Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
To be honest, that comment (which comes off as snarkiness) doesn't give me a lot of incentive to continue this conversation with you.

If you'll give a genuine response to this post first, perhaps we can continue.
no snarkiness, just confused on denial of clearly quoted scripture. I gave you a response and said fair enough. I agree, you can view the kingdom of heaven as just that but we also spend eternal life in heaven. Can you explain?

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,982,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
That's easy. I believe in God the Father and in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son our Lord -- I believe in the living power of God's indwelling Holy Spirit and in God's inspired written Word, the Bible.

Any time the world differs in even the smallest issue, I know that the world is wrong and God is right! I know how the story unfolds and the future of the world, Israel and mankind. I have no fear in life and amazed at how the peace of God that passes all understanding fills my life.

This life, world and my old carcass are passing away, but God's Kingdom and the Spirit world are always new and exciting. If I die today, I will count it gain, but, if I live until tomorrow, I will count it as a blessing and another opportunity to serve my Lord. Praise be to God!
Amen to that!! I couldn't have said it better my friend.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
No, it's totally relevant want you think because YOU are the one that said "Christ who is love lives in us and that is what saves us" sounds like legalism to you. I have no idea why you would think that, so you're the one that would need to explain how you come up with that in order for me to understand where you're coming from.
It sounds like you're suggesting that unless we love we aren't saved. That is legalism--because it relies on us doing something. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, so I asked for clarification. Now....instead of me putting words in your mouth, can you answer the question?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It sounds like you're suggesting that unless we love we aren't saved. That is legalism--because it relies on us doing something.
This is where you seem to be confused about what I said. I said it is Christ/God in us that is doing something, and that is what I'm relying on. How is that legalism? Isn't that what you rely on?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
It sounds like you're suggesting that unless we love we aren't saved. That is legalism--because it relies on us doing something. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, so I asked for clarification. Now....instead of me putting words in your mouth, can you answer the question?
No Vizio you being a pastor should know it's a fruit of the Spirit, evidence of what spirit we are of.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
no snarkiness, just confused on denial of clearly quoted scripture.
Okay, let's back up. Here's how the conversation went:

Quote:
So if I reject Christ and Love Allah will I go to heaven?
Quote:
Since Christ IS love, the only way to reject Christ is by rejecting love.

All who love are born of God.
Quote:
Can you answer the question? or just dance around it.

Quote:
Sorry, in my mind I did answer it but I realize some further explanation would be helpful. You are talking about "going to heaven". I can't think of a place in the scripture that uses that terminology. It speaks of entering the kingdom of heaven/God, and it further defines the the kingdom of God as righteousness, peace and joy in the Spirit. In other words, aisi, entering the kingdom of heaven is the state of mind we inhabit when we are experiencing Christ in us. Christ IS love. Therefore, when we are experiencing love, we have entered the kingdom of heaven.

You are focused on the "going to heaven" aspect, whereas that is NOT my focus. I realized that I had not been clear about that, which is the reason I took the time to explain what my focus IS (the "kingdom of God" which is righteousness, peace and joy in the Spirit). I didn't mean for that to be the main point, just a clarification for the sake of our discussion.

The main point I was addressing is that I do not see "rejecting Christ" in the same way that you do. I believe Christ who is LOVE is in us and is always working to manifest through us. When love is not being manifested through us, those are the times that we are rejecting Christ.

Then you proceeded to quote some passages which you interpret as saying that you're "going to heaven". I don't see those passages in the same way as you do, but I also don't see that discussion as anything but a side-bar. Do you see now where I'm coming from?

Quote:
I gave you a response and said fair enough. I agree, you can view the kingdom of heaven as just that
Good enough.

Quote:
but we also spend eternal life in heaven. Can you explain?

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
If you believe this refers to "going to heaven", that's fine with me. I have no problem with you believing that. But I don't necessarily believe that "going to heaven" or, as this passages actually says, "so shall we ever be with the Lord", means the same thing you do. But again, I don't need to hash that out with you because to reiterate: The main point I was addressing is that I do not see "rejecting Christ" in the same way that you do. I believe Christ who is LOVE is in us and is always working to manifest through us. When love is not being manifested through us, those are the times that we are rejecting Christ.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No Vizio you being a pastor should know it's a fruit of the Spirit, evidence of what spirit we are of.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Exactly what I was attempting to express. Thank you.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

OK? I'd like to know if that is what he was saying. Remember though--the fruit is not what saves us. Our faith in Christ is what saves us. The fruit merely tells us what the faith is.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I was attempting to express. Thank you.
So is it faith that savers us? If so...faith in what? Or is it "love in us"?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
OK? I'd like to know if that is what he was saying. Remember though--the fruit is not what saves us. Our faith in Christ is what saves us. The fruit merely tells us what the faith is.
Saves you from what ? Faith in Christ is what we Live by .

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Neither saying you are Christian is of any value if our faith is not expressing itself through love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity