Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I believe the ancient people were quite intelligent. They built great cities and structures.
Yes, and they did it without our technology. Trout Dude thinks he is smart because someone else invented our technology, but it really doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, and they did it without our technology. Trout Dude thinks he is smart because someone else invented our technology, but it really doesn't work that way.
Finny, Finn, Finn.

You need to work on your technique.

Even a stupid, young trout wouldn't rise to such clumsily-presented bait.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And yet all they succeeded in was destroying themselves in the name of their gods.

So did the Nazis, but they were quite impressive in their inventions of warfare. Your statement doesn't nullify my point one iota.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
So did the Nazis, but they were quite impressive in their inventions of warfare. Your statement doesn't nullify my point one iota.
The Nazis believed in the same kind of god that you do.
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)
Simply put, the Jews to the Nazis are the homosexuals to you. Both of you willing to do whatever is necessary to keep them "out of the picture."

Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)
Simply put, the Jews to the Nazis are the homosexuals to you. Both of you willing to do whatever is necessary to keep them "out of the picture."

No, actually I'd have to say the flesh serves the same god as Hitler, who....

1) was a Christian in name only
2) clearly did not have the Spirit of G-d interpreting the scriptures for him, picking which ones he would delegate as having authority over his own soul, and ...
3) then taking that hatred of G-d's complete and unquestionable authority and masking it as concern for his fellow man, then ...
4) proceeding to do literally what he had already done spiritually, ie. destroy everything that was not like the god of his own making, wanting to create man in HIS OWN IMAGE, because the carnal mind, it is a jealous god and it never tires of sitting in the temple declaring itself god, and demanding worship of IT and it's death producing doctrines. Peace

Old 08-17-2016, 12:26 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

That's a pretty weak and completely false attempt to link my beliefs to Hitler. The God I believe in is a God of patience, mercy and love. Hitler had none of these traits. Now God does not love sin. Likewise, I do not love the sin of homosexuality. Apparently you do. But I harbor no hate for homosexuals. None at all. My position all along is that they should have the right to live that lifestyle if it makes them happy. I only protest when they start interfering with our freedom of religion.

OTOH, the Nazis were unbelievably cruel. I just saw a film called Anthropoid and found myself literally weeping in the theater at the end after learning about the sacrifices and pain that the Czech people had to endure under Hitler's rule. The Nazis ruled by fear. And fear is of the devil.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:29 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And yet all they succeeded in was destroying themselves in the name of their gods.
How did they succeed in destroying themselves? The Jews still exist today, and so do the Palestinians. Other formerly great cultures like Greece and Egypt have lost their former glory, but they also still exist.

And yes, the ancients have often conducted themselves viciously - but are we that much different? My people are famous for their technological, scientific and artistic genius. The Land of Ideas - as their country is sometimes called. And yet less than a century ago they have waged two of the most destructive wars in history (see Jeff's post above). Are they really so much better, evolved and advanced, compared to ancient Israelites or ancient Egyptians? I'd very much like to believe that, but I am not so sure.

I think I should start a new thread about this, not sure where to put it - here or in the History forum.

Last edited by Norne; 08-17-2016 at 02:00 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 03:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
How did they succeed in destroying themselves? The Jews still exist today, and so do the Palestinians. Other formerly great cultures like Greece and Egypt have lost their former glory, but they also still exist.

And yes, the ancients have often conducted themselves viciously - but are we that much different? My people are famous for their technological, scientific and artistic genius. The Land of Ideas - as their country is sometimes called. And yet less than a century ago they have waged two of the most destructive wars in history (see Jeff's post above). Are they really so much better, evolved and advanced, compared to ancient Israelites or ancient Egyptians? I'd very much like to believe that, but I am not so sure.

I think I should start a new thread about this, not sure where to put it - here or in the History forum.
Existence doe not equate survival of a culture.

All the "great" societies of the world have come and gone, and typically have been wiped out because of internal religious strife or because of attack from outside their society driven by religion.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:11 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty weak and completely false attempt to link my beliefs to Hitler. The God I believe in is a God of patience, mercy and love. Hitler had none of these traits. Now God does not love sin. Likewise, I do not love the sin of homosexuality. Apparently you do. But I harbor no hate for homosexuals. None at all. My position all along is that they should have the right to live that lifestyle if it makes them happy. I only protest when they start interfering with our freedom of religion.

OTOH, the Nazis were unbelievably cruel. I just saw a film called Anthropoid and found myself literally weeping in the theater at the end after learning about the sacrifices and pain that the Czech people had to endure under Hitler's rule. The Nazis ruled by fear. And fear is of the devil.
Please, explain how your beliefs and Hitlers are COMPLETELY opposite..

Old 08-17-2016, 03:13 AM

Quote:
wasn't meant to nullify, just demonstrate how religion has been so destructive in societies throughout the world.

Again, my point proven.

Your idolization of NAZI GERMANY is ludicrous as they also used Christianity to destroy innocents in the name of Hitler's christian god in a tiny box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity