His thoughts towards us. His feet are lovely, His message is one of peace and good will to all men , its a shame Christianity that claims him as their own isn't in that same place of being.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end

The expected end is to walk in the path of peace. God will and is accomplishing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 11:55 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Well, IMO, seems like a lot of these people in the world are just 'write offs' (for lack of a better word) and God doesn't care what they're doing or not doing anymore. He probably decided nothing fruitful is going to come of them.

People are saying if you want to go do this or don't do that, so it's a toss up as to who's going to Heaven and who's not at this point.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
It says DO NOT LOVE the world. That means people LOVE the wrong things. If they do that they do not have the fathers love.

Sit and absorb that. Loving the world will keep you from entering Gods kingdom here on earth and in heaven.
That is true...if one values material things more than having unconditional agape love for people...ALL PEOPLE...the Kingdom of God will be difficult to find...for it is in unconditonally loving ALL people that we manifest God, who dwells WITHIN US, into the world...it is how the Kingdom is manifest on the earth.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 AM

398 posts, read 545,614 times
I really can't believe how you folks split hairs. To me it seems like every other post is essentially asking "...but what do you MEAN by that?"! I speak English rather well and when I read that I am to love God with my whole being and to love my neighbor as myself----including my enemies---that seems awfully clear and concise. I don't know why it seems so important for people here to make something so clear and plain into such Intellectual Gymnastics. Whats the matter; don't you folks have any friends?

My sense is that if you just invested yourselves in loving God and your neighbors (and your enemies) more, you wouldn't have to worry so much about whats going to happen after you die.

IMHO.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post

My sense is that if you just invested yourselves in loving God and your neighbors (and your enemies) more, you wouldn't have to worry so much about whats going to happen after you die.

IMHO.
Unfortunately The crux of the Christianity message is about what happens after you die. Jesus Christ never taught us to think this way or use it to motivate folk to believe. He came that we might have life and life more abundantly, and the way to tap into this abundant life in the here and now is by following his teachings.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Unfortunately The crux of the Christianity message is about what happens after you die. Jesus Christ never taught us to think this way or use it to motivate folk to believe. He came that we might have life and life more abundantly, and the way to tap into this abundant life in the here and now is by following his teachings.
Excuse me....gotta ask........ What the heck NT have YOU been reading?

If there is ONE message that comes through from Jesus over and over and over again its "don't worry"!!!

How many times do you have to read the Gospels before this gets through? Its right there in the book when He asks, "who of you by worrying can add a single hair to your head?" The Man tells you not to worry about what you are going to eat or what you are going to wear. I don't read anywhere in the Gospels where Jesus tells us that our job is to sit around obsessing about what happens after we die.
God already has that covered.

The whole trick is to seek after "the Kingdom of God". Thats how we polish the rough edges off of what God has given us.

Where is it? Inside of you and outside of you----everywhere.

How do you distill it out? A.) Love God with your whole Being. B.) Love your Neighbor as Yourself.

Any Questions?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd love to see how you define that.

I'm a pastor. I've been to seminary. What is your theological training?
Likewise I am a minister and have been to seminary. That is about the only thing we have in common. I cannot use my training, nor years of experience, in anyway to come up with the conclusions and absolute truths you do, nor can I close my mind to the love of God that is found in all creation, regardless of whether you are a Christian or not.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Excuse me....gotta ask........ What the heck NT have YOU been reading?

If there is ONE message that comes through from Jesus over and over and over again its "don't worry"!!!

How many times do you have to read the Gospels before this gets through? Its right there in the book when He asks, "who of you by worrying can add a single hair to your head?" The Man tells you not to worry about what you are going to eat or what you are going to wear. I don't read anywhere in the Gospels where Jesus tells us that our job is to sit around obsessing about what happens after we die.
God already has that covered.

The whole trick is to seek after "the Kingdom of God". Thats how we polish the rough edges off of what God has given us.

Where is it? Inside of you and outside of you----everywhere.

How do you distill it out? A.) Love God with your whole Being. B.) Love your Neighbor as Yourself.

Any Questions?
Glad to be here, did you notice the very first word I said on the post of mine you quoted ?That is the message of Christianity, not the message of Jesus Christ, a whole lotta of difference between the two.

Actually did you read beyond the first sentence ?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Glad to be here, did you notice the very first word I said on the post of mine you quoted ?That is the message of Christianity, not the message of Jesus Christ, a whole lotta of difference between the two.

Actually did you read beyond the first sentence ?

OK, OK....maybe its just me. Somewhere along the line I seem to be hearing people representing or characterizing things as "Christianity", "being Christian", "following Jesus", "following Christ" and about a dozen other conditions. I apologize if I got caught-up in a "distinction without a difference".

Could be that I need to read more closely....

or maybe I just need a couple of aspirins.

Sorry.

FWIW.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
OK, OK....maybe its just me. Somewhere along the line I seem to be hearing people representing or characterizing things as "Christianity", "being Christian", "following Jesus", "following Christ" and about a dozen other conditions. I apologize if I got caught-up in a "distinction without a difference".

Could be that I need to read more closely....

or maybe I just need a couple of aspirins.

Sorry.

FWIW.
No problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity