Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:41 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Doesn't matter. It is legal under state law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Apparently you flunked social studies. Federal Law supersedes state law in any case where they conflict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yes but the Feds are not ever never going to swoop into Telluride, or Colorado Springs, or anyplace else in this state and start rounding up pot heads. Personally I can't stand the smell of the stuff, makes me sick to my stomach. But the people decided to legalize it, so be it. Don't smoke it in front of me, and I won't throw up on you.
If the Federal government decides to end Colorado's and Washington's experiments with legalization, they will do it without the Prohibition-style raids of the 1930s. The most likely tactic the Federal government will pursue is to withhold money for programs until the state/people get rid of Amendment 64. This is how the Federal government got all of the states to raise their drinking ages to 21.

It is possible that the Federal government could:
- withhold education money from the state and school districts because $40 million in tax money (if it gets voted in) is supposed to school construction. The state would lose about 10% of its education funding.

- withhold money for improvement and maintenance of roads and highways. They could also end subsidies for mass transit.

- require drug testing for people who are collecting Federal disability payments like SSI or other payments like unemployment or welfare. I doubt they would do this though.

There are other scenarios that the Feds could use as well.

The state government could end the experiment without going to the voters if they wish. They could very easily have Amendment 64 declared unconstitutional so it could be wiped off the books without a vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 AM

50,784 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Marijuana IS consumed routinely in public in Colorado, guess you don't get out much. Now more than ever. Just a few days back practically got a contact high from THC filled clouds in Aspen in front of the police station. I see people lighting up openly everywhere. Colorado is ground zero for the Kind BUD. Where do live, on the kansas border?
I think the bigger question is where do you live? I "get out" a fair amount...although not to bars and such...and I've yet to encounter pot being smoked in public. And yes, I know the smell.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 AM

473 posts, read 848,909 times
You're not going to find a complex or any sort of commercial residential facility that's "officially" pot friendly. While recreational use is accepted and tolerated there's really no market for something like that.

Best bet is to scout out like minded neighborhoods such as Boulder, around downtown Denver (Capitol Hill/Baker, etc) or small towns like Nederland or Manitou Springs. Then, visit local head shops, dispensaries (if you plan to get your license to buy), and find like minded friends on Meetup or Craigslist. You'll eventually make connections.

Most pot smoking takes place in the home. If it's in public it's generally in a park, concert, or very small bar/cafe where there's ample space, a patio and people know each other.

As for public consumption it's prevalent enough but not crazy; I've seen it plenty and do smell an occasional whiff around town too.

My advice is find the place you'd like to live (which based on your post would be a liberal open type community), and you can eventually make friends, and find a 420 friendly living situation from it. Start with just making similar friends and possibly for other activities - and you'll find people open to shared smoking with you.

Or, rent a house yourselves and post for/screen roommates. Any roommate or shared living post that says "420 friendly" is a nice way of saying "We may or may not smoke pot and don't mind if you do too." (Varying levels of use apply.)

Good luck. oh, and I don't believe 60 and 62 qualifies as "little old ladies".

Last edited by jamesdenver; 08-25-2013 at 02:31 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie Lollie View Post
Oh thank you, Mike! I'm an online consultant and make a fair living. I like to pay as little as I can to live in a decent, reasonably safe area, where I can keep my two well housebroken chihuahuas, and my treadmill desk. I come from blue collar stock and I'm most comfortable with the same. At the same time, I'm willing to pay an extra hundred or two a month for a complex that has an indoor pool and hot tub. Cause my joints are getting tender enough to pay a little extra to take care of them.

I'll pay what I have to to meet those goals. Does that help? I'd love to find a place for $500. I'd wince like hell at a $1000 but you know, you pay what you have to. Someone told me Pueblo would be reasonably priced.
Pueblo is probably the cheapest of the cities along the I-25 corridor. An aging steel mill town trying to rise from it's ashes; not at all attractive to most people.

Next cheaper place is most likely Colo Spgs and you'd fit in fine in the area on the west side known as Old Colorado City (aka OCC, a term you can search on and find a lot of info) which has the vibe you seek.

Maybe 2-3 miles west of OCC is Manitou Springs which is rather touristy, sits at the base of Pikes Peak, is hilly with narrow streets, a bit quaint or rustic, and is alleged to have an old hippy vibe. It is a really cool place that has some fun events during the year, like the fruit cake toss in January, the Mardi Gras parade and mumbo jumbo gumbo cook-off in February, coffin races in October, and many more.

Denver metro area has pockets of affordability. Boulder is very pricy but is the pot capitol of the state, or at least the Front Range corridor.

MMJ is widespread along the Front Range. Recreational MJ (let's call it RMJ) is iffy as both the city of Colorado Springs and the surrounding El Paso County have already banned sales of RMJ. Manitou may ban such sales, and that's iffy right now. Under the recently passed amendment one may grow up to six plants for personal use.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,641 times
Your housing budget is going to be a huge stumbling block even in Pueblo which is more affordable than Boulder or Denver.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,344,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think the bigger question is where do you live? I "get out" a fair amount...although not to bars and such...and I've yet to encounter pot being smoked in public. And yes, I know the smell.
Come to Denver and take a walk along the 16th Street Mall --- or better yet, take a walk through Civic Center Park! I work downtown and see it consumed and smell it EVERY DAY. Also, I have neighbors who sit on their porch and smoke it and it's pretty obnoxious. One of the many reasons I'm planning my eventual exit from Colorado. I actually don't have a problem with people consuming marijuana, but I don't want to see it and smell it. And so far, between Amendment 64 and MMJ, enforcement of any of the rules is a complete joke.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
I can't answer most of your questions, but twice now in Manitou Springs (I've only been up there twice) and once in downtown Colorado Springs, I've passed people smoking on the street or at a table on the street.

I wouldn't consider Colorado Springs to be a pot-friendly town, in general, though. Manitou is a different story. But I'd talk to people who know more before making decisions. Mine is just a first impression.
You got it right, Charlotte.

Ladies, my friend's son, 35, had police come over bec of a robbery complaint (family dispute
With ex step father is all.) In. Co Springs.
He said,Sure come in and look around, but I have a couple pot plants growing.
Cops: Oh, we don't care about that (or them).

No one cares, and no one knows if you have a permit or not.
The closer you get to the mountains the better....downtown, then Old Colorado City,
then Manitou, then Green Mountain Falls, Cascade, etc
Telluride is 6 hrs from here it is just too dang remote from airports and great hospitals for me.
I could drag myself to the ER I live so close. And have visited many friends by walking over.
You know this is a consideration as we old hippies buy homes.

This whole surrounding area is for you. And their are many lesbians all over the place
If by chance you get stares...no one will.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 AM

473 posts, read 848,909 times
Quote:
I actually don't have a problem with people consuming marijuana, but I don't want to see it and smell it.
I believe that's a issue of courtesy and respect for others. Yesterday I took out of town friends to the 16th Street mall and a guy walking in front of me was chomping down a cigar. In open air the smell was everywhere, so much that myself and a family next to me crossed the street to walk on the other side. Same reason people on the bus/train think there's no problem blaring music without headphones.

And I'd echo my thoughts about just making friends into other mutual hobbies and interests; hiking, biking, crafting or whatever you do. Pot probably isn't your entire life, so if you come here "just to smoke pot" you'll probably meet boring less interesting folks.

Most people who smoke recreationally aren't committing their life to it or smoking dawk til dusk. They're normal folks with well rounded lives who partake socially in moderation.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Btw, $45 ya see a doc for the prescription, send that, application and $35 to the State
(Address, doc has), pay price for Postal Registered letter.
That same day with Registered letter receipt you can get first time customer prices
all over town.
My gosh, it is a science now...don't want to get the munchies, got it.
Want to sleep, want energy, have nausea from chemo...it's endless.
Ounces can be $150-250 depending....hashish, and edibles and butter
to make your own. It's like a farmer's market in the dispensaries.
And very friendly bec of the competition.
Shake is cheap to make your own butter or oil....simmer about 4-5 hrs, btw, strain.

Tell doc one ache or pain you really have or trouble with
insomnia due to menapause, which
you probably have.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie Lollie View Post
I'd love to find a place for $500. I'd wince like hell at a $1000 but you know, you pay what you have to. Someone told me Pueblo would be reasonably priced.
We're retired & traveling the rockies living in rentals in areas where we can downhill & skate ski.

$500/month rent is a bit out of the question in most places. Pueblo, Walsenburg or Leadville, maybe I would recommend you research.

What are your other interests and needs? Do you mind cold weather? snow? Want to be near major medical? skiing? hiking? fishing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado