Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
When we order at the speaker box from our vehicle, it gives the staff time to prepare and bag our meal. It's ready and waiting for us when we approach the window. This is how things operate - smoothly.

When someone doesn't order at the speaker box, but instead orders at the window, everything is now out of order. Everybody in line behind her has to wait while staff scrambles to fill her unexpected order. It interrupts the flow of business. It causes time delays and confusion, and makes customers wait. This isn't what the drive-through is about.

Being deaf doesn't give anyone special rights.
It seems to you, that at 4 a.m., a long line of inconvenienced customers would be an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:36 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It delays the line if someone places their order at the checkout window instead of the speaker box. "There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in placing the order at the box or at the window"
If it takes you a few minutes longer to get your McChicken or whatever so that a hearing impaired person can order at the window.. So be it.

of course.. We're talking fast food drive thru's here.. Short of Chick-Fil-A, who have it down to a science.. Whoever said "You order at the speaker and it's ready at the window" is either going to Chick-Fil-A or hasn't been in a fast food drive thru in many a year.

What generally happens is you order, wait 5 minutes for the guy with a $60 order to get his food, sit there for 2 minutes going through it to make sure it's right, then when you get to the window, get told to pull up to wait. That's why I don't go to drive thrus unless absolutely necessary. Cue Joe Pesci.

and, that's the other thing that happens all the time now.. They pull up to order at the window, if there's people behind them, tell the person to pull up and they'll bring it out.

So.. Your argument so far as it screwing up the timing is totally irrelevant. The timing sucks for the most part regardless and they had a way to deal with it otherwise.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If it takes you a few minutes longer to get your McChicken or whatever so that a hearing impaired person can order at the window.. So be it.

of course.. We're talking fast food drive thru's here.. Short of Chick-Fil-A, who have it down to a science.. Whoever said "You order at the speaker and it's ready at the window" is either going to Chick-Fil-A or hasn't been in a fast food drive thru in many a year.

What generally happens is you order, wait 5 minutes for the guy with a $60 order to get his food, sit there for 2 minutes going through it to make sure it's right, then when you get to the window, get told to pull up to wait. That's why I don't go to drive thrus unless absolutely necessary. Cue Joe Pesci.

and, that's the other thing that happens all the time now.. They pull up to order at the window, if there's people behind them, tell the person to pull up and they'll bring it out.

So.. Your argument so far as it screwing up the timing is totally irrelevant. The timing sucks for the most part regardless and they had a way to deal with it otherwise.
LOL. i like how you decided not to acknowledge the capable son... LOL.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
She should be able to order her own food, and in fact, she was completely capable.

And the guy who refused to sell her a #8 even though he knew that's what she wanted is now out of a job, and hopefully a little wiser in the ways of the world.

And next time she goes up to a sales counter and clearly states what she wants, I bet she'll get service. As she should have.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:37 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
but.. You cannot refuse to provide service to someone who is disabled. You must make reasonable accommodations. And it certainly is a reasonable accommodation to allow them to order at the window at 4am.

And, from what I can tell.. That would be JitB policy. Whether it was 4am or not. This one employee apparently got upset about it.

I mean, if you owned a business, you don't want to be in the habit of turning people away. That's not good business.

we had a restaurant down here in SC that tossed a guy with a dog out. The dog was a legit service animal. The business was a Mennonite restaurant. I don't excuse them for doing it, but I do at least have some understanding that they might not have understood the complexities of the law in that situation. Mennonites aren't Amish, but they're not THAT far away, either. Everyone worked everything out.. Guy wasn't upset and suing and the restaurant invited him back for a free meal as an apology.
We've heard only one piece - one side - of the story. How many times has the news media put forth a small segment of video and kept the real story on the cutting room floor? MSM wishes only to dictate to an opinion to us. I refuse to be lead by them or by anyone who pushes only their side of the story on me.

Show us the entire video! I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it all AND heard from the employee. I would expect everyone else to do the same. Wouldn't you?

Old 09-10-2019, 04:42 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The employee behaved very badly, no doubt about it, but who knows what the woman had said/done to get under his skin before the video started rolling. I'm sure I'd be beyond unpleasant after two hours with this nut job. I have no doubt that this was a set-up designed to get a big pay-out, and that disgusts me.
This pretty much summarizes my feelings about this. I'm sure that the video didn't start rolling until the employee had been sufficiently baited to make him lose his cool. The purpose of the video is to cash in, and I'm sure that anything that would have shown any culpability on the part of the customer or her son took place before the recording started.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:44 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Quote:
of course.. We're talking fast food drive thru's here.. Short of Chick-Fil-A, who have it down to a science.
Chick-Fil-A recently opened in my area. I hadn't been to one in years, and the ones that I had been to were in malls, so I hadn't experienced their drive-through. It was extremely crowded on the day when I went (Labor Day), yet the line moved along very quickly. The efficiency of the whole operation was amazing.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:

He's irrelevant. Whether he is there or not makes no difference. Say he hadn't been. they could pull up. Maybe the person would have felt insulted having their son help them.. Whatever.. Since he is not relevant, no need to mention him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
This pretty much summarizes my feelings about this. I'm sure that the video didn't start rolling until the employee had been sufficiently baited to make him lose his cool. The purpose of the video is to cash in, and I'm sure that anything that would have shown any culpability on the part of the customer or her son took place before the recording started.

Regardless. Employee shouldn't have taken the bait. So, that's on him.

Remember the video a few years back of the Chick-Fil-A employee at the drive thru? Where the guy kept baiting her and harassing her.. then posted the video to Youtube thinking he was about to be the social justice hero.. And was promptly fired from his job, lost his house and last I checked STILL couldn't get a job because of his actions?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/outintheope...self-1.4596546

So, that seems to be an update on him as of 2018. I don't necessarily agree with the level at which he was kicked around.. Did he deserve to be kicked around? Oh, after a quote like this..

Quote:
And then it became back to what I was taught, which is 'Hey, I'm better than you, I'm smarter than you, I'm on the right side.
yeah.. Absolutely. But that actually probably did go on a little too long. After a year or so.. Most people forgot about him, so.. Not being able to find a job for that long.. Tad excessive.

but, you know.. You shoot the Pope, don't expect to be welcome at church..

Oh, the point there was that Chick-Fil-A person handled it perfectly.. In so much as everything turned around on Mr Justice there. Had the employee taken the bait.. Very different story.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:00 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
We've heard only one piece - one side - of the story. How many times has the news media put forth a small segment of video and kept the real story on the cutting room floor? MSM wishes only to dictate to an opinion to us. I refuse to be lead by them or by anyone who pushes only their side of the story on me.

Show us the entire video! I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it all AND heard from the employee. I would expect everyone else to do the same. Wouldn't you?
The son took a two hour video. Who’s going to watch all that?

Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

but who knows what the woman had said/done to get under his skin before the video started rolling. .

Doesn't matter what she said or did. A properly trained customer service rep, no matter in what industry, has an obligation to DE-escalate the exchange, not add more fuel to it by being a jerk in their own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events