Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Midwest's second city/metropolis?
Greater Detroit 65 41.67%
Greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul 91 58.33%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:26 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Wrong thread for you if you don't care.
As I recall, the thread is a comparison between the "second place" metro in the Midwest, not cities with the highest average income enclaves.

I get that you care a lot about the wealthiest suburbs--I really do. But, again, to the other 95% of the population that lives in more "down-to-earth" places, this means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things. In other words, no one is denying that places like Winnetka, Grosse Point and Edina are wonderful places to live, but due to their lack of attainability to the vast majority of the population, they're far from representative of normal living circumstances.

And so, making judgements about an entire metro area based on the presence of handful of wealthy, highly-regarded suburbs suggests an appallingly narrow worldview. In my view, and the views of many others, the most appealing and vibrant suburbs are those with a mix of backgrounds and are inclusive of those of different income levels.

Quality-of-life is so, so much more than the number on your neighbor's paycheck.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
As I recall, the thread is a comparison between the "second place" metro in the Midwest, not cities with the highest average income enclaves.
You recall correctly, this thread is about the second city of the Midwest, you however fail to read the OP (I am the OP by the way) and I did say we can discuss anything and everything -- which is typical for a standard Red John thread as it is, even have a paragraph about suburbs in the OP. So I don't see any harm.

This is the last time I will ever respond to you. Have a great life. I don't appreciate the lying and making things up such as what you did when you said "I get that you care a lot about the wealthiest suburbs--I really do." I show everyone apathy, as in I don't care about them or their lives to make random insinuations about what others care for or not -- I expect the same back -- and not dishonesty. Good bye.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-05-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 06:07 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
This is the last time I will ever respond to you. Have a great life. I don't appreciate the lying and making things up such as what you did when you said "I get that you care a lot about the wealthiest suburbs--I really do." I have no respect for you going forward, I have never quoted you and acted like I know anything about your life or even care for it, I expect the same apathy back. This is the first thread in all of 2015 where I have talked about suburbs by the way. I literally have rarely ever talked about suburbs to begin with in my 2+ years on the forum.
I can't force you to respond, but I honestly did not mean to manipulate or "lie" about anything you've said. It was just what I've surmised from this thread and was not in any way meant to be some sort of deep, reflective statement. So I officially apologize for any offense.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You are making a broad generalization about suburbs. There are all kinds of suburbs, and many have historic downtowns or squares with all the amenities because they grew from independent towns into a suburb of a larger nearby city. But they definitely aren't all the same.
Uh, what are you talking about? Please read posts and the several before them before you reply — you'll see that that was not even remotely what I was arguing at all.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:56 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Uh, what are you talking about? Please read posts and the several before them before you reply — you'll see that that was not even remotely what I was arguing at all.
That's what it appeared to be...and I don't always read an entire thread before I comment. Sorry.

I think it's pretty clear what I was talking about.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
That's what it appeared to be...and I don't always read an entire thread before I comment. Sorry.

I think it's pretty clear what I was talking about.
Red John posted a list of high income suburbs, arguing these are "high quality places" because they're high income. I thus pointed out that some of them have 400 people and are nothing more than a quarter-square-mile McMansion neighborhood with zero amenities.

I made no insinuation that "all suburbs are the same"...

Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Red John posted a list of high income suburbs, arguing these are "high quality places" because they're high income. I thus pointed out that some of them have 400 people and are nothing more than a quarter-square-mile McMansion neighborhood with zero amenities.

I made no insinuation that "all suburbs are the same"...
I already apologized...what else do you want?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I already apologized...what else do you want?
No need to apologize; I didn't need to be so curt with you. I get a little carried away when I sense that people are inferring things that aren't true.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:37 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Detroit was the #4 metro area in terms of population for decades. That slowly started shifting after the 1980 census, and then rapidly after the 1990 census. The 2000's were SE Michigan's worst decade economically in its history and if not for the auto bailout the Detroit area would be shrinking at catastrophic rates.
Actually, Detroit was 5th for decades, not 4th. Detroit has never been bigger than Philly, which held the 4th spot from the time LA surpassed it in 1940, until San Fran passed it in 1990

Old 05-08-2015, 03:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
The reason it was offensive was because it creates a stigma of a person that others on this forum are sure to go on repeating as if they know said person. That stigma I am talking about is the "wealth obsessed" sort of thing, you know like that one San Francisco Bay Area poster that only talks about money and other peoples' money, to the point of knowing where billionaires live and personal details on their lives that most would consider creepy and/or pathetic.

I am not of the same breed and that is what I had found offensive. People that act like that are appalling, the obsessed with other peoples' money ones.

My only point with the suburbs thing is that Greater Detroit is no backwater, lets keep it 100, those suburbs -- 95% of this planet would kill to have suburbs as nice as those. Hell, to re-emphasize my initial point about suburbs, all save for a select few North American cities (mentioned earlier) would kill to have suburbs like those.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-08-2015 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City