Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann726 View Post
Hello again everybody. Although I have followed this thread since it was only a few pages, I only joined in Dec. to post about the advantages of having a crawl space instead of a slab. That was Dec. 21. I had no idea it was so long ago - how time flies.

However, you all are really great - particularly Charlie - in listing all the pluses and minuses of each. So, about a month ago I decided to go look at Champions Club since it seemed to have everything I wanted, and the people here only had good things to say about it. I went back the next week with a friend who also liked it, picked out a lot, and gave a deposit. The following week I took a couple more friends to see it, who also thought it would be great for me.

So, as of last Friday, I am the official, albeit contingent, buyer of lot 40 in Champions Club. I am very excited and hope to meet all of you soon. And I am immensely grateful for all the information everyone has shared - even if it did take me a long time to actually join so that I could post.

P.S. I definitely did get a crawl space.
Hi Ann726 and welcome to the forum, to DE and Magnolia. Lots of useful information here and lots of nice folks you'll get to meet. Congrats on your decision and best of luck with your plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann726 View Post
Hello again everybody. Although I have followed this thread since it was only a few pages, I only joined in Dec. to post about the advantages of having a crawl space instead of a slab. That was Dec. 21. I had no idea it was so long ago - how time flies.

I originally found city-data because I was interested in looking at Delaware to retire, and Nobles Pond was the only one I knew (since they advertise in the Baltimore papers). Driving to see it, I passed Spring Meadows and so looked at it too. I thought surely there were more and then found this site. I copied names, addresses, etc of various sites, but never got around to checking out more.

However, you all are really great - particularly Charlie - in listing all the pluses and minuses of each. So, about a month ago I decided to go look at Champions Club since it seemed to have everything I wanted, and the people here only had good things to say about it. I went back the next week with a friend who also liked it, picked out a lot, and gave a deposit. The following week I took a couple more friends to see it, who also thought it would be great for me.

So, as of last Friday, I am the official, albeit contingent, buyer of lot 40 in Champions Club. I am very excited and hope to meet all of you soon. And I am immensely grateful for all the information everyone has shared - even if it did take me a long time to actually join so that I could post.

P.S. I definitely did get a crawl space.
Hi Ann......I too am very happy for you. It's always exciting news when a person has found their perfect retiement home and ready to start the best part of their lives
I don't live there but I do know theres a load of really good people moving in and some have already moved in.........which is a big plus!!!!.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 AM

560 posts, read 916,100 times
I love it that ya'll are finding your dream homes. Champion's Club has indeed become quite a popular place. It truly is a great community with lovely homes...you'll love it there.

We got good news from Roesville today. Two more lots have been reserved in addition to the 3 contracts that are scheduled to be signed this coming week...one will be our next door neighbors.

It seems Delaware is fast becoming THE place to retire. Seasonal weather; close (but not too close) to the important major cities (I love Philly) and cultural centers; not to mention the tax breaks; all contribute to the attractiveness of the state. Plus, from what I've read here, very good neighbors!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 AM

144 posts, read 361,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I love it that ya'll are finding your dream homes. Champion's Club has indeed become quite a popular place. It truly is a great community with lovely homes...you'll love it there.

We got good news from Roesville today. Two more lots have been reserved in addition to the 3 contracts that are scheduled to be signed this coming week...one will be our next door neighbors.

It seems Delaware is fast becoming THE place to retire. Seasonal weather; close (but not too close) to the important major cities (I love Philly) and cultural centers; not to mention the tax breaks; all contribute to the attractiveness of the state. Plus, from what I've read here, very good neighbors!
Hi, Goin'2DE, It sure is, wonderful how everyone is finding there home and community for retirement, and yes I agree DE is drawing numerous retired folks. We will be going back to visit Roesville, CC and Spring Arbor in mid July. Roesville sure has nice model homes to choose from and it has a nice country feel. I will continue to look for your posts regarding your progress.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM

It's so nice to see everyone finding their niche'. We are all different but there is a home and community that fits each one of us like a glove.
Important thing is.......be happy!!

De is the place to be!!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 13,214 times
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

So to answer the questions re what and why I'm buying, here goes. From experience I've learned that all I need (and live in) is a great room, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and I'd like a garage. I absolutely do not want a lot of space or rooms. I first visited Nobles Pond (they advertise in the Baltimore paper), and on the way found Spring Meadows, so I saw that also. The land lease at Nobles Pond was the deciding factor against it. Spring Meadows was a total no.

Knowing there had to be more, I found this site, read everything, and copied down all the names and addresses, planning to go again to check out most of them. As time went by, I realized you all were doing my checking for me, and I could eliminate all but Champions Club. Actually, I had eliminated CC until they brought in the Americana series, because that's the space I want.

Debbie showed me a Savannah which I loved, probably because it had the wood floors and the same kitchen as mine now (white cabs and Everest Corian countertop). She also showed me a Charleston which was a quick sale property with w/w carpet and loud tile floor and countertop which I hated. I was all set to get the Savannah until I got home and started thinking about it.

I lived for 25 years in an 1840 3-story townhouse by the Inner Harbor.
It was easy living as I had had the yard landscaped and only had a couple of hours work every fall. And I loved being able to walk to Frederal Hill and the Inner Harbor. There was a neighborhood park behind which gave it a more open feel. However, I kept the 3rd floor closed off except for company, and only went in the basement a couple of times a year. I only walked through the LR and DR. I lived in my kitchen/family room and bedroom/bath area.

Eight years ago I moved to the county because I needed a first floor bedroom and bath for my mother. It was the first individual house in which I had lived, the rest being townhouses and apartments. The first thing I noticed was all the light and air. The second thing thing was that the yard work never ended. I have neighbors all around (some very noisy). Now that I'm alone, I'm still living in just three areas.

The Savannah was lovely, but it was oriented toward the rear, as I would keep the 2nd bedroom for company and not use it on a daily basis. Thus I decided the Charleston would be perfect for me - everything right together and minimal hallways, etc. And I would have light and air from 3 sides all the time. The 4th (west) side was the guest room and garage, so as to avoid the hot afternoon sun in the summer. And of course, they do all the yard work.

I liked having open land behind, so lot #40 opens to the old pitch and putt golf course in the rear. It hadn't been released yet, but Ed said he had a deposit on #38 and felt sure they would open #40 also, with a deposit, which they did. And it's also just a short walk to the clubhouse.

In case anyone doesn't know, left and right garage lots are pre-determined (by underground utilities), and they alternate. Lot 40 is a left garage.

The Classic series are built on a crawl space,while the Americana are on a slab. But they will do a crawl space, which I want. The old area for the furnace and HWH they normally make into a large closet, but I'm having it split - half for brooms, vacuum cleaners, etc. and half for linens (since the Charleston only has one very small linen closet). The only other change (so far) is I'm rearranging the kitchen to put the oven/stove on the outside wall so it can be vented outside, rather than through the microwave. Ed (and McKee) are really easy and agreeable to deal with. I'ts really nice that the houses are stick built so it's not too difficult to make changes, and they're so willing to do so.

The one thing I really want is a porch swing. The Charleston has a wider section of the porch that would be perfect for a swing. Ed checked and they won't provide a swing. However, they will install the side and top supports, including the hooks, so that I can pick out the swing I want and just hang it on the hooks they provide.

All of this is contingent on my selling my house. I'm about a year ahead of schedule - I had thought to do all the outside work this summer, and the first of the year start the inside work, with the idea of listing it sometime in April. However, now I need to get it listed right after July 4, so it may be a struggle. The furniture is at the upholsterers, the rugs at the cleaners, and the painters started today. They plan to work 7 days a week until they finish (3-4 weeks). And they're also doing the outside painting work. I'm not sure how I'll get through this.

The morning paper said that contracts written in May were off 50% from last year - everything slowed down after the tax incentive expired. But I'm hopeful. My neighborhood is quite popular and has good schools, and the interest rates are still good. So maybe it'll sell fairly quickly. If so, I don't quite know where I will go.

If this post is a little ragged, please forgive me. I wrote a really long one this morning, previewed it, and then promptly lost it. So I'm just sending this one through and hope it's not indecipherable.

Charley - thanks for your very kind note and particularly for not mentioning my misspelling of your name - I'll get it right from now on.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 AM

35 posts, read 102,539 times
Default Response to TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thank goodness View Post
My husband and I became grandparents today at 3:11 AM - it's our first and a girl! Both of our sons live in Columbia, Md. and we are retired and have our house up for sale. We have very good friends in Southern NJ and are looking at Four Seasons in Smithville. We have made two trips there and would be buying a resale. I have been so intrigued by your forum, that I keep returning. I was heartbroken to hear about the passing of CWTR's husband. I hope she is settling in easily and that she finds much peace. Your condolences, as I said, really touched my heart. Delaware would be closer to our sons, so we'll see.
TG,

Congrats on the grandbaby!

We made the difficult decision (from a financial position because of taxes) to move from southern Maryland to Southern NJ instead of Champion's Club in DE. To meet family care needs, we just needed to be nearer the Philadelphia area. Four Seasons Smithville is a nice community, but you might also want to consider Four Seasons Weatherby in Woolwich where we settled.

There are more than 25 homes under construction at this time and only a couple are spec homes, so all the rest are under contract. In this economy, that says a lot for a community. If you choose to look at Four Seasons Millville, look with a huge grain of salt. I checked satellite photos for each of the areas we considered and there was clearly a racetrack near the Millville community. We went to look at the homes and the sales rep did admit you can hear the cars and the crowd when they have race weekends.

FS Weatherby has a very few resale homes (the one next to our home just sold in less than 90 days) and a couple of spec homes. I don't work for the builder nor am I a Realtor -- just passing along information.

Good luck!

Frank

Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityWriter View Post
TG,

Congrats on the grandbaby!

We made the difficult decision (from a financial position because of taxes) to move from southern Maryland to Southern NJ instead of Champion's Club in DE. To meet family care needs, we just needed to be nearer the Philadelphia area. Four Seasons Smithville is a nice community, but you might also want to consider Four Seasons Weatherby in Woolwich where we settled.

There are more than 25 homes under construction at this time and only a couple are spec homes, so all the rest are under contract. In this economy, that says a lot for a community. If you choose to look at Four Seasons Millville, look with a huge grain of salt. I checked satellite photos for each of the areas we considered and there was clearly a racetrack near the Millville community. We went to look at the homes and the sales rep did admit you can hear the cars and the crowd when they have race weekends.

FS Weatherby has a very few resale homes (the one next to our home just sold in less than 90 days) and a couple of spec homes. I don't work for the builder nor am I a Realtor -- just passing along information.

Good luck!

Frank
wonderful...........another person has decided. I'm sure this forum has been a big help to a lot of posters in deciding. We are the deciders. LOL!!

Anyway.........secret is to know what you want and what you can afford then go for it after much research for the best place.

congrats Thank Goodness on a bundle of joy. Thats really wonderful.
Our two grands have been a double bundle of joy.

BTW.......frank..........Didn't I see you post on the Florida forum about a year ago saying you lived in Florida?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 PM

12 posts, read 23,516 times
Smile To Serenity Writer

Thank you for the congrats on our new granddaughter. We are going to Md. this Wed. to see her and the new parents. That will be me crying on the driveway as we have to say goodbye and head home to CT. After all of these months, yours was the first post related to Four Seasons. I know this is a Delaware forum, but could you tell me if you are happy with your place? We will probably be going to NJ in September. Thanks,TG

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 PM

124 posts, read 264,227 times
Day 5 of movin' in to CC! I'm past exhausted and I feel every bone in my body. I'm very pleased with my new little house and McKee. If you're in the neigborhood, please stop by. I'm anxious to show it off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware