Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:00 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
-Atlanta produces the most hip-hop, and it's not even close.
-Hip-hop culture historically goes to NYC; in today's world, I'd lean towards Atlanta
-Currently Atlanta has a more significant hip-hop culture
-Atlanta has the hottest artist currently without question

If this was 1997 I'd say NYC without a doubt, but in 2017 Atlanta runs hip-hop, and has been doing so for most of the century. Pretty impressive.

This. Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 12:02 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Right lol,whoever said Toronto was super bias.

And even Chicago i mean really
Toronto has Drake, who is basically a reversal Will Smith that actually made a success in hip hop, and E

Chicago has Drill, which has gain global recognition such as in the UK and Asia (see Rich Chigga). Drill is almost like what gangster rap was in the 90s. There is also Chance the Rapper, a 3-time grammy winner and is not even signed to a major record deal. Chicago is arguably on top when it comes to indie/non mainstream rap, whereas Atlanta is currently #1 in the mainstream.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 AM

149 posts, read 113,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He's a solo "featured" artist. He jumps on somebody else's track every 4-5 years and makes it a hit.
So a solo featured artist without his own solo album is a top 10 rapper in history ?

He's great lyrically but so are a million other artist.

I stand by what i said ! Nobody in Atlanta rap history is top 10 or on the Forbes list with a net worth of 100 - 200 mil.

Future and Young Thug mumble lyrics over hot beats and this is what the new generation think is hot.Men dressing like women and drinking lean + snorting coke.Gtfoh

I love T.i and Goodie mob though.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:44 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Andre 3000 is a solo rapper ? If so name his solo rap debut

This is ridiculous!
He's a rapper.

You're trying to add caveats.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
So a solo featured artist without his own solo album is a top 10 rapper in history ?

He's great lyrically but so are a million other artist.

I stand by what i said ! Nobody in Atlanta rap history is top 10 or on the Forbes list with a net worth of 100 - 200 mil.

Future and Young Thug mumble lyrics over hot beats and this is what the new generation think is hot.Men dressing like women and drinking lean + snorting coke.Gtfoh

I love T.i and Goodie mob though.
You're talking about another man's money again, but this is about hip hop. This further proves my point that NYC artist don't get the shine that they once got. You're trying to talk about any and everything except the music. Labels probably tell their artist not to say they're from NYC if they want sell albums.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 06-10-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He's a solo "featured" artist. He jumps on somebody else's track every 4-5 years and makes it a hit.
An Atlanta artist that does a feature every few years yet is one of the most famous rappers on the planet. He's your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.

That's power right there.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:22 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
Speaking of Drake, I saw Toronto was mentioned on here earlier. Was that just because of Drake or are there multiple Toronto guys out there doing it that I don't know about. Or is Drake big enough to put the whole city on by himself?

That reminds me: remember when Nelly put St. Louis on? That lasted a good, what, 3 years? LOL
Not to derail the thread, but Toronto has its own scene before Drake and currently. Some people were already named earlier in the thread. Tory Lanez and the Weeknd are more mainstream artists from the area and there are artists that are more popular in Canada like say Point Blank.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
If your age is less than 40, you may or may not know a damn thing about hip hop.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:59 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Depends what you consider "hip-hop". Most of what comes out of ATL I dont consider true hip-hop but pop or trap music.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
If your age is less than 40, you may or may not know a damn thing about hip hop.
I'm 25 and am definitely know about hip-hop. There was still good hip-hop coming out in the early 2000s. I remember watching videos of my favorite artist, Nas, along with Em, 50 Cent, Common, Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Jay, Cassidy, Lupe Fiasco, watching Tigger in the basement, recording songs on cassette tapes on Saturday mornings when they used to actually play videos, etc. Elements​ of the culture were popular up until that time but were definitely fading out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City