Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Wonder if they'll try to move the trial somewhere else....
I don't know where in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
What happened is terrible but I don't think it should destroy Penn State. Everyone is so quick to criticize from the window looking in but what if you were in that position? Some of you I'm sure would do the right thing and go to the police but others...I'm not so sure if you'd risk your reputation as well as that of the school.

It's unfortunate that there are sick individuals out there, I'd certainly be a proponent of locking them all up for good, BUT I'm not a proponent of destroying reputation of those who didn't commit the crime.

Is there more to be uncovered? Yes and the scale of this may shock many people. From what I've been hearing, Penn State is definitely going to be in some serious financial hurt after the civil cases are through and I've heard about 4 very large donors to PSU that are completely halting future donations pending the outcome of this.
Penn State will recover. A reminder to keep the conversation to the Penn State situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You make a hero out of a football coach, and turn him into a demigod, you pay the price when it turns out he's a self-centered egomaniac.

As far as I'm concerned the victims of Sandusky's crimes and Paterno and his staffs negligence should own Penn State after this. There are 8 victims in the grand jury report..multiply that a few times POST 1998 to understand the gravity of this.
Paterno wasn't a demigod, he was told he WAS God so many times I think he actually believed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
A Patriot-News Special Report: Who knew what about Jerry Sandusky? There were many missed chances to investigate as early as 1995 | PennLive.com

This small newspaper broke the Sandusky story back in March. The MSM totally ignored it. I guess it was more important for them to "investigate" what color nail polish Lindsay Lohan might be wearing.
The "small newspaper" you refer to is the daily paper in the capital city of Pennsylvania. It's MSM.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-12-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
He should be fired!!! I don't understand why he is not being fired!!
In effect, he has been. In a situation like this, "put on administrative leave" basically means "we're working out the details of his exit." He can no longer perform his duties as needed; he knows it and the board knows it. They may be required to keep paying him for a period of time, but his career at Penn State is over.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Coincidence?

I wonder if there is any significance to the fact that this story broke immediately AFTER Paterno earned his victory to pass Eddie Robinson for second on the all-time winniest college football coach list? Certainly tends to show that many were involved in the coverup, including those who were doing the investigation.

What a bunch of maggots. I hope they all are prosecuted to the full extent of the law, including Joe Paterno. He stinks just like everyone else involved IMO.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
i just wish for one game that people would boycott penn state football and send a message that this is not acceptable in sports-that winning isn't everything.

this coverup is what it what it all comes down to-- keeping the alumni and fans happy, and, mainly, keeping the money rolling in.

those children had to pay too big a price for that, and it should be pointed out to penn state (and the country) somehow.

my guess is that isn't going to happen, but it would be the right thing to do.

since some of the students chose to actually riot over the firing of paterno, i would guess that football is still more important to them than protecting little children from being raped by old men, and there is your mob mentality in action. did anyone ask how would those students have felt if it was their little brother?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:22 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know where in this day and age.

Penn State will recover. mod edit: the off topic statement has been removed.

Paterno wasn't a demigod, he was told he WAS God so many times I think he actually believed it.

The "small newspaper" you refer to is the daily paper in the capital city of Pennsylvania. It's MSM.
(mod edit: the off topic sentence has been removed.)

This is just the beginning of a long long journey for the families and for the people connected to this story.

It just saddens me to think of this mishap.

Most of the nation had such respect for PSU.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-12-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In effect, he has been. In a situation like this, "put on administrative leave" basically means "we're working out the details of his exit." He can no longer perform his duties as needed; he knows it and the board knows it. They may be required to keep paying him for a period of time, but his career at Penn State is over.
Well that is good to hear, but I will feel better when I hear the word "fired", not "put on administrative leave."
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i just wish for one game that people would boycott penn state football and send a message that this is not acceptable in sports-that winning isn't everything.

this coverup is what it what it all comes down to-- keeping the alumni and fans happy, and, mainly, keeping the money rolling in.

those children had to pay too big a price for that, and it should be pointed out to penn state (and the country) somehow.

my guess is that isn't going to happen, but it would be the right thing to do.

since some of the students chose to actually riot over the firing of paterno, i would guess that football is still more important to them than protecting little children from being raped by old men, and there is your mob mentality in action. did anyone ask how would those students have felt if it was their little brother?
I wish people would boycott the game today too.

Not all students are rioting at PSU.....

At Penn State candlelight vigil, a search for solace | Reuters

Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
penn state needs to write a new theme song:

Do not diddle kids - YouTube

instead of dishonoring this:
When we stood at childhood’s gate,
Shapeless in the hands of fate,
Thou didst mold us dear old State
Dear Old State, dear old State.

May no act of ours bring shame
To one heart that loves thy name,
May our lives but swell thy fame,
Dear old State, dear old State.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
This is just a total speculation on my part... but based on the most recent reports about Sandusky, reading between the lines... I think something's very fishy about he and his wife having 5 adopted boys (if I'm not mistaken). Sadly, I'm very suspecious that those boys were probably abused as well by him. I bet they will be questioned as a part of this investigation. I think there was a report of one being abused in 1995, if I'm not mistaken. Something just doesn't sound right about a serial pedophile having 5 adopted children... This guy is truely a monster and I hope he gets locked up for a long time in the general public part of prison and not isolated.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:20 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
FEDS MUST INVESTIGATE PENN STATE

There should be a federal investigation into what appears to be a cover-up. There is no reason for the public to place any faith in the internal investigation announced Friday afternoon by Penn State's interim president.

It’s time for President Obama to address a sports issue of substance and significance. He should demand that US Attorney General Eric Holder launch a comprehensive, criminal investigation into the Paterno State Tragedy.

We’re talking about the alleged molestation of children that transpired on a college campus for years. This is the worst scandal in the history of sports.

Is it not clear that allegiance to the Penn State football program caused some level of negligence and/or corruption as it relates to Jerry Sandusky? Is it not clear that protection of Joe Paterno’s legacy/reputation seems to be a driving force in the investigation that conveniently reached a crescendo one week after Paterno secured his place as the winningest coach in major college football?

Only the Pennsylvania State Police had the courage to briefly steer off message and state that Paterno did not do enough in 2002 when a graduate assistant told him Sandusky did something of a “sexual nature” with a naked boy in the locker room shower. The district attorney prosecuting Sandusky went out of her way to issue public exonerations of Paterno.
Why?

We don’t need a sanitized investigation into what transpired at Penn State. The only way to scare other small towns and powerful universities seduced by college football’s riches and fame from coddling a potential predator is for the whole ugly truth to spill out and for the people responsible to be held fully accountable.

We can’t leave this task to the emasculated media, particularly the sports media. We don’t have the power of subpoena or the necessary resources and backbone.

The watchdogs of our democracy can no longer be counted on to watch. American media are the worldwide leader in ethical conflicts. That’s why we need President Obama, Eric Holder and a federal investigation.

Joe Paterno is too beloved in Pennsylvania to trust an investigation this important to state officials. (Who knows the level of his involvement/knowledge of the abuse) They don’t deserve another opportunity to botch the Sandusky investigation.

^^^^An excerpt msnsports, I don't often agree with Whitlock, but he nailed it on this one, you can read the article in it entirety here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...scandal-111111

Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 AM

53 posts, read 84,968 times
Mig1 is correct; this investigation should absolutely not be trusted to Pennsylvania officials. Look how long this was going on & everyone kept quiet. I have only lived here a short time but it has been enough time to clearly see how things are handled (or not handled) here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football