Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
You can.
So can I then presume that you are lacking some of your limbs and an eye or two?

For I've been told that you guys think we're ALL evil sinners, even those who believe as you do, so it's fairly safe to assume that, unless you are a very young child, your limbs or eyes must have offended thee at some point.

No? You never looked at a pretty girl with just a wee bit of lust? Never wrote something that was untrue, or mean? Never stole a pen?

I don't believe you, and you haven't even denied it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
This is becoming increasingly evident to me in these threads.

We have the people who find shelter in Jesus for His message about what this life is about.

Then we have people who find security in Christ for is waiting in the NEXT Life.

Given the Choice, I want to be the best person I can be here. My Faith is that God will address anything that needs to be addressed afterwards.

FWIW.
Christians have both- the abundant life now, and an eternal home with Christ. John 10 and 14

Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
ok I got you. This thread is about going to heaven though. I don't mean to "shut you down" but i think its serious when you stand firm against what scripture clearly says. The bible isn't some big mystery, its very easy to understand.
Seriously??? Then explain why there are some 30,000 denominations of Christianity and just as many different interpretations of what the bible says...

The only thing easy to understand about it is that contradictions can be found in every book contained in it so claiming that it is easy to understand is not only unreasonable but extremely deceitful.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Seriously??? Then explain why there are some 30,000 denominations of Christianity and just as many different interpretations of what the bible says...
Can you provide a list of them? Or are you just parroting what you read somewhere else without bothering to think about it?
Quote:

The only thing easy to understand about it is that contradictions can be found in every book contained in it so claiming that it is easy to understand is not only unreasonable but extremely deceitful.
No....there really aren't any contradictions. Read it in context and it's really not that complicated.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you provide a list of them? Or are you just parroting what you read somewhere else without bothering to think about it?

No....there really aren't any contradictions. Read it in context and it's really not that complicated.
Seriously??? Go to Google and type in bible contradictions....you will find a very long list of them. Please try taking the time to actually study them before you make any further foolish comments about there not being any contradictions in the bible.

BTW...I'm having a hard time swallowing that you are any kind of real pastor that has attended seminary or has any kind of theological education, given the things you've posted thus far...and I don't believe I'm alone in those thoughts.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Seriously??? Go to Google and type in bible contradictions....you will find a very long list of them. Please try taking the time to actually study them before you make any further foolish comments about there not being any contradictions in the bible.
So you don't know them...you're just spouting off what someone else said. gotcha.
Quote:
BTW...I'm having a hard time swallowing that you are any kind of real pastor that has attended seminary or has any kind of theological education, given the things you've posted thus far...and I don't believe I'm alone in those thoughts.
I'm guessing that anyone that has gone to seminary and holds to what the Bible actually says would probably be laughed at by you and several others here. But the problem doesn't lie in what we believe or teach.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So you don't know them...you're just spouting off what someone else said. gotcha.

I'm guessing that anyone that has gone to seminary and holds to what the Bible actually says would probably be laughed at by you and several others here. But the problem doesn't lie in what we believe or teach.
I know them and have actually studied them extensively...can you say the same??? I rest my case.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM

398 posts, read 545,879 times
Quote:

I don't think it has much to do with the Bible. Just follow the money....

In my personal experience I have found that the book itself is not that hard to follow or understand. Whats hard to follow or understand is what people MAKE of what they find in the Bible. Its like that famous quote from Ezechial and the next thing ya know we're talking about extraterrestials and space craft!

Its an inspirational (maybe even an "inspired") book that gives us a lot of sound guidance so we don't have to make all of our mistakes ourselves.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,259 times
Quote:

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

2 Timothy 4:3

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

2 Timothy 4:3
Like I said....explain why there are some 30,000 denominations of Christianity and just as many interpretations of what the bible says. Which denomination determines what is "sound" doctrine and what is not...yours????

FYI...I don't gather around anybody to teach me simply due to the above. There is NO CONSISTENCY in teaching when it comes to Christianity...every church and denomination has their own interpretation of what the bible says and most will accept whatever their particular church is teaching as "sound" doctrine. What I know, I've learned from many years of critical study...I've removed my blinders and have kept an open mind...nor do I reject concrete evidence because it contradicts what the bible says (a man-made collection of books written by many people and some authorless). While I accept that some of the writers may have been inspired to write certain things, it wasn't dictated by God and everything they wrote still went through the filter of their brain and their cultural bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity