Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,214 times

Advertisements

Alright ladies and germs, it has become apparent, to me at least, that our friend le roi is not completely all there. I cannot continue to address a blank slate that cannot understand the world around him. So I shall leave it to you, the discerning few, to determine "whom" was lashing out.... I feel confident that you will come to the correct conclusion. I shall sleep soundly in any case.

I must say though, in general, that the "stigma" is only in the minds of the few odd holdouts that are still sitting at home in deep in the woods in that double-wide, pouring hot lead into those antique musketball molds in preparation for the next squirmish that general Lees' descendants might organize on the outskirts of town...... of course all the while tending to the still.

Just think, in the year 2010 there are still a few "people" out in the hinterlands, hunkered by the fireplace, with musket in hand, waiting for that opportunity to once again display their intolerance, jealousy and self-rightous hatred of other fellow human beings...... simply because of where they come from.... the Northern part of these United States..... shocking indeed.

However, whilst I am standing firmly on this soapbox, may I point out to these "folk" some facts that have not been figured into their myopic view. It would seem, unless I am wrong again, that them thar yankees moving into the neighborhood may just be a good thing. For instance take that bastion of yankeedom.... St James Plantation ( and all the rest of the "gated" communities in the area ). The inhabitants of St James pay their fair share of taxes.... and yet.... they are predominantly (90%+) older couples without children living with them. They pay their full taxes and DO NOT use or burden the school system, they have their own Fire Dept and therefore DO NOT use or burden the local Fire Services, they have their own security patrol, therefore not burdening the local law enforcement..... they all, several thousand of them, also go forth EVERY DAY into Southport and the surrounding communities and do boat loads of business with the merchants, food shopping, gas station, Walmart, drugs stores, restaurants, marine stuff, doctors, dentists, attornies, landscapers and on and on..... adding perhaps kabillions of dollars to the local economy while not being a burden on any of their services. Maybe some of the "very few I'm sure ) disgruntled local folk that cannot think past their noses should consult with some of the business people mentioned above to see if those merchants feel the same way about those "yankee interlopers". Perhaps these merchants that are now paying their bills and mortgages BECAUSE of the business that these interlopers bring, perhaps they have a diferent viewpoint than the few isolated Civil War rejects. Perhaps they even say a silent prayer every night that the yankees have arrived, ONCE AGAIN..... to their rescue.

OK, sorry for the long rant, but just thought I'd mention a few tidbits of fact that may have been overlooked.

After a bit of thought, perhaps we will change our plans and proudly wear our New Jersey sweatshirts during our trip in a couple of weeks, it may just solicit praise and thanks from "the locals"....... at least from the ones that have their thinking straight. But maybe I'm all wrong again.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-16-2010 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
I must say though, in general, that the "stigma" is only in the minds of the few odd holdouts that are still sitting at home in deep in the woods in that double-wide.
I see.

So you don't think that the stigma exists. You already know everything there is to know.

Got it. You'll fit right in there.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
le roi, is it the gated part that's bothering you and other locals? What if Winding River tried to annex the land around it?

canals,

i think there are others who are bothered. i'd say i'm more perplexed by it.

Last edited by le roi; 11-16-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 07:20 PM

56 posts, read 159,911 times
Stonecreek67 have you looked at Brunswick Plantation?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
Default Brunswick Plantation

Just my 2 cents, Brunswick Plantation has tons of outside golf groups that come in from Canada and all over the place. Don't feel in the same category as St James or Ocean Ridge Plantation.

Golf course has way too many people playing it

Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM

Bunkershot, I agree with biscman. In addition, we "believe" that we want to be farther South, down in the Southport area, it is closer to the beach and Islands, also Brunswick plantation does not have either a beach club on the beach OR a Marina with restaurant, etc.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 AM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
le roi, For me the gated part is not an important factor in my choice of St James. I can see that as a factor for some homeowners that use St James as a second home or vacation home. If the homeowner was not there 100% of the time, a gated community would ease some security concerns. I ran into a person in that situation at the pool last summer. They had their primary home in Wilmington and used St James as a vacation home.
I think that the intention of annexing the surrounding land was more of a defensive maneuver to control what happens in the area immediately adjecent to the property. I believe that St James was incorporated to be free of Oak Island control. Am I correct?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM

OK, an issue “on topic”, as several times, earlier on this thread, the difficulty for “shopping” from St James and the Southport area has been mentioned. Here in NJ and NY perhaps millions of people make a daily commute of over an hour ( each way ) in horrible, heart-wrenching, parking lot type traffic, trains, busses, subways, etc…… compounded by snow and icy rain, making the daily trek even longer and more excruciating….. and they do this day in and day out for 20 or 30 or even more years.... THAT my friends, is a hardship.

We just went to the huge Bridgewater Commons Mall in Bridgewater, NJ, ( every store under the sun ) for the first time in months, it is only 18 miles from our house, it took 30 minutes in the middle of the day with NO traffic…. and we are considered “lucky” to be living so close to the mall. We and thousands of others in our area regularly go into Manhattan for dinner…. the Holland Tunnel is exactly 23 miles from our door, it takes 45+ minutes, or more, on a good day WITHOUT traffic, weekends are over an hour “ minimum” each way to get through that tunnel.... and THEN another 20 minutes to park the car.

I don’t see the “extreme hardship” of driving 35 – 40 minutes to Wilmington, OR an hour or so in the other direction to Myrtle Beach, “on occasion”, on a paved highway, with no traffic, in the middle of the day, to get to a “mall” and shop, have a leisurely lunch or dinner drive home….. “in my retirement” !

Unless I miss my guess, residents of St James, Southport, Oak Island, etc get their necessities of daily life at the local Food Lion, Lowes Food store, Lowes Supercenter and Walmart Supercenter just minutes away…. just like we do here at home. As we are 57.5 years of old age… and not young teenagers, we do not “hang” at a mall…. or go to the mall on any regular basis….. and I see no need to begin that practice in “retirement”.... especially when there are so many other pleasant things to do to occupy our time.

I do not see the “hardship” of “shopping” in the area of St James.

Any thoughts ???

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-19-2010 at 05:40 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
Well stated Mr Stonecreek67. Although not 57.5 i am 56years ols and turn 57 on St Pattys day and daily commute looks like this. Up at 4:30 am, leave house at 5:11 am, drive a half hour to the Ferry (630.00 a month no less) and take ferry to 50 minute ride to downtown, NYC, work 12 hours, reverse the commute and walk in the door at 8 pm or so for a leisure dinner than 1 hr on the treadmill as Doctor ordered me or cut 15 years off my life.
So putting everything in perspective i look forward to the 'long drives" to the malls and supermarkets down NC.

Where do I sign up????

40 months to go Baby!!!!!! As Dicky Vitale would say!! Cupcake City!!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Right on biscy...... what I really don't understand is the hysterical need for the "FIX" of "going shopping" all the time while retired down there..... I think my wife has already stocked up enough stuff in our closets to last through our entire retirement years... ( hopefully 30 yrs ). I was actually thinking / hoping that a longer drive just "might" be a deterrant to shopping.... and that would be a good thing.... IMHO.

PS: Do ya think you'll still set the alarm for 4:30AM when you get down there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina