Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
And we are especially saved because we will inherit the kingdom, and rule with Christ ... Everyone is saved, but not everyone will inherit the kingdom and rule with Christ. If those who believe will rule with Christ, who will we be ruling over?
Exactly. Not everyone inherits the reign, only the especially saved. But all are still saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Malista does not mean "but is effective", just keep adding to scripture, it will get you nowhere.

Answer my question ... The same word especially used 2 Tim 4:10 is the word used in Gal 6:10 ...

As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good to all men, but is only effective to them who are of the household of faith.

Nope doesn't make any sense ... That would mean we should only effective be Good to those of the house hold of faith and not anyone else ... Yours translation and interpretation is eisigesis, and anyone with a lick of sense who is not completely brainwashed could tell by your argument concerning the language of this verse.
I thing I have a lick of sense () and I am definitely starting to see the foolishness and double talk of tradition more clearly these days.

I have also started reading "The Restitution of All Things," by Andrew Jukes, from 1867, I believe. Very good book! Not sure what other books might be of some help, but I'm looking.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
LOL...NO!

Cuz God is the saviour of all of them, but is effective for those that believe!
You must believe for it to be of any effect! The whole purpose of the gospel! That's why there are two sets of people in verse 10!

Exactly why Paul said:

For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach

Good grief! I have seen some eisegesis from this crowd, but you folks are really pulling out some doozies!
If God does not save all men, then God is not the savior of all men, so it would be silly for Paul to say that God is the savior of all men.

Belief? Yes, all will believe when they are bowing to Him.

You realize it is God who grants belief, right? Oh but you probably think God doesn't love all people, therefore I guess God won't grant some people belief... even though He will force everyone to bow before Him, they still won't believe... Even though they will all sing praises in His name, they still won't believe...

Old 05-12-2010, 08:28 PM

The article in the OP makes the point that God doesn't love everyone because of Rom 9:13 "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."

This has been addressed many times in the past. Does God actually hate like a man hates? God hates all workers of iniquity (Psalm 5:5). Yet we are all workers of iniquity... does that mean God hates us all?

In Luke 14:26 we learn that we should hate our parents to be a disciple of Jesus... notwithstanding the commandment to "honor our parents"...

Clearly the word "hate" here has another meaning - something like "love less than".

God does indeed love the world and all people in it because He sent His son to be the sacrifice for the sins. He died for the ungodly while they were still sinners. Who is the ungodly? ALL OF US.

Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all;
he has compassion on all he has made.

17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways
and loving toward all he has made.

The word "hate" here has an exaggerated meaning to show contrast, and not a literal human hatred as we understand it. Its hyperbole. This article goes through the idea more in-depth:

Merciful Truth - Does God Hate

Suffice it to say, God does love all, that is why He will not leave a single soul to suffer forever. The Calvinists are not correct when they say God doesn't love everyone.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM

309 posts, read 363,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The article in the OP makes the point that God doesn't love everyone because of Rom 9:13 "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."

This has been addressed many times in the past. Does God actually hate like a man hates? God hates all workers of iniquity (Psalm 5:5). Yet we are all workers of iniquity... does that mean God hates us all?

In Luke 14:26 we learn that we should hate our parents to be a disciple of Jesus... notwithstanding the commandment to "honor our parents"...

Clearly the word "hate" here has another meaning - something like "love less than".

God does indeed love the world and all people in it because He sent His son to be the sacrifice for the sins. He died for the ungodly while they were still sinners. Who is the ungodly? ALL OF US.

Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all;
he has compassion on all he has made.
17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways
and loving toward all he has made.

The word "hate" here has an exaggerated meaning to show contrast, and not a literal human hatred as we understand it. Its hyperbole. This article goes through the idea more in-depth:

Merciful Truth - Does God Hate

Suffice it to say, God does love all, that is why He will not leave a single soul to suffer forever. The Calvinists are not correct when they say God doesn't love everyone.
Great point

Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Great post but I had to just focus on this last part...
because it stopped me.
and made me ponder that.

what a BEAUTIFUL, and GLORIOUS thought.

thank you,
sparrow
Some of these verses are making a rather large impact on my mind lately! I don't know what's gotten into me.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
The Universalist loves to use verses that appear to prove his point.

Here’s an example:

1 John 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Jesus was, indeed, the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29), but that does not mean everyone receives Him or believes in Him. Hebrews states it most clearly:

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

What is that reward?
It is God Himself and eternal life in Him.
It is Salvation.

Yes!
God sent Christ to "save" the entire world, but that salvation is ONLY capable of having any effect on God's views towards the individual, as either covered with the blood of the Lamb, or covered with death and sin. Mankind is saved, but ONLY in Jesus Christ. Only in Jesus Christ, means believing in Him John 3:16, and that is the sole purpose of the strenuous and ardent efforts of the early church, but has been throughout the last 2 millennia, and will continue to be so, as God carefully chooses each individual to be a part of His new Creation, in eternal life with Him and Jesus Christ.

Universalism is another Gnostic lie.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:31 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
1 Tim.4:10 "God is the saviour of all mankind, especially them that believe."

2Ti 4:13 When you come, bring the traveling cloak which I left in Troas with Carpus, and the scrolls, especially the vellums."

Paul will get the cloak, the scrolls and especially the vellums.
God will get all mankind, especially them that believe.
Quote:
ROTFL....this is a perfect example of eisegesis.
That's O.K. sciota, I love you anyway.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
The Universalist loves to use verses that appear to prove his point.
Well, what would you expect? Would you expect we'd use verses which don't appear to prove our point?
Quote:
Here’s an example:

1 John 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Jesus was, indeed, the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29), but that does not mean everyone receives Him or believes in Him.
But it does prove that by Christ propitiating our sins and the whole world's sins that our sins and the world's sins were covered whether we believe it or not.
Quote:
Hebrews states it most clearly:

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

What is that reward?
It is God Himself and eternal life in Him.
It is Salvation.
And how do they diligently seek Him if He does not draw them to seek Him? He is the Drawer, they the drawn. Jesus said: "And I, if I be exalted up out of the earth will draw all unto Me." He was exalted out of the earth by means of the cross, therefore . . . ?
Oh, and remember sciota, "ALL AVOID HIM" AND NOT ONE IS SEEKING OUT GOD"
Rom 3:11-12 Not one is understanding. Not one is seeking out God. (12) All avoid Him: at the same time they were useless. Not one is doing kindness: there is not even one!"
So how do they diligently see Him if they avoid Him? How do they dilligently seek Him is "not one is seeking out God"? How, sciota, HOW?
Quote:
Yes!
God sent Christ to "save" the entire world, but that salvation is ONLY capable of having any effect on God's views towards the individual, as either covered with the blood of the Lamb, or covered with death and sin. Mankind is saved, but ONLY in Jesus Christ. Only in Jesus Christ, means believing in Him John 3:16, and that is the sole purpose of the strenuous and ardent efforts of the early church, but has been throughout the last 2 millennia, and will continue to be so, as God carefully chooses each individual to be a part of His new Creation, in eternal life with Him and Jesus Christ.
sciota I don't know if you realize your contradictory ideas. First you say the person is rewarded with eternal life for diligently seeking God (an excellent example of eisegesis on your part) and then you say "God carefully chooses each individual to be a part of His new Creation."
Quote:
Universalism is another Gnostic lie.
Actually, Universalism is taught by the writers of the New Testament. I hardly doubt they were Gnostics and liars.
The point is, and which eludes you sciota and Finn and Twin.spin is that God is not having all mankind enter into salvation all at the same time. You are correct that "God is carefully choosing each individual to be a part of His new creation." God does not choose all mankind to be a part of that. That is for the next to ages/eons. And on top of that, God will have all mankind to be saved because Christ ransomed all mankind (see 1 Tim.2:4-6). One who is ransomed must be freed. They will be freed eventually. God is not a liar and "our unbelief will not nullify the promises of God"

Rom 3:3-4 For what if some disbelieve? Will not their unbelief nullify the faithfulness of God? (4) May it not be coming to that! Now let God be true, yet every man a liar, even as it is written: "That so Thou shouldst be justified in Thy sayings, And shalt be conquering when Thou art being judged."

Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Lots of bickering but no exegesis from UR. An emotionally driven group indeed.
Over the months the URs have managed to prove is that UR is false religion. Before I didn't know much about it, but at this point there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that it is a satanic attempt to convince people that they don't need Christ, that Christ's job is already done, and there is nothing else people need to do. You are wasting your time, because they will never tire of repeating their cherry picked verses which they think support their view (but don't), and they will never tire of disregarding the message of Jesus Christ in the Bible. When they are proven wrong, they just go back to repeting the same old lines like nothing had happened.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity