Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Seeing as how Jesus spoke harshly ONLY to Pharisees, the religious zealots of that day, I suspect the highlighted verse was aimed at them.

So perhaps the religious zealots of THIS day and age should take heed.

Yeah, Jesus shouldn't have spent so much time with sinners that he would be called a glutton and winebibber. Just imagine what God thinks of that kind of sin!
Jesus didn't speak too kindly to the rich man. He told him the cold truth, didn't try to give him a comforting solution to the problem.

Quote:

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard[b] to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

Mark 10:21

Old 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If God sends you to Hell, what does that say about how he feels about you?

Is condemning one to Hell a loving acting, or an act born of hatred?
No I won't be sent to hell. I have Jesus Christ as my personal saviour.

God is patient with everyone and wants everyone to turn to him. Sure many will reject Jesus Christ but God is not finished with anyone here as long as they are living. If there is life there is still hope for people.

There was a time where I did not believe in God, yet there were conditions in my life that really changed my views in life. Now I fully believe Jesus has always been around and striving to reach to me even when I was lost. Since I gave my life to Jesus and repented all the sins I had I have not looked back. I have been born again and it is a new life. I have found inner peace now as a Christian, and it was not so when I did not have Jesus in me.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 959 times
Amen Other99. Totally agree. God is good and God is love. He is not mad at anyone nor is He in a bad mood. Satan is the God of this world because Adam gave him temporary authority. The devil's lease will eventually end but in the mean time he can wreak havoc where Believers are not taking their authority in Christ. God is in 'overall' control but every person has a will to choose to give their life to Jesus or not. God did not create man to be a robot. He has free will and 2 Peter 3:9 makes it clear that God does not want any man to perish.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
No I won't be sent to hell. I have Jesus Christ as my personal saviour.

God is patient with everyone and wants everyone to turn to him. Sure many will reject Jesus Christ but God is not finished with anyone here as long as they are living. If there is life there is still hope for people.

There was a time where I did not believe in God, yet there were conditions in my life that really changed my views in life. Now I fully believe Jesus has always been around and striving to reach to me even when I was lost. Since I gave my life to Jesus and repented all the sins I had I have not looked back. I have been born again and it is a new life. I have found inner peace now as a Christian, and it was not so when I did not have Jesus in me.
I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about people God has sent to Hell or will send to Hell. If God sends a person to Hell, what does that say about how God feels about that person? Is condemning one to Hell a loving acting, or an act born of hatred?

It seems patently clear to me that if God condemns a person to Hell, then God hates that person. If God didn't hate that person, then God wouldn't condemn him or her to Hell.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:21 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Jesus didn't speak too kindly to the rich man. He told him the cold truth, didn't try to give him a comforting solution to the problem.

Mark 10:21
VERY interesting you would bring that up!! Who were the rich in Palestine in that day and age? The landed gentry, the Pharisees and the Saducees--the religious zealots of the day.

Quote:
The Jewish religious and governing system was divided between two parties: the Pharisees – the ‘people’s party’, taught the law and traditions of Israel’s patriarchs, and were strictly conforming to Jewish law; and the Sadducees – the wealthy and conservative leaders who rejected the traditions in favor of political and religious cooperation with the Romans.
http://www.jesuscentral.com/ji/histo...urycontext.php

Now you are catching on. Congrats.

Please note the rich man was not condemned for what he had done--but for what he failed to do. So it is with those who stand against their gay brothers and lesbian sisters. They are not condemned for what they have done, but what they fail to do--make peace with their brother and sister before the judge comes and makes them pay every last farthing.

So try going to those gays and lesbians you know and giving them every thing that you value in your life (as the rich man valued his money and Jesus told him to give it to the poor, the very people he thought he was better than).

Last edited by Wardendresden; 12-22-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 PM

951 posts, read 1,053,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well i guess you might as well put to death those evil in your eyes homosexuals after you have done stoning the adulterers. The 2nd greatest commandment in action
No. I would not take the law into my own hands.

But one should cry and sigh for all the evil in the land as Ezekiel 9 suggests:

Ezekiel 9:1-11
(1) He cried also in mine ears with a loud voice, saying, Cause them that have charge over the city to draw near, even every man with his destroying weapon in his hand.
(2) And, behold, six men came from the way of the higher gate, which lieth toward the north, and every man a slaughter weapon in his hand; and one man among them was clothed with linen, with a writer's inkhorn by his side: and they went in, and stood beside the brasen altar.
(3) And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer's inkhorn by his side;
(4) And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
(5) And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
(6) Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
(7) And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.
(8) And it came to pass, while they were slaying them, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?
(9) Then said he unto me, The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is exceeding great, and the land is full of blood, and the city full of perverseness: for they say, The LORD hath forsaken the earth, and the LORD seeth not.
(10) And as for me also, mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity, but I will recompense their way upon their head.
(11) And, behold, the man clothed with linen, which had the inkhorn by his side, reported the matter, saying, I have done as thou hast commanded me.

Many not only think that God isn't looking but they don't even believe there is a God period. They are in for quite a shock one day.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 PM

951 posts, read 1,053,636 times
Quote:

Wardendresden

So try going to those gays and lesbians you know and giving them every thing that you value in your life (as the rich man valued his money and Jesus told him to give it to the poor, the very people he thought he was better than
If you were honest you would declare to them and convict them of their sin so they could avoid the evil consequences that come with sin. You are the one who does not really care or you would take the unpopular position and uphold the teachings of God against this sin and be on God's side instead of the world's side.

To not even have the intestinal fortitude to acknowledge that it is or is not a sin makes it look like you are going to double cross these people when you come before the Judgment Seat of Christ and try to claim that you never taught that this is not a sin. Since Christ can read your inner most thoughts you won't get away with it.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
If you were honest you would declare to them and convict them of their sin so they could avoid the evil consequences that come with sin. You are the one who does not really care or you would take the unpopular position and uphold the teachings of God against this sin and be on God's side instead of the world's side.
You are usurping God's role. It is for God to convict . . . NOT you. You exceed our mandate to spread the Good News (Gospel).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
To not even have the intestinal fortitude to acknowledge that it is or is not a sin makes it look like you are going to double cross these people when you come before the Judgment Seat of Christ and try to claim that you never taught that this is not a sin. Since Christ can read your inner most thoughts you won't get away with it.
::Sigh:: You will have to account for YOUR life . . . NOT anyone else's. Your preoccupation with the sins of others will not help you to account for your own. In fact, the negative consequences your condemnation and judgments heap onto others because of your preoccupation with their sins will need to be accounted for, IMO. You should have enough to do to deal with your own shortcomings. Leave others to God. It is between them and God anyway. You are not involved.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-22-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
I'm still waiting the Fundamentalist "explanation" if homosexuality is so evil as to why God chose homosexual King James to underwrite, endorse, and promote the KJV bible which is the prolific bible in existence.

In the 1580s, King James openly kissed Francis Stewart Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell. Contemporary sources clearly hinted their relationship was a sexual one. When James inherited the English throne from Queen Elizabeth I in 1603, it was openly joked of the new English monarch in London that “Elizabeth was King: now James is Queen!” If there is still any doubt, it should be noted that George Villiers, also held an intimate relationship with King James, about which King James himself was quite open. King James called Villiers his “wife” and called himself Villiers' “husband”! King James died in 1625 of gout and senility. He is buried in the Henry VII chapel in Westminster Abbey, with one of his favorite male suitors on his right, and another on his left.

Seems strange that a God all into holiness and hating "evil" homosexuals would use a homosexual for such a glorious undertaking.

Then again, it is not strange at all if He views homosexuals as part of His creation.

Be sure any creative Fundamentalist explanation that arises will be given the same blessing as any scripture verse.

Post 1776 has the source listed for information about King James. It is a website that specializes in selling Bibles so it has no vested interest in making a bible "look bad."

Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about people God has sent to Hell or will send to Hell. If God sends a person to Hell, what does that say about how God feels about that person? Is condemning one to Hell a loving acting, or an act born of hatred?

It seems patently clear to me that if God condemns a person to Hell, then God hates that person. If God didn't hate that person, then God wouldn't condemn him or her to Hell.
Seems if you do not fully understand who is sent to hell. It is Satan who falls in the end. So those who follow him fall with him. Every one who does not have in their heart to follow truth will be deceived. Those of us that have ears speak what we hear in truth. The father of lies will use all of creation and mix it up to confuse the mind. Satan is the accuser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity