Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I now see you offer unsubstantiated claims about more than just Quakers. Are you aware how Indians are treated in Singapore, Pakistanis in India, all Asians in Qatar, Chinese in Japan, Turks in Germany, Muslims in France, Aboriginals in Canada andsAustralia, Jews in Russia . . . . . .

Are you also aware that none of these places had Jim Crow-esque laws on the books? Other than South Africa, there was nowhere else that had laws that made an entire race of people second-class citizens on the books in the 20th century. As terrible as the WWII chinese massacre and the current racial tension between muslims and the french are, the racism is not institutionalized. There hasn't been real institutionalized racism in the vast majority of Europe since the 19th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually unfortunately that is not a true stratement there were racial incidents across all major NE cities during this period. Not something to be proud of but it definately existed as it is did in many parts of the country.

My own personal perspective would be that today Boston may have less racial tension than any among these three, probably Phildelphia still having the most sadly to say.
Racism is as Philadelphian as soft pretzels for hunger pains, water ice for heat stoke, liquor for hypothermia, coffee and cigarettes for breakfast, and chessesteaks and yeungling on pay day.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Racism is as Philadelphian as soft pretzels for hunger pains, water ice for heat stoke, coffee for hypothermia, and chessesteaks and yeungling on pay day.
lol... if I wasn't feeling lazy I'd write a San Francisco version of that.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 PM

26 posts, read 41,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Are you also aware that none of these places had Jim Crow-esque laws on the books? Other than South Africa, there was nowhere else that had laws that made an entire race of people second-class citizens on the books in the 20th century. As terrible as the WWII chinese massacre and the current racial tension between muslims and the french are, the racism is not institutionalized. There hasn't been real institutionalized racism in the vast majority of Europe since the 19th century.
You are just sad, this bumpkin trying to talk about World Issues...now Ive heard it all, Segregation laws are the only way a nation is racist.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
You are just sad, this bumpkin trying to talk about World Issues...now Ive heard it all, Segregation laws are the only way a nation is racist.

Did I say that that's the only way a nation is racist? I said that America is one of two places that heavily used institutionalized racism in the 1900's. Keep sidestepping the issue though.

In Latin America for example there's a very concrete racial pecking order left over from the Spanish. However, at this point Latin Americans are also a far more racially mixed people than North Americans so the distinction between afro-carribeans and mestizos has become increasingly insignificant with the exceptions of places like Nicaragua where the blacks are still largely segregated from the rest of the population. These places function far more uni-culturally than America despite such an ingrained pecking order. The difference? The "pure" Spanish descendants still rule the upper caste of these countries because the Spanish conquered them but they've also become culturally more connected to latin american culture than to Spanish culture. In America, the English completely vaporized the native population and subjugated/segregated the blacks to make sure there was little to no cultural integration. A lot of White Americans still don't know anything about black culture beyond what they see on TV.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
I like how you bring up a bunch of examples - Japanese Internment, the Vietnam War, same sex marriage - which have absolutely nothing to do with anti-black racism.
Ah, racism is about blacks - not Japanese. OK. Dude (I'm assuming you're a dude), if a group fights for equality other oppresed groups (including gays 25 years ago!), it just doesn't make sense that they would collectively chose to be raicst against blacks. By the way, I note you ignore my statements on civil rights work in the 60s. Here's a link to give you some more insight into the work of Quakers with the black community: http://www2.gol.com/users/quakers/AFSC_Civil_Rights.htm

Quote:
And at the SF comment. SF and the Bay Area do not = all of California, especially not on the subject of gay marriage.
It's called irony. Seems even more fair to call a state whose majority of folks voted down gay marriage homophobic than to call a Nobel Prize winning group racist because of a few bad folks who chose to call themselves Quaker.

Quote:
Did I pull Barr out of my butt or does she actually exist?
No, just your extrapolation.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
Agree - I'm outta here.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Everbody's racist, it's just a matter of degrees. When you see two boxers you don't know, goin at it, ones black, ones white. Who do you root for deep down inside?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
There is really no way one to argue with you personally (you accept no other rationale) that Boston is not most important in this regard nor would it be to diminish the influence of Philadelphia in this this regard. The seminal events took place in Phildelphia even if many qualifiers where being performed in Boston. I agree Boston is not a hell hole by any means but there is no substantiation to say Boston was more important or maybe better said singularly important with regard to Philly in this historical regard. That would be the same logic as Philly saying it is responsible everything related to computers as the first was developed, built and operated in Phildelphia. It played a role but there were more important aspects that were related to it.

Or hell we invented electricity so everything that runs on a plug comes from here too.
'Yeah, well God Himself chose Boston as a model society, so there' .

What would you have me say, other than if you look at the post where I wrote Philadelphians come on the forum and to sum up what they post, as a giant "NAH-UH, because I said so." This would specifically be your attitude. "We invented electricity..." That's you're statement! I'm pretty sure electricity is a natural occurence derived from an inbalance of neutrons and protons, or something silly like that which is then harnassed through a conductive material, be it copper, water, or one's ego.

Might as well write, I invented air! Why not?

In your intial post you call Boston, a "backwater, Puritanical hell-hole." And now it's not, according to you...well which is it?

You are an American and not a subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II not simply because some guys in wigs said, "hey we're independent now deal with it George" but more so because some New Englanders set out with the idea of self-government, capitalism, and a little in your face ingenuity. Wealth, power and prestige helped too.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
'Yeah, well God Himself chose Boston as a model society, so there' .

What would you have me say, other than if you look at the post where I wrote Philadelphians come on the forum and to sum up what they post, as a giant "NAH-UH, because I said so." This would specifically be your attitude. "We invented electricity..." That's you're statement! I'm pretty sure electricity is a natural occurence derived from an inbalance of neutrons and protons, or something silly like that which is then harnassed through a conductive material, be it copper, water, or one's ego.

Might as well write, I invented air! Why not?

In your intial post you call Boston, a "backwater, Puritanical hell-hole." And now it's not, according to you...well which is it?

You are an American and not a subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II not simply because some guys in wigs said, "hey we're independent now deal with it George" but more so because some New Englanders set out with the idea of self-government, capitalism, and a little in your face ingenuity. Wealth, power and prestige helped too.
I said that.

We didn't invent electricity, but were the first to harness it.The most influential manipulation of nature since man learned to create and harness fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City