Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times

Advertisements

My friend's dog had the bloody mucus when first diagnosed and it would sneeze blood on the walls, but all that stopped with the prednisone. That was 18 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Dave, I am so sorry to hear about Ben. Thanks for sharing his story here with all of us.Thanks for the photo too he is a cute dog. The border collies,aussies and heelers (and mixes of these) are my favorite dogs as they are just such wonderful dogs and develop such amazing bonds with their people. I hope time will heal that hole in your heart from the loss of Ben and that soon you will be smiling at the fond memories of him. Dashdog

Old 11-06-2008, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 25,926 times
I just found this site because I was searching about my dogs illness. Being that many of you are going through a similar thing I hope you can give me some insite on my dogs problem.

About 6 months ago I noticed the upper front teeth of my 11 year old mini schnauzer (Lacy) were separating. A month ago I noticed that her gums above the teeth were getting real puffy like there is fluid under there. Her nose area is also rising like something underneath is pushing it up. That also raises her upper lip so her teeth are exposed.Two of her front teeth have darkened and are loosening. She gets her teeth brushed and she also had her teeth cleaned by the vet this summer.

The vet took a fluid sample and had it checked. They are not sure, but they think it might be cancer. She has plenty of pep and doesn't seem to have pain even in her nose. She does minor sneezes more and lickes her front teeth more. There is no drainage yet.

I had to put my other schnauzer down 1.5 years ago and she was 16 years old. I've had dogs my whole life and this doesn't get any easyer.

Thank you for any input...

Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 AM

Her is one more thing. I just checked Lacy's roof of her mouth and felt a raised area.(growth, tumor?) It's in the center behind her front teeth.

Does this sound like a nasal tumor or oral tumor?

thank you for any help with this. L

Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinedog View Post
Her is one more thing. I just checked Lacy's roof of her mouth and felt a raised area.(growth, tumor?) It's in the center behind her front teeth.

Does this sound like a nasal tumor or oral tumor?

thank you for any help with this. L
Sounds like an oral tumor or a bone tumor. Did you have the vet look at it?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Yes woof, we just got her back from the vet. They sedated her and took a fluid sample with a needle. He then had another doc look at it and they think it's probably cancer. Without digging deep and getting a tissue sample, they won't know for sure what it is.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Pinedog,

So sorry to hear about Lacy. Did the vet rule out some sort of dental infection or even fungus? It could be either an oral tumor or a nasal tumor that is growing into the soft palate. I would lean toward oral because most dogs with nasal cancer seem to develop what is called a reverse sneeze and often that is what leads the owner to take them to the vet. I hope the vets can figure it out for you.

The neoplasene some of us are currently using can be used on nasal and oral cancers if you are interested in trying any type of treatment. The bottle of neoplasene I am using for Dash cost $40.00 and there are alot of treatments in it so it is ALOt cheaper then chemo or radiation.

I too have had dogs my whole life and you are correct it never does get easier but then again if they lived as long as I did I would have missed out on knowing some super dogs. I would not have wanted to miss out on knowing any of the dogs I have had as they are all so special in their own ways.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 AM

The vet did a blood test on Lacy and said it wasn't a infection. She is on a antibiotic now anyway. She was always bothered by allergies and we were always trying different things to keep her from itching. We had used the allergy shots and different drugs. We have a pretty good handle on her allergies after all these years but now I think this problem with her nose/mouth is going to be a tough one. It might be that "battle that can't be won".

I live in the country and she loves to go for a walk. She loves running after rabbits, squirrels, and gophers. She is always there to help me with the days tasks. We are best friends.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinedog View Post
The vet did a blood test on Lacy and said it wasn't a infection. She is on a antibiotic now anyway.
Vets will always put a dog on antibiotics as a way to rule things out. Antibiotics are cheap and harmless and I think they make the vets feel like, "Well, at least I'm doing something," and it gives the pet owner something to do, too. It's very difficult to watch another person or animal suffer. It's a feeling of utter helplessness. And I think that's why people often need to believe in something, like an herb or holistic medicine or whatever it is. They need to feel like there is something, something they can do to have some control over a situation. Something that will make a difference.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM

I want to step in here a moment and say please do not view antibiotics as harmless as they are far from harmless. Thirty years ago in college a biology Professer of mine did a talk about antibiotics and how he saw them as the disaster waiting to happen that could bring medicine down in a big way. He advised all of us to only take an antibiotic when we knew it was necessary and never take them for something like a virus as it would end up costing all living things big time in the future.

Well he is right as every night when I go to work I have to deal with the fall out of people taking antibiotics for every little sniffle or slight sign that something was wrong. Easliy 1/3 of the patients some nights even more I see I now have to wear a mask, gloves and cover gown to see. Why? Because they have resistant bugs or super bugs as some have called them. The antibiotics no longer work on these bugs and people are dying because of them . The ones that survive are in the hospital much much longer which is not good either.

Over use of Antibiotics in the past are now costing the health care industry probably billions of dollars at a time when health care is having such a difficult time surviving. So NO ANTIBIOTICS are not harmless so please do not use them on yourselves or animals unless they are necessary. I do believe the MRSA and VRSA that now exist in all human hospitals are also making themselves know in the vets office. Sad thing is there is no turning back now as now we have to deal with this fall out of over use of antibiotics.

On the good side Dash seems to be over his hump. He is now getting his neoplasene every 3 days and the snot ropes are rare today. Today he went on an hour long hike with Jazz and I .If you had met us you would not have known there was anything wrong with him. He still is being a fussy eater but seems to enjoy canned EVO mixed with homemade chicken both and is eating enough that I am able to give him his piroxicam again which is why I think he is feeling so much better. Hope everyone else is doing well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs