Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That is not what I was trying to convey.I know Atlanta does not have an overwhelmingly more influence on Texas like it does say in N.C.or S.C. or even Tenn.
But during the OLYMPICS the South was grouped together and brodcast to the world.And many outside of the U.S. still use the Olympics in Atlanta as a point of
reference as to WHERE and ABOUT HOW the South is.They often get confused about Southwest and South.To us nationally,we realize that there is a major difference.Yet when one thinks of out West,they think of California,more so than Texas.They may think Southwest(rarely) but they will also think of South more often.Which here we are again!Texas is BOTH.So because it is BOTH it CAN NEVER BE THOUGHT OF AS THE CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH!Now I'm not saying that New Oreans or Nashville cannot ake claims too.They have strong support to suggest that either is acceptable.
Does that make better sense or at least show my reasoning?
I think from an international standpoint. I'm not sure if foreigners really relate Texas to any region. However, I could be wrong.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Yep. At my university, there were a couple of people who want to move to Atlanta, based mostly on hype (from what they were saying).
Yeah; This is pretty much what I was getting at. From the people I know who have visited ATL; the opinions are mixed about the city. My friend who is attending Clark LOVES it. She had me wanting to come check it out lol

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah; This is pretty much what I was getting at. From the people I know who have visited ATL; the opinions are mixed about the city. My friend who is attending Clark LOVES it. She had me wanting to come check it out lol
Well I live about 4 streets over from the campus(CAU/AUC).My dad was a Dean there for 7 years.Two doors down from me the "Kappa's" rent one of the houses.They have crazy parties where the police usually have to come and disperse the 200 people on a "city street" at 3am!I'm sure your friend knows exactly what I'm talking about.LOL!

I have this to say about "mixed feelings".Most Southern cities have that in common from people from other regions to locate in the South.It's usually so different from many places it takes some time to figure it out.I was not sure I wanted to be in Atlanta after I got out of the Air Force.I tried living other places because I felt I needed a more "cosmopolitan" experience that was more "urban" as well..Sometimes(although not nearly as frequently as it once was)I wander if I still should move to D.C. or Philly.I have done it already before.Philly is like a second home.But each time I go back to visit family and friends I say HELL NO!!LOL!! I still love it!Yet when I get back and feel the nature of the South,I feel more like an indivdual,not part of the "machine".Not like a "mouse running in the wheel".The only other place in America I feel some kind of connection to is New Mexico.For some reason it just felt like I belonged there.It was a spiritual thing.It was just too small for me to stay though.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
It's a generational thing. I'm 26, you're 19 or 20. When I was in high school. There were only two cities that people wanted to go to and that was New Orleans or Los Angeles when it came to movies. This was in the mid 90s to very early 00s. But Los Angeles was the hot spot in the 90s for Black Texans. Atlanta wasn't really though about. But for the most part, Texans would rather stay in Texas.

Quote:
But during the OLYMPICS the South was grouped together and brodcast to the world.And many outside of the U.S. still use the Olympics in Atlanta as a point of
reference as to WHERE and ABOUT HOW the South is.They often get confused about Southwest and South.To us nationally,we realize that there is a major difference.Yet when one thinks of out West,they think of California,more so than Texas.They may think Southwest(rarely) but they will also think of South more often.Which here we are again!Texas is BOTH.So because it is BOTH it CAN NEVER BE THOUGHT OF AS THE CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH!Now I'm not saying that New Oreans or Nashville cannot ake claims too.They have strong support to suggest that either is acceptable.
Does that make better sense or at least show my reasoning?
No not really because internationally, they don't know what Southern US means nor do they know what states make up for it. The olympics in Los Angeles didn't represent the West. It repped California and most importantly, LA.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's a generational thing. I'm 26, you're 19 or 20. When I was in high school. There were only two cities that people wanted to go to and that was New Orleans or Los Angeles when it came to movies. This was in the mid 90s to very early 00s. But Los Angeles was the hot spot in the 90s for Black Texans. Atlanta wasn't really though about. But for the most part, Texans would rather stay in Texas.

No not really because internationally, they don't know what Southern US means nor do they know what states make up for it. The olympics in Los Angeles didn't represent the West. It repped California and most importantly, LA.
Yes they do.I know I sound like I'm boosting Atlanta.Which truthfully I am,but I am reasonable.It has been in MY experience that I can tell you many times about(back then and today) people knew/know of Atlanta for 5 if not one of 5 things:CNN,Coca Cola,Gone With the Wind,Martin Luther King Jr,or Jimmy Carter.Now I'm not saying they know details,but when they know of the South usually its either New Orleans or Atlanta.
LA and the West is different.The South is often thought of as some "monolithic" type entity.To this day even in the U.S.,it is group together as if it is all the same.People only after deliberating deeper only think of other divisions like the "Deep South",Southwest,Southeast,etc... When ever I read in the international press about Atlanta it has some reference to it being the capita of the South or most associated with the South in some way.My international friends before they came did not know a whole lot about the South(the younger ones).But they new about the Olympics and CNN.They all come here and the big letters of CNN in front of the headquarters downtown,is a major photo destination or "op".

This is what Lonely Planet and other international publication have said in the first sentence:"With five million residents and counting, the so-called ‘capital of the South’ continues to experience explosive growth thanks to southbound Yankees and international immigrants alike. It’s also booming as a tourist destination thanks to two glitzy 21st-century attractions"

So what kind of legacy was delivered in Atlanta, the "capital" of the southern states of America?
BBC - London - 2012 Olympic Games - Atlanta’s Olympic Legacy
Atlanta, after all, is best known as the economic powerhouse of the American South - the home of powerful multinationals like Coca-Cola and the parcel service, UPS
BBC NEWS | Americas | Atlanta Vice: A new US drugs hub?(yes I know,not the most flattering article,but gives you an idea how important Atlanta is for drug dealing too.LOL)

Last edited by afonega1; 10-22-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

CA is easily more influential in Texas than ATL, but the influence from ATL is here. The hype and the publicity has sparked lots of Texan's interest.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
CA is easily more influential in Texas than ATL, but the influence from ATL is here. The hype and the publicity has sparked lots of Texan's interest.
I just came across this report, and it's pretty interesting. This is from the Brookings Institute, and shows the top air markets from each metro area. This is a very good indicator of how connected cities are to each other.

These are the top air travel markets from Atlanta, Dallas & Houston and the results are from this year - so new data!

Atlanta
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
New York/Newark
Orlando
D.C./Baltimore
Los Angeles
Chicago
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Tampa
Philadelphia
Las Vegas

Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
San Antonio
Atlanta
Austin
New York/Newark
Chicago
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Denver
D.C./Baltimore

Houston
Dallas/Ft. Worth
New York/Newark
Los Angeles
New Orleans
Atlanta
Chicago
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Denver
Phoenix
Las Vegas

This proves how "intertwined" the three are, and where the majority of business is conducted from each.

Just for fun, these are the top 10 air markets for the entire Country:

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale - New York/Newark
Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana - San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Atlanta - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Chicago - New York/Newark
Atlanta - New York/Newark
Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana - New York/Newark
New York/Newark - Orlando
New York/Newark - London
Las Vegas - Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana
Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana - Phoenix

Source: Expect Delays: An Analysis of Air Travel Trends in the United States - Brookings Institution

Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I just came across this report, and it's pretty interesting. This is from the Brookings Institute, and shows the top air markets from each metro area. This is a very good indicator of how connected cities are to each other.

These are the top air travel markets from Atlanta, Dallas & Houston and the results are from this year - so new data!

Atlanta
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
New York/Newark
Orlando
D.C./Baltimore
Los Angeles
Chicago
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Tampa
Philadelphia
Las Vegas

Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
San Antonio
Atlanta
Austin
New York/Newark
Chicago
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Denver
D.C./Baltimore

Houston
Dallas/Ft. Worth
New York/Newark
Los Angeles
New Orleans
Atlanta
Chicago
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Denver
Phoenix
Las Vegas

This proves how "intertwined" the three are, and where the majority of business is conducted from each.

Just for fun, these are the top 10 air markets for the entire Country:

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale - New York/Newark
Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana - San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Atlanta - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Chicago - New York/Newark
Atlanta - New York/Newark
Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana - New York/Newark
New York/Newark - Orlando
New York/Newark - London
Las Vegas - Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana
Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana - Phoenix

Source: Expect Delays: An Analysis of Air Travel Trends in the United States - Brookings Institution
Wow, that's some really good data! You get an A on your homework assignment.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Yes they do.I know I sound like I'm boosting Atlanta.Which truthfully I am,but I am reasonable.It has been in MY experience that I can tell you many times about(back then and today) people knew/know of Atlanta for 5 if not one of 5 things:CNN,Coca Cola,Gone With the Wind,Martin Luther King Jr,or Jimmy Carter.Now I'm not saying they know details,but when they know of the South usually its either New Orleans or Atlanta.
LA and the West is different.The South is often thought of as some "monolithic" type entity.To this day even in the U.S.,it is group together as if it is all the same.People only after deliberating deeper only think of other divisions like the "Deep South",Southwest,Southeast,etc... When ever I read in the international press about Atlanta it has some reference to it being the capita of the South or most associated with the South in some way.My international friends before they came did not know a whole lot about the South(the younger ones).But they new about the Olympics and CNN.They all come here and the big letters of CNN in front of the headquarters downtown,is a major photo destination or "op".

This is what Lonely Planet and other international publication have said in the first sentence:"With five million residents and counting, the so-called ‘capital of the South’ continues to experience explosive growth thanks to southbound Yankees and international immigrants alike. It’s also booming as a tourist destination thanks to two glitzy 21st-century attractions"

So what kind of legacy was delivered in Atlanta, the "capital" of the southern states of America?
BBC - London - 2012 Olympic Games - Atlanta’s Olympic Legacy
Atlanta, after all, is best known as the economic powerhouse of the American South - the home of powerful multinationals like Coca-Cola and the parcel service, UPS
BBC NEWS | Americas | Atlanta Vice: A new US drugs hub?(yes I know,not the most flattering article,but gives you an idea how important Atlanta is for drug dealing too.LOL)
I think the international community actually knows the difference between Texas and the American South. You have many different articles stating this. When many think of Texas, they don't think of the South as we know it. They think of the cattle herding, cowboy riding, horseback riding, saloon drinking, wide open spaces, ranch living, dry area like Texas with hardly any trees.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Actually just like the general population of people,not just blacks.Cost,taxes,natural disaters,government cutbacks etc...
Which is true but no demographic have left in the numbers that blacks seem to be leaving California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City