Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 07:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I worship Jesus. You lie a lot. What do you think makes you do it? Could it be the same spirit that makes you feel disgusted?
Then how can a book take the place of this Jesus you say you worship? When the book has more influence than a relationship, that becomes idolatry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:42 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
There's a lot of paranoia about evangelical members, and I just don't get it. There's a bit of a difference between many evangelical churches... some pretty significant differences, in fact. They don't all think with one mind like a zombie horde. They're a handy target group these days, I think. An all-purpose minority group that's being set up as a type of bogeyman.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then how can a book take the place of this Jesus you say you worship? When the book has more influence than a relationship, that becomes idolatry.
I'm not a fundamentalist myself and have never belonged to an evangelical church. But come on... why shouldn't a "relationship" with a deity involve some degree of literacy and cogitation? Or do you think they should just "channel" input from the deity directly, like hardcore mystics?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:51 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm not a fundamentalist myself and have never belonged to an evangelical church. But come on... why shouldn't a "relationship" with a deity involve some degree of literacy and cogitation? Or do you think they should just "channel" input from the deity directly, like hardcore mystics?
They should not necessarily do either. The Bible is a book of reading material. That's it. The Bible is not God. And, claims of input directly from a deity might be construed as a symptom of schizophrenia. Not good.

Our brain is the temple of knowledge. We should be able to determine for ourselves how to decipher what we take in and how we distribute that knowledge to others. Fundamentalist Christians don't appear to be capable of doing this awfully well much of the time.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
TRANSLATION--

When a book (any book) is anointed as INFALLIBLE and without ERROR, it is now EQUAL or GREATER than the Deity.

Only God is infallible.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
I worship Jesus. You lie a lot. What do you think makes you do it? Could it be the same spirit that makes you feel disgusted?
Finn, you lie to yourself. You cannot answer any question in a straightforward manner and you accuse me of lying.

Why is it that so many who have escaped fundamentalism frequently call it cultish? Yet no liberal Christian has that view of their own faith?

You need that peace, love, kindness, joy, and gentleness in your own life. You wouldn't find it necessary to demean others to feel good about yourself.

Incidentally, you're off the hook for anything you wish to call me. As a Christ follower I have no desire to receive respect nor a need to protect my own. However, I stand firmly beside people your religion treats as less than equals---atheists, agnostics, homosexuals, even Muslims for God's sake. It is not God's commission to tell people they are sinners---it is to tell them Good News that Christ love's them exactly as they are---and if they accept Him, God will speak to their hearts about what following Him means.

I stay out of the judgment business except when it involves Pharisees of today who still promote the LAW. Then I follow Jesus' illustration of how to rebuke them.

You can escape. It is a lonely road, and you will be abandoned by many who may be your "friends" right now. You would definetly learn you are a rejected evangelical. It's a journey no one can make for you, and it will sometimes hurt. But then one must be crucified with Christ in order to find the glorious resurrection on the other side.

Wishing you the best on your decision--and offering my prayer that spiritual truth is more important than community in a cult.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
There's a lot of paranoia about evangelical members, and I just don't get it. There's a bit of a difference between many evangelical churches... some pretty significant differences, in fact. They don't all think with one mind like a zombie horde. They're a handy target group these days, I think. An all-purpose minority group that's being set up as a type of bogeyman.
There are a few tangible differences (like the KJV bible only crowd) but the biggest difference is in the degree to which they show their hate for outsiders. The Westboro Baptist Church and their "God hates f**gs" message is at the far right end.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
it seems the labeling is being used to justify the attacks against them. As long as you label someone as an evangelical, you can trash-can the "love your neighbor" approach, and apply "attack your neighbor". After all, Jesus attacked the pharisees too. I think this approach was taken out of the inquisition play-book where the church used the labeling as a justification to go after people.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Finn, you lie to yourself. You cannot answer any question in a straightforward manner and you accuse me of lying.
Well, you lied when you aid I worship a book rather than Jesus, and I pointed out the lie. Why shouldn't I?

Old 04-09-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Well, you lied when you aid I worship a book rather than Jesus, and I pointed out the lie. Why shouldn't I?
Quote:
Why is it that so many who have escaped fundamentalism frequently call it cultish? Yet no liberal Christian has that view of their own faith?
Evangelicals also do not view their faith in Christ like that. They also do not spend their days condemning millions of people like you do. Lets face it, condemning ALL evangelicals in general is not very smart. It only shows that you have an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity