Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 12:55 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times

Advertisements

Hey guys... I think it all boils down to this:

The law was put into place to help us see our NEED to LEARN about LOVE.
The more you love, TRULY UNSELFISHLY LOVE, the less you need someone telling you what TO DO and what NOT TO DO... it will be written on your heart.

NOW... what are the TWO great commandments??

“Matthew 22:36....which is the great commandment in the law?” And he said to him, ’You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.”

So many things in this world that people fill up on instead of God. Are you loving God with all of your heart, soul and mind....?? Food is something that people turn to instead of God. This is the case for so many things. Food is just but one of them. God wants us to fill up on Him.... so that we do not "hunger". But it's not just food... people fill their "hunger" with all sorts of things.

My understanding of the point behind this thread was mostly to bring some folks down off of their pedestals. Those who condemn others and don't show love for their neighbors, but instead sit up on an ivory pedestal and beat others down. I think this is absolutely necessary. People need to have their pedestals shot out from under them from time to time. It's actually a LOVING thing to do, to help a brother or sister not continue in ways that are not befitting of someone who follows Christ. However, there also is a way of doing it that is done in love. The second commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. In showing others how to love their neighbor as theirself, we gotta do it ourselves. y'know? Ya gotta teach love by showing love.

I hope this made sense.

peace...
Remember, we're all just brothers and sisters here.
We all need to see each other through the eyes of love, always.
as much as we can... day by day.
until Christ's love finally fills our heart to overflowing maximum capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:42 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
I actually posted the scripture for those who wanted to know what the Bible says about Gluttony.....
I believe it is between the individual and God...........
I didn't post the scripture to justify if it is a sin or not. Gluttony as I have always understood it to be a form of greed and as we all know that doesn't just pertain to food....imo!

Blessings
True! I agree.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Kat the point for me is you can make the scriptures say what you want to, to justify ourselves and condemn others.
I am sure if you looked hard enough you would find a scripture to say being skinny is a sin lmao.
I think I found a few

Gen. 41:27 The seven lean, ugly cows that came up afterward are seven years, and so are the sevenworthless heads of grain scorched by the east wind: They are seven years of famine.

They are lean and ugly! raq or "thin/gaunt" is ugly for a cow!

Psalm 109:24-25 My knees give way from fasting; my body is thin and gaunt. I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they shake their heads.

So I think I can tie it all together

Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I think I found a few

Gen. 41:27 The seven lean, ugly cows that came up afterward are seven years, and so are the sevenworthless heads of grain scorched by the east wind: They are seven years of famine.

They are lean and ugly! raq or "thin/gaunt" is ugly for a cow!

Psalm 109:24-25 My knees give way from fasting; my body is thin and gaunt. I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they shake their heads.

So I think I can tie it all together
LOL

Right is it scriptual to be bald ?

No offence to anybody who is bald , i just want to hightlight the absurdity of judging anyone unless you are perfect yourself .

Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
I am still waiting for my Twinkie.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
LOL

Right is it scriptual to be bald ?

No offence to anybody who is bald , i just want to hightlight the absurdity of judging anyone unless you are perfect yourself .
Actually I think I can make a case that baldness is a good thing,

Sampsons hair was an object connected with his own strength.. when it was cut off he had to rely on God's strength.. this is a good thing.

also, Numbers 6:18-19
"'After the Nazirite has shaved off the hair of his dedication, the priest is to place in his hands a boiled shoulder of the ram, and a cake and a wafer from the basket, both made without yeast. The priest shall then wave them before the LORD as a wave offering; they are holy and belong to the priest, together with the breast that was waved and the thigh that was presented. After that, the Nazirite may drink wine.

You can drink wine if you are bald.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
NO Sundance, NO! Twinkie's are evil! I proved that they are the adversary spoken of in
Luke 4:2-3 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread."

The devil thought it was a stone, but it was a Twinkie. EVIL! Thou cannot change the Twinkie to bread! That is absurd!

and indirectly, 1 Peter 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Twinkies can devour you until all you want is Twinkies. That is the whole gospel of Twinkies!!

Be warned!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
NO Sundance, NO! Twinkie's are evil! I proved that they are the adversary spoken of in
Luke 4:2-3 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread."

The devil thought it was a stone, but it was a Twinkie. EVIL! Thou cannot change the Twinkie to bread! That is absurd!

and indirectly, 1 Peter 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Twinkies can devour you until all you want is Twinkies. That is the whole gospel of Twinkies!!

Be warned!
I think you have all the Twinkies, and you're hoarding them!
I want my fair share.......give up the Twinkies and you won't be harmed.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:12 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
From June, the ever helpful:

http://svpow.files.wordpress.com/200...070918_ms1.jpg

You poor sinner...

Old 10-18-2009, 04:15 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
So many things in this world that people fill up on instead of God. Are you loving God with all of your heart, soul and mind....?? Food is something that people turn to instead of God. This is the case for so many things. Food is just but one of them. God wants us to fill up on Him.... so that we do not "hunger". But it's not just food... people fill their "hunger" with all sorts of things.
Exactly. And whatever it is, it not only doesn't fill you up, it leaves you more empty than you were to begin with and feeling more and more separated from the One who can fill you up. That's why condemning people for what they're doing is unnecessary since the act itself is condemning enough by the consequences it brings about.

Quote:
My understanding of the point behind this thread was mostly to bring some folks down off of their pedestals. Those who condemn others and don't show love for their neighbors, but instead sit up on an ivory pedestal and beat others down. I think this is absolutely necessary. People need to have their pedestals shot out from under them from time to time. It's actually a LOVING thing to do, to help a brother or sister not continue in ways that are not befitting of someone who follows Christ. However, there also is a way of doing it that is done in love. The second commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. In showing others how to love their neighbor as theirself, we gotta do it ourselves. y'know? Ya gotta teach love by showing love.

I hope this made sense.
Made perfect sense to me.

Quote:
peace...
Remember, we're all just brothers and sisters here.
We all need to see each other through the eyes of love, always.
as much as we can... day by day.
until Christ's love finally fills our heart to overflowing maximum capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity