Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
For the record, the Clemson-OSU game got out of hand quickly because OSU missed 2 easy field goals at the beginning and Barrett couldn't complete anything. I agree Wisconsin wouldn't stand a chance in a matchup, though I'm not sure that game was totally representative of Clemson vs. <big 10 champ>.
The game got out of hand quickly because Deshaun Watson is a vastly superior QB compared to J.T. Barrett. Clemson also had a better defense.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I can't have hurt feelings when it comes to sports, got bigger fish to fry. Not a Wisconsin fan, only the teams I bet on each week! I thought Wisconsin was 'meh' early in the season. From what I see lately, they may be the best team now- there's no denying they have a worse resume than Clemson, Auburn, several others- and I may be wrong that their as good as I think. But I've seen so much presumptive analysis thru the years when it comes to predictions that cite schedule strength in the NFL, college football, and college basketball. It's a common fallacy. Team A can be 10-0 with the toughest slate since the defense of the Alamo and Team B can be 10-0 vs nothing but community colleges located in the Caribou region of Maine. Still doesn't mean Team A is better.
I haven't seen Wisconsin play yet so I can't evaluate them. They don't seem to have a very prolific offense, though. I see that they have the nation's top defense so it's possible they could be a dynamite team. I guess we'll find out this weekend.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:39 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
The updated playoff rankings are out:

1. Clemson
2. Auburn
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconsin
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Miami(FL)
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. USC
11. TCU
12. Stanford
13. Washington
14. UCF
15. Notre Dame

Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The updated playoff rankings are out:

1. Clemson
2. Auburn
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconsin
5. Alabama
6. Georgia
7. Miami(FL)
8. Ohio State
9. Penn State
10. USC
11. TCU
12. Stanford
13. Washington
14. UCF
15. Notre Dame
Cream rising. Alabama's soft schedule needs to keep them out.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Sending out an SOS for Alabama's strength of schedule | AL.com

Old 11-28-2017, 08:59 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Top 7 was exactly as I figured, except I might have Georgia flip-flopped with Alabama. The talking point somehow I think that is being overlooked amongst all the talking heads on the airwaves and in the print media, is the fact that a 3 loss Auburn team in the playoff is a possibility. Obviously they will be favored to beat Georgia again, but if they lose a nail-biter, they still would have a better resume than 2 loss Ohio State (who as I mentioned the other day on this thread, I can't for the life of me understand how can they are remotely alive).

Even with two extra losses, you wouldn't justify Alabama ahead of Auburn. Auburn clearly deserves to be ahead of Alabama, just having thoroughly outplayed them last weekend and a close loss to Clemson- which weighs more positively than Alabama's zero losses out-of-conference vs. nobody that is impressive. So Auburn loses an additional game this Saturday, because they played in a game that Alabama didn't get to play in due to losing to Auburn, big whoop. Hence, that wouldn't make sense to ascend Bama ahead of Auburn. Obviously Auburn would still need other help. Miami needs to lose to Clemson (likely), and also Wisconsin or Oklahoma would need to go down this weekend.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:55 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
I don't think Auburn will get in if it loses to UGA even if other favored teams lose. The committee has never taken a 2 loss team in previous seasons so they aren't going to take a 3 loss team this year.

Alabama also beat LSU, a team that beat Auburn. I think that negates the head to head result if Auburn has an extra loss. Auburn would have beat UGA bad at home but lost on a neutral field. Auburn doesn't really have any good road wins. Texas AM was the best one.

Alabama's win at MSU is solid because MSU was much better at home.

I also think Bama's win against FSU was a good win despite FSU's record, given FSU's talent level. FSU lost a lot of close games this year. FSU was good enough to finish 2nd in SEC East this year.

I would take TCU over Bama if TCU beats Oklahoma because one of TCU's losses was on the road at Okla. The other was at Iowa State who beat OU in Norman. It is surprising TCU is ranked no. 11. I would have them at no. 7 behind Bama and UGA and ahead of Miami.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-28-2017 at 10:22 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 05:17 AM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't think Auburn will get in if it loses to UGA even if other favored teams lose. The committee has never taken a 2 loss team in previous seasons so they aren't going to take a 3 loss team this year.

Alabama also beat LSU, a team that beat Auburn. I think that negates the head to head result if Auburn has an extra loss. Auburn would have beat UGA bad at home but lost on a neutral field. Auburn doesn't really have any good road wins. Texas AM was the best one.
The college football playoff (four years its been around) doesn't exactly have a big sample size to be making the assumption that two loss or three loss teams don't fit the criteria, and we're comparing different caliber of teams each year. Just because of the Ohio St/Penn St situation also last year, assumptions shouldn't be drawn, and there were a myriad of completely different factors when it came to leaving out Penn St. Has there been a team ranked second with two losses and just a single of weekend of games left? Big difference.

Your going to have to knock Auburn down several notches and that could be hard to do if a few other teams behind them also lose. I also don't see how Alabama beating LSU and Auburn losing at LSU (by the skin of its teeth) can actually negate a head-to-head result between Auburn and Alabama four days ago, a game easily won by Auburn. However, it is the only aspect Alabama ultimately could use as a compelling argument by the committee. Common opponents is a criteria. However the committee doesn't look at quality road wins; that isn't a criteria. NCAA Tournament, yes; but not the CFP.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:38 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Folks are pointing out the precedent set last year for a 1 loss no conference title team getting in over 2 loss conference champion team- Bama over OSU or TCU this year.

Remember OSU had 3 Top 10 wins last year. Bama does not have the same resume.

Speaking on Wisconsin, they are a legit title contender. The defense is salty, they have some perimeter althletes for once and they are a tough matchup. How many teams these days run two TE ground and pound play action ball??? They only question is their QB executing on a consistent basis- if that happens on any given game they are easily a title contending team. Unfortunately I don't think my buckeyes will beat them.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Folks are pointing out the precedent set last year for a 1 loss no conference title team getting in over 2 loss conference champion team- Bama over OSU or TCU this year.

Remember OSU had 3 Top 10 wins last year. Bama does not have the same resume.
I don't see any way OSU gets in over Bama. They've got about 1.5 more good wins than Alabama with 1 more loss, one of which was a complete disaster against an unranked team.

I don't understand why people pretend as if FSU's QB didn't get injured. That threw their entire season into turmoil. The FSU that Alabama faced in its opener was clearly not the same FSU going forward for the rest of the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football