Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
I gathered enough means you ignore all scripture that doesn't fit your thinking or you change its meaning to fit your thinking. I cant explain anything further to you. I guess you think everyone is going to heaven which is ridiculous but if that's what you want to believe go ahead.
Again, "going to heaven" is not my focus, but rather on experiencing the kingdom of heaven in the here and now.

And, again with the "ignoring or changing scripture" ... that slices ALL ways, since all of us are interpreting what we read in the bible based on a myriad of life experiences, biases, teachings we have absorbed, etc., and based on where the Light has scattered the darkness in our own lives, and based on the areas where the Light is concentrating it's beam in our thinking at any given moment. So, of course our understanding of what we read is going to be unique to each of us and, if we are not stagnated, even our own understanding will change over time.

That's not a bad thing. We've all got to travel our own path in our own time. The hope is (imo) that we can support each other by sharing what we have learned and are learning. Some things that people share will fit with where we are and either encourage us or challenge us, and other things won't. It'd just be good if we could all learn to stop shutting someone down by labeling their beliefs as ridiculous or unbiblical or whatever because their current understanding doesn't mesh with our current understanding. That's something we can all work on, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And what do you think is meant by "the love of the Father is not in him?" Because whatever you think it means, apply it to Christians as well, since they also have "the lust of the flesh and eyes and the pride of life" ... unless you think Christians no longer have a sinful human nature?
It says DO NOT LOVE the world. That means people LOVE the wrong things. If they do that they do not have the fathers love.

Sit and absorb that. Loving the world will keep you from entering Gods kingdom here on earth and in heaven.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Again, "going to heaven" is not my focus, but rather on experiencing the kingdom of heaven in the here and now.

And, again with the "ignoring or changing scripture" ... that slices ALL ways, since all of us are interpreting what we read in the bible based on a myriad of life experiences, biases, teachings we have absorbed, etc., and based on where the Light has scattered the darkness in our own lives, and based on the areas where the Light is concentrating it's beam in our thinking at any given moment. So, of course our understanding of what we read is going to be unique to each of us and, if we are not stagnated, even our own understanding will change over time.

That's not a bad thing. We've all got to travel our own path in our own time. The hope is (imo) that we can support each other by sharing what we have learned and are learning. Some things that people share will fit with where we are and either encourage us or challenge us, and other things won't. It'd just be good if we could all learn to stop shutting someone down by labeling their beliefs as ridiculous or unbiblical or whatever because their current understanding doesn't mesh with our current understanding. That's something we can all work on, I'm sure.
ok I got you. This thread is about going to heaven though. I don't mean to "shut you down" but i think its serious when you stand firm against what scripture clearly says. The bible isn't some big mystery, its very easy to understand.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
It says DO NOT LOVE the world. That means people LOVE the wrong things. If they do that they do not have the fathers love.

Sit and absorb that. Loving the world will keep you from entering Gods kingdom here on earth and in heaven.
Loving the world is a way of thinking........ Being carnally minded. Christians are not exempt from it and if we are not experiencing the reality of the "Life" that He came that we might have ( abundant life), its because we are worldly in our thinking( think like the world)

If we believe entering the kingdom is about going to heaven,there is no doubt we love the world, because the world thinks that is what it is about.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
ok I got you. This thread is about going to heaven though. I don't mean to "shut you down" but i think its serious when you stand firm against what scripture clearly says. The bible isn't some big mystery, its very easy to understand.
The carnal mind can not understand the things of God, they are absolutely a mystery to it. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old ( certainly a mystery to this old boy)

Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,498 times
Quote:

Well said!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,498 times
Quote:
Perhaps 'going to heaven' does not mean the same thing to everyone though. Perhaps thinking it is some castle sitting among the clouds, or some misty place is not what 'heaven' is. But peace with the Father, peace towards our enemies, love of life...not saying our focus should be on wealth or the riches of this carnal world, but there are things here that we can enjoy and I don't think that God frowns upon the joy we experience from peace with those around us, or laughter, etc.

So perhaps discussion about what 'heaven' is isn't departing from this thread unless you put a strict definition and say the discussion has to be limited to YOUR definition of 'heaven.'

Joy

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Heaven to me is peace with God.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Heaven to me is peace with God.
According to you, isn't everyone at peace with God?

Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
Perhaps 'going to heaven' does not mean the same thing to everyone though. Perhaps thinking it is some castle sitting among the clouds, or some misty place is not what 'heaven' is. But peace with the Father, peace towards our enemies, love of life...not saying our focus should be on wealth or the riches of this carnal world, but there are things here that we can enjoy and I don't think that God frowns upon the joy we experience from peace with those around us, or laughter, etc.

So perhaps discussion about what 'heaven' is isn't departing from this thread unless you put a strict definition and say the discussion has to be limited to YOUR definition of 'heaven.'

Joy
Perhaps.......

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity