Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We just live near 19 Mile because it is a closer commute for my husband's job.
He just couldn't handle the extra three miles? Are you sure it doesn't have more to do with the "obviously many factors"?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:17 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times
Quote:
He just couldn't handle the extra three miles? Are you sure it doesn't have more to do with the "obviously many factors"?
Excuse me, but previously we lived in the Milford area which is a hell commute to N. Oakland county in rush hours. We moved to Utica because it's closer to his work and it had the ammenities and lower taxes and other things we were looking for. There weren't many houses for sale in 2000 in the winter when we were in the market, but we found the perfect house for us.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "obviously many factors"? Hmm...

I myself don't like to judge others where they decide to live. It's a highly personal issue, IMHO.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, but previously we lived in the Milford area which is a hell commute to N. Oakland county in rush hours. We moved to Utica because it's closer to his work and it had the ammenities and lower taxes and other things we were looking for. There weren't many houses for sale in 2000 in the winter when we were in the market, but we found the perfect house for us.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "obviously many factors"? Hmm...

I myself don't like to judge others where they decide to live. It's a highly personal issue, IMHO.
You said you only live near 19 mile (as opposed to "near 16 mile"?) because it's closer to work. Why is 3 miles a big deal?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You said you only live near 19 mile (as opposed to "near 16 mile"?) because it's closer to work. Why is 3 miles a big deal?
3 Miles is not a big deal

I only said I lived near 19 mile as a matter of actual physical fact We were unattached to where we'd live, looking at houses from all over the Metro Detroit and Pontiac area. I was super unfamiliar with the areas "north of 16 mile" actually since, as I mentioned in my other posts, I lived in Livonia, Ann Arbor, and Milford for the early part of my life. I had my real estate agent help us find a house in our price range. At the time, we were younger and it was earlier in our careers, so Macomb County (Utica) was a perfect fit for us.

I really don't understand your line of questioning, so this is the last I'll speak of the matter.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
3 Miles is not a big deal........ so this is the last I'll speak of the matter.

Sounds like that sentiment should be the end of this particular discussion, so let's all move on to other areas of the topic, shall we?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Sounds like that sentiment should be the end of this particular discussion, so let's all move on to other areas of the topic, shall we?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *amen, hallelujah*

I was giggling the other day because I saw a garden sign that said, "Bloom where you are planted." Hee hee! I thought about it in terms of locations in Metro Detroit that I have enjoyed. I really enjoy the Metroparks, especially Kensington Metropark and Stony Creek Metropark There is such beauty throughout our state, some of it is north of 16 and some of it is south of 16

I also giggled 'cause some people I know consider Claire, Michigan to be the official start of "Up North" in Michigan. I always called Lexington, Michigan in the Thumb "Up North", even thought it's not technically Up North to some.

Also, some people consider Woodward Ave. to be the dividing line between the "West Side" and "East Side" of Metro Detroit. When I moved to Utica, my family asked me how I liked living on the "East Side" which really perplexed me.

And, upon further examination, I realized in the next year or so, I'll be living waaaay south of 16 mile...in Southern California.

Hee heee!!!!!!!!!!!! *apologies in advance for my sillyness*

Old 06-25-2007, 09:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *amen, hallelujah*

I was giggling the other day because I saw a garden sign that said, "Bloom where you are planted." Hee hee! I thought about it in terms of locations in Metro Detroit that I have enjoyed. I really enjoy the Metroparks, especially Kensington Metropark and Stony Creek Metropark There is such beauty throughout our state, some of it is north of 16 and some of it is south of 16

I also giggled 'cause some people I know consider Claire, Michigan to be the official start of "Up North" in Michigan. I always called Lexington, Michigan in the Thumb "Up North", even thought it's not technically Up North to some.

Also, some people consider Woodward Ave. to be the dividing line between the "West Side" and "East Side" of Metro Detroit. When I moved to Utica, my family asked me how I liked living on the "East Side" which really perplexed me.

And, upon further examination, I realized in the next year or so, I'll be living waaaay south of 16 mile...in Southern California.

Hee heee!!!!!!!!!!!! *apologies in advance for my sillyness*
Well, I'm glad to see my thread has calmed down!

Angel, I just moved to Michigan from So Cal last year, so let me know if you need any info or help.

Life is what you make it, no matter where you are.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-25-2007 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Well, I can say this and I probably would be right in line with my family. No, I know I'd be right in line with them. We don't mind if a black family moves into the neighborhood that takes care of their home, works, etc. But... we don't want them next door to us. They need to move down the street, on a different block, etc. I don't want them next door to me, I'd be afraid their mere presence would bring down my property value.

Would I care if a dumb kid moved into the school district? Not if they didn't disrupt my child's classroom. If they did then it would become an issue.
RWF. Did you really post this? If so, what do you mean by "But... we don't want them next door to us." You're kidding, right? This is taken out of context, right?

If being a racist means that I'm more comfortable around my own kind, then we need a new definition of racist. The word has lost it's sting. I'm a white person with freckles. I've lived around the burbs of LA back in the 70's. My best friend was black and I met him before I can remember. I was 1ish. I was WAY too young to be affected by prejudgice. It's my experience that racism or whatever you want to call it- is learned. Gary and I were best friends; but I've got to admit, as we grew older, we both started to learn our "differences". Now, they lived two doors down from us. If anything, we lowered their property value and their presence increased ours. That's a fact.

What do you mean about bringing down your property value? If you're saying this as a statistical fact, then back it up right now! Show me proof. If you are saying this out of ignorance, then shame on you. That's a hurtful statement and I can see how others on here got upset. They are calling you a racist. I think that's wrong in itself. Aren't we supposed to refrain from personal attacks on here?

Some people moved next door to us where we live now. I guess you could say they are black. You could even say they are African American. I don't know for sure. They sound American. They don't sound Jamaican. It doesn't really matter to me. They have one of the nicest homes on our block. They fenced in their whole property, that's about 1.2 acre with PVC fence. It's very classy. It must have cost a fortune. Their home is way bigger than ours. Oh, but our property value is going down because they are black? Racist or not, how is that statement not offensive to every race?

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-09-2007 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Plastic fences are "classy"?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:10 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Plastic fences are "classy"?
Well, they're very expensive. I like cedar myself, but after about a year they fade to gray, shrink up and blow away. Our neighbor to the east of us stained or painted his about three times and it looks great. He's retired and rich. Must be nice.

I can't say that I like that white pvc too much, but any fence is better than no fence. I say this because we'd like to get a dog or two and I refuse to do this until we can provide some shade and a nice area for them to roam around. Our neighbors to the south of us have this little dog kennel (I'd say about 15' by 15' with dirt and two partially covered dog houses. These three dogs live in that thing pretty much 24/7 and they bark. They are about 40' from our bedroom window. There's no shade for them unless they crawl into the dog houses within the kennel.

Yes, I'd say the PVC is classy, and for now- low maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit