Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
People who attend State actually like the city it's in and it has excellent job opportunities for the programs that are at the school. ECU has pretty much the same programs State has but the city doesn't have many of the job opportunities for those programs which makes the alumni move away and Greenville in reality isn't too attractive to make their alumni stay. (I'm not saying they don't stay bc there is a lot of ECU alumni here).
As a State alumnus I'll just say that people tolerate Raleigh; they don't exactly like it.

But to your other point State and ECU are actually quite different schools in terms of what's offered and why students attend. You're right that there's more opportunities in Raleigh for students to hang around afterward, and to that end RTP is intrinsically linked to NCSU in terms of job recruitment, sponsoring research, etc. In fact RTP is basically what changed State from a cow college into a science and engineering-focused school.

ECU shares a similar relationship to the hospital via the medical school; although it's not on the same level, it has had a similar positive impact on the school and Greenville. That's certainly one thing NCSU doesn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
we need more Banking (Wilson even has a larger banking industry than Greenville does)
It wouldn't surprise me if ECB eventually moves to Greenville at some point. I know their recent expansion fell through but they're still eyeing expansion into markets west of 95 which makes staying in Engelhard even more silly than it already is. It'd be like Lowe's sticking around Wilkesboro.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 04-25-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Haha that's the correct word, Tolerate. I can't tolerate Greenville in its current condition, but I can def. tolerate Raleigh a lot more. And sweeeet, what program did you graduate under? I hope I can transfer there sometime in 2013, I'm currently enrolled at ECU and I don't really like it as much as i thought i would. I may not even like State but I like Raleigh, plus my future career (computer engineering) is in the area.

And that's true, ECU has really put its blessings on the hospital.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
One of the biggest obstacles I foresee is the mindset of a lot of locals who think we haven't tried anything new and we shouldn't ever. Since you have nixed a ballpark downtown idea to spark a revitalization, do you have any ideas of your own for the west end, or just downtown, or Greenville itself?
I didn't nix anything. I just told it like it is.

The argument is that a team in Greenville would be a regional draw. It ain't happening. It didn't happen for Kinston and it won't happen for Greenville. Your own words "Who wants to go to Kinston just for a game?" works for Greenville the same as it does for Kinston.

And there are economic development zones all over Eastern Carolina. Built in the hopes that "build it and they will come" works. It doesn't work. Those words aren't in any developers business plan.

If I had my way this is what I would do. I would find the most upscale bar that there is downtown, make them tow the straight and narrow line on the law, and close the rest. The remaining bar would have to be open for lunch and dinner with a midnight closing time.

The festival that surrounds the downtown bars must stop. It draws a lot of the wrong kinds of people. It scares businesses and patrons away. It is anarchy down there after dark with the cops closing streets off so the students can party till all hours of the morning. This must stop. Too many resources are being used by a few businesses just to appease those businesses. I don't know how this came to be but it must end.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,451 times
well - I'm not saying that people would come to Greenville to see a ball game...but I'd sure bet money that the chances have got to be higher that people would come to Greenville to see ball than go to Kinston. Kinston has nothing to offer.

For the record - this thread is slowly starting to be a hate on Greenville thread. Can we get back to development talk?

Last edited by jpirate; 04-26-2012 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: q

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The festival that surrounds the downtown bars must stop. It draws a lot of the wrong kinds of people. It scares businesses and patrons away. It is anarchy down there after dark with the cops closing streets off so the students can party till all hours of the morning. This must stop. Too many resources are being used by a few businesses just to appease those businesses. I don't know how this came to be but it must end.
The good ol' boy network which still owns everything is what's keeping other businesses out of downtown, which it's worth noting didn't have anything before all the bars sprang up. No known force in the universe is going to keep college kids from partying, and closing the bars downtown just means they open up elsewhere, which means drunk kids driving all over town. On a positive note I have a hunch, assuming the college bubble doesn't catastrophically collapse in the next few years, that more non-bar businesses will eventually find their way downtown. Mostly stuff that caters to college kids, but hey better than nothing, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Kinston has nothing to offer.

For the record - this thread is slowly starting to be a hate on Greenville thread. Can we get back to development talk?
Speaking of which, all this complaining about Greenville is funny considering if you want to hop in a time machine and see what the place was like 15 years ago, drive on down to Kinston.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 04-26-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
No known force in the universe is going to keep college kids from partying, and closing the bars downtown just means they open up elsewhere, which means drunk kids driving all over town.
Then why don't cities like Chapel Hill have this problem?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM

54 posts, read 75,542 times
Who's to say chapel hill doesn't? Ecu students are looked at as out of control maniacs while unc students are just having fun when they have riots jumping over fires after a big win

Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,015 times
Quote:
I didn't nix anything. I just told it like it is.

The argument is that a team in Greenville would be a regional draw. It ain't happening. It didn't happen for Kinston and it won't happen for Greenville. Your own words "Who wants to go to Kinston just for a game?" works for Greenville the same as it does for Kinston.
You clearly are not thoroughly reading what's being written here. I'd explain it again, but I'd rather you take the time to go back and go over it again, this time without taking other people's words and ideas out of their context. And your idea to assign one bar for downtown while eliminating all the others is absurd.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvllepirate View Post
Who's to say chapel hill doesn't? Ecu students are looked at as out of control maniacs while unc students are just having fun when they have riots jumping over fires after a big win
Well that and unless things have drastically changed since I was last there Franklin St. has more than its fair share of drinking and nightlife establishments.

Quote:
Then why don't cities like Chapel Hill have this problem?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by problem. Earlier you posted your disapproval of police blocking off parts of downtown late at night for kids at the bars as an impediment to other business that could be taking place. But what other businesses exactly do you have in mind that would be open downtown late at night?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Downtown Greenvlle will always be the spot where nightclubs, bars, and etc are that's why the West End should be revitalized for residents. If I weren't a student you would never catch me downtown but that's just me. In about 20-30 years maybe downtown will actually be a nice area, everything we all envision isn't going to happen as fast as we would like it to but I can see that progress is being made. Over the next 10 years I would like to see a hotel built, a master plan for the West End at the very least, a renovation of Town Commons, more companies locating downtown, and about 100 condo's built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina