Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCT81 View Post
Nice summary of the planned projects in Stamford.

#21 I had wondered what was going in the vacant St John's tower.

Current Developments | City of Stamford Economic Development
Good to see. That building is an eyesore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 PM

4,450 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:

As a former resident of Stamford all I can say is WOW!

Old 12-12-2017, 09:16 AM

17 posts, read 30,250 times
Quote:

I hope all of this happens. Especially #21, that would be a huge improvement!

Old 12-12-2017, 09:44 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
As a former resident of Stamford all I can say is WOW!
Stamford is most happening city in state then New Haven alot of projects going on in Stamford

Last edited by BPt111; 12-12-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 AM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Does anyone know what percentage of the 57 projects going on in Stamford is Office space?

Although I'm not in favor of any developments, I'd rather have more office/retail space than live in apartments.

When people apply and come to work in Stamford they will need a place to live so essentially in the future existing home values will go up faster in Fairfield county then other areas...

I also do not favor new homes being built. Let the demand for existing homes go up.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM

59 posts, read 72,831 times
I believe the majority of the pending projects are residential. There is already a glut of office space in Stamford, with a high vacancy rate. What office space is being developed is fit for purpose (eg Charter’s new headquarters) vs spec. Residential, on the other hand, has a low vacancy rate even as BLT and others have built out many apartments. A lot of it is folks who commute to the city via metro north railroad. The building boom is very good for the city (indirectly via higher property tax revenues and directly via infrastructure improvements the developers kick in, like BLT adding a turn lane to Southfield Ave at Selleck St or the Baypointe developers kicking in a new boardwalk and cash for the nearby Boccuzzi Park renovations). It’s also good for state revenue via income taxes. The development is what has made Stamford the bright spot in an otherwise dismal Connecticut economy. It always strikes me that the anti-development contingent in Stamford is trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

So a long answer. You sound like a homeowner or landlord. Making Stamford a more desirable place to live, and more fiscally stable, could benefit your home value more than enough to offset the increase in supply. Especially as those millenials have kids and decide they want a house instead of an apartment. Plus, think of all the extra people who will get to live in and enjoy the city in a new apartment, versus paying exorbitant rent in NYC or Greenwich.

Last edited by StamfordRez; 12-12-2017 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-12-2017, 05:45 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I noticed that at the intersection of West Broad Street and Hubbard Avenue (right where there's an entrance/exit to The Stamford Hospital parking lot) new traffic lights were installed (though they are not working yet.) I remember that intersection originally had traffic lights, then a storm knocked them down (I think it was Hurricane Sandy), and the city thought it would be 'nice' to put stop signs instead of replacing the traffic lights. I always thought that was a mistake and I'm glad traffic lights will once again be the law of the land on that intersection.

Another intersection where the city should consider installing traffic lights is on the other end of Hubbard Avenue, where it meets Bridge Street. During much of the day its an OK intersection, but during rush hours it can get somewhat dangerous to make left turns from Hubbard Avenue unto to Bridge Street. The single lane heading north splits at the end into two, one lane for turning right and the other for turning left. The corners are somewhat blind, so its required to slowly jut into the intersection before noticing if the coast is clear for the turn. Sometimes its simply dangerous to make a left turn given that its hard to see on coming traffic from the left and on the right its often blocked by vehicles waiting to turn right (SUV's are the worst because they completely block your view of the traffic coming from the right.) Long story short, that intersection needs traffic lights.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-12-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I noticed that at the intersection of West Broad Street and Hubbard Avenue (right where there's an entrance/exit to The Stamford Hospital parking lot) new traffic lights were installed (though they are not working yet.) I remember that intersection originally had traffic lights, then a storm knocked them down (I think it was Hurricane Sandy), and the city thought it would be 'nice' to put stop signs instead of replacing the traffic lights. I always thought that was a mistake and I'm glad traffic lights will once again be the law of the land on that intersection.

Another intersection where the city should consider installing traffic lights is on the other end of Hubbard Avenue, where it meets Bridge Street. During much of the day its an OK intersection, but during rush hours it can get somewhat dangerous to make left turns from Hubbard Avenue unto to Bridge Street. The single lane heading north splits at the end into two, one lane for turning right and the other for turning left. The corners are somewhat blind, so its required to slowly jut into the intersection before noticing if the coast is clear for the turn. Sometimes its simply dangerous to make a left turn given that its hard to see on coming traffic from the left and on the right its often blocked by vehicles waiting to turn right (SUV's are the worst because they completely block your view of the traffic coming from the right.) Long story short, that intersection needs traffic lights.
So you know, in the State of Connecticut, in order for a city or town to install a traffic signal the intersection must meet established criteria, called warrants. That means there must be a Certain amount of traffic at the intersection before a signal can be considered. Stamford has a very well regarded traffic department. I suggest you contact them to discuss this. Jay

Old 12-19-2017, 03:08 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
It looks like a California investment firm is now the full owner of the former UBS headquarters. The firm had purchased the building's mortgage several months back and now has secure the entire property as well. This should make it a lot easier for them to re-tenant the property. Jay

Former Stamford UBS site sells for $33 million - Connecticut Post

Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 PM

222 posts, read 348,127 times
@Jay If they don't get a tenant, would you think a convention center would work in the building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut