Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 5 Most Important Cities In The South
Charlotte NC 68 45.03%
Atlanta GA 119 78.81%
Houston TX 109 72.19%
Austin TX 30 19.87%
New Orleans LA 42 27.81%
Tampa FL 18 11.92%
Miami FL 84 55.63%
Greensboro NC 8 5.30%
Charleston SC 8 5.30%
Memphis TN 19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

I don't believe Memphis nor Northern Arkansas is influenced by Atlanta or Houston nor do I think Memphis is the main be all in that region. Atlanta's influence is there though, at least from my observation. But the city I think holds the most influence in that region is St. Louis. It is very dominate in that area. Business wise, sports team, music, cultural ties, and more are very related to St. Louis. Houston's influence is like 3rd and you can make an argument for 4th by noting Chicago has a huge influence in the area as well.

Quote:
Atlanta also has a big influence on LA, with just the Federal Reserve alone.
Good point. However, Atlanta does not have all of LA. Just the Southern part. The Northern part of LA is influenced by Dallas when it comes to the Federal Reserve.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, not really. at least not in Texas. It was either Houston or head west to LA.
Disagree with this. I hear lots of blacks talking about visiting or moving to Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not to mention Atlanta's role as a oil and natural gas distribution center for the region. Where do people in Houston and New Orleans think it goes once it leaves the refinery?
This doesn't make much sense. Why would Houston and Louisiana send the oil that is to be distributed throughout the southeast to the complete opposite of the region when Houston and the state of Texas have more than enough capability to distribute the resource to the individual markets. I doesn't make much sense to me to distribute the oil from Texas and Louisiana to Atlanta which, from there, would then send the oil to places like Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, and North Carolina. I don't think Texas or Louisiana would have to go through Atlanta to distribute products to these markets.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Disagree with this. I hear lots of blacks talking about visiting or moving to Atlanta.
Some black folks want to move Atlanta because of hype or percieved perception. I am glad I have a mind of my own and don't have to follow the crowd.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not to mention Atlanta's role as a oil and natural gas distribution center for the region. Where do people in Houston and New Orleans think it goes once it leaves the refinery?
Seriously, the state of Texas is the most independent state in the country and doesn't depend on Atlanta for nothing especially anything dealing with oil and gas. Maybe in the southeast but definitely not any state bordering Texas.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,518 times
Hey there!
I'm not able to write own threads, so I have to leave a post here, even if it doesn't fits to the content.

My name is Valentine. I don't live in America but I'm thinking about studying there.
I need someone to talk with. So please contact me
on MSN: valentinamo@hotmail.com
on Skype: valentine_mo

Thanks for reading this!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM

415 posts, read 1,209,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Those are only estimates and they have been shown to be wrong before. But I do think that eventually, North Carolina will become more populous than Georgia. But no city in North Carolina will catch up with the behemoth that is Atlanta anytime soon.

The only truly fast-growing cities in NC are Charlotte, Raleigh, and Wilmington. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, Asheville, and Fayetteville all post average growth rates. And no, Charlotte will NOT be "in the same or bigger league than Atlanta" anytime soon. Atlanta's metro area is already over three times as large as Charlotte's (5.3 million vs. 1.7 million). And with our high unemployment and the banks losing luster, we're probably not going to be growing as fast as we once were in the foreseeable future. It will still be faster than average, but not as much as we used to.
okay, so maybe CLT wont in the future but I still see it making some marks in history. Also I am tired of everyone talking about the [b][i]Banking Crisis[i][b] okay so BofA did lose thier Executive but they already said that they are not going to pick anyone who has intentions of leaving the city. also Wachovia did sell out but it is still Wachovia its just part of Wells Fargo now and when the economy picks up I feel tha in about 10 to 15 years they'll be able to be independant again unless thier contract with Wells Fargo constraints them from doing so. Further more you still have a boatload of other major F500 and F1000 companies in CLT!

Don't get me wrong ATL is a nice city! but good gosh, I have intentions of moving to CLT but if it ever does become likr ATL you would see me packing my things up and headin back to my home town!

Say I do have a question. Right now I have my eyes set on going to the Art Institute Of Charlotte when i graduate and I would just like to know (because I've never stayed there long periods of time) but is Charlotte really great? I know it would for me sice im younge and yall have the Epicentre and tons of things to do, but is it a great place to suceed?suppose I wanted to start my own business there?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
okay, so maybe CLT wont in the future but I still see it making some marks in history. Also I am tired of everyone talking about the [b][i]Banking Crisis[i][b] okay so BofA did lose thier Executive but they already said that they are not going to pick anyone who has intentions of leaving the city. also Wachovia did sell out but it is still Wachovia its just part of Wells Fargo now and when the economy picks up I feel tha in about 10 to 15 years they'll be able to be independant again unless thier contract with Wells Fargo constraints them from doing so. Further more you still have a boatload of other major F500 and F1000 companies in CLT!

Don't get me wrong ATL is a nice city! but good gosh, I have intentions of moving to CLT but if it ever does become likr ATL you would see me packing my things up and headin back to my home town!

Say I do have a question. Right now I have my eyes set on going to the Art Institute Of Charlotte when i graduate and I would just like to know (because I've never stayed there long periods of time) but is Charlotte really great? I know it would for me sice im younge and yall have the Epicentre and tons of things to do, but is it a great place to suceed?suppose I wanted to start my own business there?
Well, you might as well get used to people talking about the banking industry in Charlotte...that topic is not going away any time soon.

No offense, but exactly how many times has a high-schooler had an opportunity to visit Atlanta? It doesn't even sound like you have a lot of experience in Charlotte, much less Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Visiting and moving, and being influenced are three completely different things. There are lots of places the black community in Texas would like to visit or move to such as Miami or New York or Los Angeles. But neither has any influence over Texas whatsoever.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Visiting and moving, and being influenced are three completely different things. There are lots of places the black community in Texas would like to visit or move to such as Miami or New York or Los Angeles. But neither has any influence over Texas whatsoever.
It might amaze some people, but folks of the same skin color don't all think the same way, do the same things, or want to live in the same places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City