Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 05:19 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You misunderstood me. Were on the same team here. I was responding to the post saying Worcester was better than Hartford to put the WooSox. Which Im against that statement.

I think it was a poor decision to keep the Red Sox’s AAA team in the Boston Area. Worcester is. It would have bwen wiser to move them to Hartford because a) marketing, you have a lot of “on the fence” fans. Could have picked up more red sox fans and helped out the red sox/yankee fan border. Think about.. thats more revenue there. B) Red Sox really represent most of New England and like.. its all in MA lol. C) Hartford is a much bigger area than Worcester area (even though its in the Boston CSA) with no pro sports teams. It could handle it. It also has better developed towns and suburbs. Its a more established city than Worcester.

Also BDL is right there

This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 07:32 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
How do you pick up red Sox fans? It isn't that hard to get to Worcester. Keep in mind Worcester had to pick up the tab for polar Park. Hartford doesn't have a dime for this and the state probably doesn't have the political or capital for a new stadium. Quite simply they are much better things for the state to fix.

The xl center renovations went from 250 million to 100 million and they dropped the number of seats by 25%.

https://www.theday.com/article/20210...RT01/210509769

Polar Park cost 160 million

https://www.golocalprov.com/business...city%20decline.

The feds have no interest and the stare and towns can't afford it. Let a private developer pay for the whole thing if it's to happen. Otherwise it's a waste

Old 08-17-2021, 08:56 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
How do you pick up red Sox fans? It isn't that hard to get to Worcester. Keep in mind Worcester had to pick up the tab for polar Park. Hartford doesn't have a dime for this and the state probably doesn't have the political or capital for a new stadium. Quite simply they are much better things for the state to fix.

The xl center renovations went from 250 million to 100 million and they dropped the number of seats by 25%.

The feds have no interest and the state and towns can't afford it. Let a private developer pay for the whole thing if it's to happen. Otherwise, it's a waste
Yeah, no I am totally aware of the other side of the argument... CT's unwillingness to string in business like this. Development is not a word commonly associated with Hartford. Maybe people there don't want it which is totally understandable because COL has stayed relatively inexpensive compared to its equivalents.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:28 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
I think the owners of BOTH the Boston and Worcester Red Sox will rue the day they moved out and abandoned the second largest metro area population of New England. Metro Providence has over 1.6M residents as it includes SE Mass. There is ill will in RI against the WooSox ownership and Rhode Islanders are notorious for not wanting to drive too far for anything. They will not continue to support the AAA team in Worcester in large numbers. The PawSox used to draw exceedingly well under the old ownership of Ben Mondor. They led the International League in attendance many times often drawing in excess of 600K per year. Their best year at the gate was in 2005 when they drew over 688k for an average of 9,561 for a 70 game home schedule that starts in mid April. They even once drew an overflow crowd of 11,982 which included standing room and grass berm seating.

The Pawsox were extensively covered by several daily newspapers in RI and nearby SE Mass and there were always game highlights and scores on the Providence tv station newscasts (which has its own NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox affiliates). The Red Sox brand will get far less local attention in RI going forward with no close association. This spills over to the Boston parent team.

Worcester is a far smaller (vs Providence) metro with less than 900k. Only one community (Shrewsbury) that borders it has a population above 20k. The city has no traditional tv stations as it relies on Boston. The Boston media will give little coverage, if any, to the AAA team in Worcester. The lack of many print and tv media options will hurt the team as it did other failed minor league teams in Worcester. The city is on its third minor league hockey team in 25 years. Both of its AHL teams left and one cited the lack of local media coverage as a contributing factor on relocating. The WooSox will likely draw well in their first years as people will want to experience the team and park. The affiliation with the Boston Red Sox will be a big advantage. I however predict that interest and attendance will see a steady drop off after the first several years (up to five) as the novelty wears off. It seems that new ownership built Polar Park with this in mind. It will physically be impossible to beat the PawSox best attendance years as the Worcester stadium capacity will prevent it. Polar Park, the most expensive minor league park ever built to date, only has a total maximum capacity of 9,508. This includes grass berm seating and standing room. The park in fact has a permanent fixed seating capacity thousands lower than capacity. It is thought that it may not even have 7,000 seats. The park was specifically built with many open congregating areas for fans to stand and be near concessions which they hope to make far more money on. It seems that ownership concedes that a smaller Worcester market and declining interest in baseball will result in lower future attendance numbers and has looked to maximize revenues in other ways (concessions, ownership of nearby businesses, etc...) outside just the ticket gate receipts.

Last edited by MMS02760; 08-17-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 10:10 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
I've been to the paw sox and they've done a good game. At the same point though the cape cod leagues are free. Of course Worcester doesn't have it's own tv stations but most sports have moved to cable platforms and satellite radio. Lack of print? Depends really. Masslive/Springfield Republican already covers western mass including Worcester as that's where their second headquarters is. Masslive and Boston Globe are the largest news media outlets online about Massachusetts. As for AHL the Falcons left springfield and literally a month or so later the Thunderbirds came down from Maine. Ironic since Buddy Cianci actually brought the AHL down from Maine to RI long ago. Teams can move and have for decades if not generations. Heck Boston had two baseball teams back in the day but the Braves never moved back. I grew up in SE mass and frankly I went to one game. It wasn't a bad stadium but frankly it's more of a casual date night or outing for a family. due to the number of championships over the past 20 years ticket prices have gone up significantly to say the least. Many just opt out of sports. I recall when we lost all the time but it changed. It's almost like we became what we hated. The other issue with sports stadiums is frankly they stay empty for quite a long period of time. Multiuse is more expensive but more of the way to go. I'm not against seasonal events as long as there's something for every season.

The other aspect you have to remember is that there was a push to pretty much end RI affiliate coverage on cable platforms in Mass. The digital switchover also eliminated radio coverage of abc6, I remember when that happened because for quite some time it was easy to receive.

If CT wants to pluck something out of RI I'd still recommend Hasbro. There's a historical legacy of making games in the Hartford region (Coleco, Parker Bros, Milton Bradley etc). I would argue that people could say they remember great uncles and aunts working in the toy industry. If you must court a sport try to get the new england revolution to move to Hartford. If Kraft wants a new stadium and can pay for it himself let him. Then again could it be possible for MLS to have games inside of DDP? Well the seating would be far less. Could you make the XL center have a retractable roof? Does MLS allow for domed play?

Old 08-17-2021, 10:43 AM

837 posts, read 856,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
They can knock down the XL Center and build a brand new Bills NFL stadium in it's place. It's a prime location.
Not gonna happen! The Whalers have a better chance at coming back than an NFL team playing in CT again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I agree with you on the Big 4. Whalers were our last team. We are not on any Big 4 leagues radar for relocating teams or possible new franchises. The short list each maintains when expecting relos or new teams is the first step to getting a team.
The fact of the matter is that Hartford, and CT fro that matter is a small market and being wedged between Bosotn and NYC doesn't help Hartford or CT get a franchise for the NFL, NBA, or MLB. As for the NHL, I personally feel the NHL dropped the ball on allowing Hartford to move to Carolina, especially considering that from 1972 to 1997, despite not having a consistent contender during their 25-year existence, the Whalers were supported statewide until Karmanos became the owner, screwed the 10-20-30 ticket package plan, and the rest is history.

Carolina is now struggling with attendance and ratings since Charlotte is the main city in the Carolinas, not Raleigh, and sports fans care more about basketball and football from the collegiate and professional ranks than pro ice hockey, plus Charlotte is more centralized within the Carolinas while Raleigh is in the NE corner of NC. Also, having Bettman as NHL commissioner doesn't help the sport, as there's been little to no enthusiasm for the sport since the mid-2000s.

Quote:
Wasn't there a horse years ago to get more soccer in the area maybe like a different League. I would have thought that the number of Latin Americans would tend to make me think that there'd be a higher attendance for soccer in the region. I would love to see some type of soccer bar open up
The Hartford area has one of the largest populations of Puerto Ricans anywhere in America outside of Puerto Rico, and Puerto Ricans don't really watch or follow soccer the way that South Americans follow soccer. A soccer team would be nice, and I do believe that Hartford does have a professional soccer team, albeit not in the MLS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Athletic). Either way, the largest Latino group in Hartford and CT are Puerto Ricans, and baseball is king in the Caribbean, while basketball is second. Soccer just isn't a major sport in the Spanish Caribbean the way it is in South America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
no. won't happen.

If the Pats didn't want Hartford, The Bills will not move there.

For now, CT is still Patriots territory. I would love Hartford to get their own team. But will it happen? No.
Don't forget the Giants! They played in the Yale Bowl from 1973-74.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Not gonna happen! The Whalers have a better chance at coming back than an NFL team playing in CT again!

The fact of the matter is that Hartford, and CT fro that matter is a small market and being wedged between Bosotn and NYC doesn't help Hartford or CT get a franchise for the NFL, NBA, or MLB. As for the NHL, I personally feel the NHL dropped the ball on allowing Hartford to move to Carolina, especially considering that from 1972 to 1997, despite not having a consistent contender during their 25-year existence, the Whalers were supported statewide until Karmanos became the owner, screwed the 10-20-30 ticket package plan, and the rest is history.

Carolina is now struggling with attendance and ratings since Charlotte is the main city in the Carolinas, not Raleigh, and sports fans care more about basketball and football from the collegiate and professional ranks than pro ice hockey, plus Charlotte is more centralized within the Carolinas while Raleigh is in the NE corner of NC. Also, having Bettman as NHL commissioner doesn't help the sport, as there's been little to no enthusiasm for the sport since the mid-2000s.

The Hartford area has one of the largest populations of Puerto Ricans anywhere in America outside of Puerto Rico, and Puerto Ricans don't really watch or follow soccer the way that South Americans follow soccer. A soccer team would be nice, and I do believe that Hartford does have a professional soccer team, albeit not in the MLS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Athletic). Either way, the largest Latino group in Hartford and CT are Puerto Ricans, and baseball is king in the Caribbean, while basketball is second. Soccer just isn't a major sport in the Spanish Caribbean the way it is in South America.

Don't forget the Giants! They played in the Yale Bowl from 1973-74.
Giants/Pats i meant. But i meant Pats for Hartford, i know i poorly worded that lol

Old 08-17-2021, 05:01 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:

The feds have no interest and the stare and towns can't afford it. Let a private developer pay for the whole thing if it's to happen. Otherwise it's a waste
The line between Red Sox and Yankee territory lies somewhere just south of Hartforc. By putting the Red Sox minor league team in Hartford, in theory, could push that line further south, likely all the way to Fairfield County.

Hartford did not have the money for Dunkin Donuts Park and yet that got built without state funds. The state refused to get involved because Hartford was building the stadium to steal the New Britain Rock Cats who were talking to Springfield. I’m sure the state would not have had a problem stealing the Paw Sox from a Rhode Island. The state created the Capital Region Development Authority for this very purpose. If Hartford hadn’t put it’s all into the Yardgoats p, I’m sure Connecticut would have been right there with a comparable offer. It’s the Red Sox lose IMHO. Jay

Old 08-17-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The line between Red Sox and Yankee territory lies somewhere just south of Hartforc. By putting the Red Sox minor league team in Hartford, in theory, could push that line further south, likely all the way to Fairfield County.

Hartford did not have the money for Dunkin Donuts Park and yet that got built without state funds. The state refused to get involved because Hartford was building the stadium to steal the New Britain Rock Cats who were talking to Springfield. I’m sure the state would not have had a problem stealing the Paw Sox from a Rhode Island. The state created the Capital Region Development Authority for this very purpose. If Hartford hadn’t put it’s all into the Yardgoats p, I’m sure Connecticut would have been right there with a comparable offer. It’s the Red Sox lose IMHO. Jay
Yeah this. But Hartford and CT didn't put an offer to move them there.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:43 PM

987 posts, read 601,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The line between Red Sox and Yankee territory lies somewhere just south of Hartford.
Actually, to check this claim, I used the same strategy with Facebook likes to see where that line is. Hartford is the line with Wethersfield being pro Yankees and Windsor being pro Sox. Oddly enough... it's West Hartford that's pro Sox and East Hartford that's pro Yankees (although Manchester is obviously pro Sox again and so is any town closer to Boston).

That actually happens more than you think - many of the more urban (and poorer) towns have more NY fans than their immediate surroundings due to more NY influx despite sometimes being further from NYC.

Perfect example:

Fairfield: Sox 3700 likes, Yanks 7600 likes (Yanks outnumber Sox 2.05 to 1)

BPT: Sox 4200 likes, Yanks 11000 likes (Yanks outnumber Sox 2.62 to 1)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut