Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Good discussion...

My take on the airport situation is that Greenville will continue to be the passenger terminal while Kinston provides the bulk type situation. While folks all over the state like to rail on the GTP, its not all their fault...the State had no infrastructure in place (rail/roads) to support the project...in fact there was not much infrastructure at all in ENC. Its coming and I think in 15 more years it can be a viable project. As for Greenville's flight issues, that can change overnight. With 264 (again it would help if it was a interstate) Greenville just has to lure one low cost airline that will provide an alternative to Raleigh's busier airport. The presence of Southwest at RDU hurts this cause. In other words, it needs to be the airline industry that determines Greenville (which is a viable airport and becoming more so with the runway expansion) is a destination, not necessarily the other way around. As RDU gets busier and more crowded, PGV needs to ramp up its efficiency and "smallness" factor. As infrastructure comes into ENC, it can help the area develop and also increase the market. PGV doesnt need to worry about recreational or bulk because the recreational can fly to Washington and bulk to Kinston....so it can narrow its focus to just passengers...that being said, its not doing a great job right now.

And I don't see a need for another airport at all...just better focus of the three existing airports I listed.
The current location of PGV isn't big enough for any aircraft larger than what already lands there now. The runway is only being lengthened at the behest of the FAA. They were not happy with some obstructions that were in the way and they wanted more runway for the current types of commuter aircraft that service the airport now. There are also issues with some of the buildings in downtown Greenville. The runway is not being lengthened so larger aircraft will be able to service PGV.

In order to get jet liner class aircraft into PGV literally the entire runway would need to be torn up and a better landing surface installed. Look up the specs for PGV and then look up the specs for Kinston. You'll see that the Kinston runway is significantly heavier duty than PGV. Heavy aircraft require thick concrete runways. PGV is an asphalt runway suitable only for single and double wheel aircraft.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPGV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,706 times
In regards to the need for a larger airport... Check out KCHO. It is in a college town, shorter, single runway, and has more than 40 daily departures on 4 different airlines, commuter planes only. I think they enplaned more than 450000 last year. Size has nothing to do with lack of service, no matter what local officials say.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Charlottesville is a great example as to what Greenville needs to emulate...and they do it with direct competition from Richmond, which has low cost airlines in AirTran and JetBlue. As I said, I think Southwest is the game changer for Greenville's sake, it flies a lot of places, not just one.

Charlottesville has obviously proven that it can make airlines money because it has 4 airlines, USAir, Delta, American and United, none of them low cost, and flies to 6 different destinations, all major cities. PGV should be looking at how Charlottesville markets and the infrastructure in and out of the airport and put a plan in place to make that happen in Greenville.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Charlottesville has obviously proven that it can make airlines money because it has 4 airlines, USAir, Delta, American and United, none of them low cost, and flies to 6 different destinations, all major cities.
Technically 3 soon since US Air's getting ready to buy out AA.

As for PGV, there needs to be an Eastern NC equivalent to GSO. RDU sucks for flying out of. I'll take a couple of layovers on smaller regional jets over the hassle of RDU any day.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
The folks in Wilmington try to identify where people are flying to and then coordinate a direct flight (or low cost option) there. That's how they justified the Orlando flight by Allegiant.

I have to wonder where people with ENC addresses near Greenville fly to most. I bet a Myrtle Beach flight would work if it was direct. Probably a DC flight as well and NYC.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
As for PGV, there needs to be an Eastern NC equivalent to GSO. RDU sucks for flying out of. I'll take a couple of layovers on smaller regional jets over the hassle of RDU any day.
I LOVE flying out of GSO (well, LOVE being a relative term, since flying is still a hassle). Flying out of PGV is sure easy, but obviously limited. We did it a couple of times when we lived in Greenville. Also flew out of Kinston when Allegiant flew to Orlando from there. We have quite a few more options out of GSO (I live in Winston-Salem now)...flying nonstop to Tampa next month. It's extremely easy to get in and out of GSO.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
If the plans for a downtown baseball stadium don't work out. Do you think there would be any interest in putting a baseball stadium on 264 East? East of the North Campus crossing ( Bradford Creek) area? Maybe a joint partnership between Greenville & Washington to bring a team to that area. It would make things easier to get people in and out. Seems like a lot of land out there that could be used for this purpose. I know it was flooded back in 99, but I don't think it should deter development from that area. If it's put in that area, it could be close to the proposed Eastern Loop around greenville and would allow easier access to people north, south, and east of greenville.
I believe one of the major purposes of a proposed Baseball park is to spur more economic development. A smaller American Tobacco District/Durham Bulls Park. Having it there would not create the type of development that is wanted.

They want to "clear" out the dilapidated buildings Uptown.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The current location of PGV isn't big enough for any aircraft larger than what already lands there now. The runway is only being lengthened at the behest of the FAA. They were not happy with some obstructions that were in the way and they wanted more runway for the current types of commuter aircraft that service the airport now. There are also issues with some of the buildings in downtown Greenville. The runway is not being lengthened so larger aircraft will be able to service PGV.

In order to get jet liner class aircraft into PGV literally the entire runway would need to be torn up and a better landing surface installed. Look up the specs for PGV and then look up the specs for Kinston. You'll see that the Kinston runway is significantly heavier duty than PGV. Heavy aircraft require thick concrete runways. PGV is an asphalt runway suitable only for single and double wheel aircraft.

AirNav: KPGV - Pitt-Greenville Airport
If they are absolutely serious, the City/County, almost needs to issue an Airport Infrastructure bond, and do it correct.

Start with Belvior Highway. It needs to be reconfigured, again. Take out that S-curve and build it further north and west of the airport, so it will never be an issue again.

Then buy out/condemn/etc everything inside of (the western segment) Airport Road, Old River Road, Belvior Highway, Greenfield Park, and Memorial Drive.

Extend Runway 2/20 northward, and update/add any needed infrastructure.

In between the City/County splitting it, while using State/Federal money, it is possible.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Check out these two websites that monitor the Tar River. It is especially neat after the rain we had last night.

This is from the USGS and NOAA.

The NOAA page has flood impact zones, with specific areas mentioned. Kind of cool.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Technically 3 soon since US Air's getting ready to buy out AA.

That 46 flights a day number probably won't change, though. Also making those numbers enviable is the fact that Richmond International, an airport that more than doubles GSO traffic is not much more than an hour drive, as is Lynchburg and Shenandoah Regional, both of which draw a bit of traffic based on ticket prices. CHO's numbers might be hard to duplicate, but with the location of PGV, it seems as though there would be a fair customer base. What CHO has the PGV doesn't is the fact that Charlottesville has a reputation as a travel destination. Most cities that size- Greenville, Lynchburg, even Roanoke don't have that reputation.

Last edited by sregorat3; 02-08-2013 at 07:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina