Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 05:25 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,969 times

Advertisements

Mississippi also losing business for passing this. If we can quash this
I think we could land PayPal likely in Fort Mill or Rock Hill though over Columbia due to
Proximity to Charlotte workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:46 AM

117 posts, read 183,928 times
I sure hope this comes across correctly as I am really trying to get others perspective of this law as I will share mine. My understanding is if a person is biologically a certain sex there is no issue with that person using the restroom of their gender rather they were born that way or not. Am I wrong in my interpretation? If so, enlighten me. If not, what is the issue? According to my interpretation most of the examples I've seen posted on Facebook or other social media showing pictures of "transformed" people and saying "so this person should have to go to women's room" are actually folks that can go to the bathroom ten times a day for the rest of their lives in the restroom for the gender they have become without issue... Am I misunderstanding this? Thank you in advance

Last edited by Sonatco; 04-07-2016 at 06:31 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
One of the basics of these "laws" is you are the sex (male or female) that is on your birth certificate and that is the bathroom/locker room you will use regardless of how you behave, dress, feel, align yourself with, consider yourself to be, etc.

This approach sounds simple, but is far from such.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 AM

Birth certificate can be changed if a person changes physically to the gender of choice, correct?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One of the basics of these "laws" is you are the sex (male or female) that is on your birth certificate and that is the bathroom/locker room you will use regardless of how you behave, dress, feel, align yourself with, consider yourself to be, etc.

Exactly, and apparently not every state allows a post-transition transgendered person to change their sex on their birth certificate.

The hoopla over predators in bathrooms is complete hogwash as well. Not only is that already a crime, but there is no evidence it is an actual threat. To me, it's the same as that now widely-debunked claim that gays were all pedophiles, so decriminalizing sodomy and granting civil rights to gay people would lead to a rash of child molestations. It wasn't true then and isn't true now. The same applies for transgender predators in bathrooms.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

And regardless of how you look. That's going to be the interesting part.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:26 PM

44 posts, read 66,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
As a mother she should understand that nine year old girls should be able to walk into a public restroom without a predator acting like he's a member of the lgbt following her in.
It's hard to believe someone would actually post/believe this. If me or my 8 yr old daughter have anything to fear, it's being raped/killed by some straight guy with a gun -- not a transgender person trying to use the restroom! Gay and trans people are just trying to live their lives just like you and me. I'm from Asheville and went to school in Chapel Hill, and while I'm extremely embarrassed by the current group of horrific Republicans governing my home state, I'm very proud to live in Columbia (which is by far the most progressive city in the Carolinas). I'll be contacting members of the SC House and Senate in the next couple of days to let them know this is not the way to move our state forward.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPetal View Post
It's hard to believe someone would actually post/believe this. If me or my 8 yr old daughter have anything to fear, it's being raped/killed by some straight guy with a gun -- not a transgender person trying to use the restroom! Gay and trans people are just trying to live their lives just like you and me. I'm from Asheville and went to school in Chapel Hill, and while I'm extremely embarrassed by the current group of horrific Republicans governing my home state, I'm very proud to live in Columbia (which is by far the most progressive city in the Carolinas). I'll be contacting members of the SC House and Senate in the next couple of days to let them know this is not the way to move our state forward.
Horrific republicans??? There have been some open minded folks just trying to have a decent conversation to understand the law and the other viewpoint and this is what you choose to Pick out and comment on labeling republicans and assuming they are horrible because they don't share your opinion.
I did a little research and this is the best explaination I found. By a horrible republican I guess you'd say but I never say "horrible democrat" ...go figure. Anyway, here is what I considered a decent explaination, read for yourself:
Without the law any man can go into a ladies restroom without consequence, not just transgender. This was forced by an ordinance in Charlotte that took away women's expectation of privacy while in a restroom. The bill in response addressed the loophole it created. It also provides that if someone is transgender they can change their sex on their birth certificate to the sex they identify with and use that restroom. If they can spend thousands on procedures to change their sex, I don't think it asks too much to change their sex on their birth certificate. It also only applies to public facilities such as schools etc. I have read the bill. I don't think it's purpose is to strip the rights of transgendered people away, but rather to help insure that men with bad intentions are not in ladies restrooms without repercussion. Transgendered people have been using the restroom of their choosing for quite some time and most people are fine with that. The whole thing has been over politicized mostly by people who have not read the bill. The bill is a little heavy in areas because it addresses other issues that the state does not want addressed on the local municipality level but it does eliminate loopholes that were created by the first ordinance.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
Horrific republicans??? There have been some open minded folks just trying to have a decent conversation to understand the law and the other viewpoint and this is what you choose to Pick out and comment on labeling republicans and assuming they are horrible because they don't share your opinion.
I did a little research and this is the best explaination I found. By a horrible republican I guess you'd say but I never say "horrible democrat" ...go figure. Anyway, here is what I considered a decent explaination, read for yourself:
Without the law any man can go into a ladies restroom without consequence, not just transgender. This was forced by an ordinance in Charlotte that took away women's expectation of privacy while in a restroom. The bill in response addressed the loophole it created. It also provides that if someone is transgender they can change their sex on their birth certificate to the sex they identify with and use that restroom. If they can spend thousands on procedures to change their sex, I don't think it asks too much to change their sex on their birth certificate. It also only applies to public facilities such as schools etc. I have read the bill. I don't think it's purpose is to strip the rights of transgendered people away, but rather to help insure that men with bad intentions are not in ladies restrooms without repercussion. Transgendered people have been using the restroom of their choosing for quite some time and most people are fine with that. The whole thing has been over politicized mostly by people who have not read the bill. The bill is a little heavy in areas because it addresses other issues that the state does not want addressed on the local municipality level but it does eliminate loopholes that were created by the first ordinance.
So what ur saying is…everyone person has to get their birth certificate checked everytime before entering any restroom?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 PM

421 posts, read 574,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPetal View Post

Jesus. I didn't say transgenders would harm little girls. I said that predators would dress up or pretend to act like a transgender to gain access to the women's restrooms. Two totally different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area