Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 PM

178 posts, read 146,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I never mentioned rappers. Artists like Lil Uzi, xxxtentacion, etc do not hold the same values, styles, influence, lyrical content, etc as artists like Lupe Fiasco, Joe Budden, Pac, J. Cole, etc. They are quintessential hip-hop.
Wait,You mention new artist like LilUzi etc for Atlanta Then mention artist with the exception of J.Cole,that aint had a hit in over 5-10 years.
You ignore artist like Outcast,T.I.,Ludacris,Goodie Mob,Childish Gambino etc.

I see some real clear biases going on here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Who from Chicago is on top today ?

Chance isn't better than Kendrick or Drake !
Chief Keef,Lil Durk all those other drill rappers era is over.

Now if this was 2012 than yeah Chicago would be debatable but in 2017 i think no one city is on top.

This is Drake and Kendrick time.

Atlanta had a great run but not one rapper in Atlanta has accumulated 100 mil on the forbes list.

What solo Atlanta rapper is top 10 in history ?
I'll wait
Rappers make money depending on what they do beyond just performing/If you go by record sales,Speaker Box/Love Below is the number one selling Album of all time.
Eimenem is the number one selling artist of all time.
Outcast and Ludacris are also in the top 10

IMDb: Top 10 best selling rappers of all time - a list by ruffdadon

thanks for waiting!

Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not about "what city runs the game." It's about which city is more famous for hip around the world (not in Black America). Outside of younger Black people in the U.S., how many people do you think would recognize Future in a public setting compared to Jay-Z, P. Diddy or 50 Cent? Or even T.I. for that matter?

All you need to do is Google "Most famous rappers of all time." The top results are Eminem, Jay-Z, The Notorious B.I.G., Nas, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Snoop, Ice Cube, Kendrick, Drake, Rakim, Andre 3000 and 50 Cent. Don't confuse being Black famous with being famous.
Ludacris was also in that top results

Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
Thanks.True she is but her career jumped offin Atlanta where she lived until just a couple of years ago as did her sister Tamar did.
That's true. I think that she was giving a lifetime achievement award from the city of Atlanta a year or two ago. She's one of the biggest selling artist of all time.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Ever since Chief Keef came out rap game change even more
No doubt, he has a unique sound.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 PM

If artist from other parts of the country have to adapt to the "trap" sound or use producers and collab with Atlanta artistto get a hit record or album,then thats really all their is to say.

Last edited by SenseSoCommon; 06-15-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 12:34 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Ludacris was also in that top results
Yes, after Method Man, DMX, Big Daddy Kane, Mos Def, Jadakiss, Big Pun, Slick Rick, P. Diddy, Busta Rhymes, Ghostface, Run DMC, LL Cool J, etc. There's a whole heap of NYC names I did not include.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM

And finally...Dj Snake from France and Lil John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUDVMiITOU

Old 06-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, after Method Man, DMX, Big Daddy Kane, Mos Def, Jadakiss, Big Pun, Slick Rick, P. Diddy, Busta Rhymes, Ghostface, Run DMC, LL Cool J, etc. There's a whole heap of NYC names I did not include.
Never denied that there were many more in NYC but did you not say top selling artist?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Never denied that there were many more in NYC but did you not say top selling artist?
I did not. LOL.

Quote:
All you need to do is Google "Most famous rappers of all time." The top results are Eminem, Jay-Z, The Notorious B.I.G., Nas, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Snoop, Ice Cube, Kendrick, Drake, Rakim, Andre 3000 and 50 Cent. Don't confuse being Black famous with being famous.
Where do you see the word "selling" in the post you quoted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City