Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
My dad's best man at his wedding is a Mormon, and is a retired principal in Utah. He has told dad he votes demo locally and republican nationally, but didn't really explain the logic behind it. Makes sense to him though, so I take him at his word that it's what he thinks is best for Utah.
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind that thinking, either, but that's pretty much how it was with my parents. They most often voted Democratic in the local elections and Republican in the national elections.

Quote:
I read Mia Love's postions, and peg her at extreme far right...

I wouldn't have voted for Mia Love if presented with her name on my ballot.
You couldn't have paid me enough to vote for her. I don't do well with extremists on either end of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
What makes you think that us libertarians should necessarily vote for Republicans? Republicans laughed as Ron Paul walked away. I went Democrat, and I went big.

You can feel it.
I am a registered Republican who leans Libertarian. Romney was not my first pick for the GOP, but he was the pick. The Gary Johnson voters and the Ron Paul write-in voters gave us 4 more years of Obama and what a shame that Mia Love lost, as well. If you "went big" for Democrats, you are no Libertarian. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Ron Paul represents the libertarian wing of the Republican party basically. There used to be a liberal wing "Nelson Rockerfeller" type of republican, but they are despised as RINO's now.
Yeah my father's side of the family was totally in Rockefeller Republican camp since that side of the family had been Republican since the 1850s, it is just who we were. The GOP pretty much started driving them away with the Southern strategy. Now none of us are Republicans anymore.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the obsession with Mia Love who would've been behind the backbenchers in Congress.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM

185 posts, read 159,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
We Libertarians will vote our way with no mind given as to who it may help or not help. We only hurt the Republicans in this particular race. But, we are working to hurt both of the major parties. Your whining only pleases me.
Indeed, my thoughts exactly. I found it quite amusing how the GOP was taking down in last election cycle. My only regret is they didn't take the Dem's with them.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No amigo, libertarianism is about ideas, not letters. Ideas are what matter, not party, not race, gender, not even country.
You are incorrect. The LP most certainly is about protecting the sovereignty of our country and upholding the Constitution.

Quote:
3.1 National Defense

We support the maintenance of a sufficient military to defend the United States against aggression. The United States should both avoid entangling alliances and abandon its attempts to act as policeman for the world. We oppose any form of compulsory national service.

3.2 Internal Security and Individual Rights

The defense of the country requires that we have adequate intelligence to detect and to counter threats to domestic security. This requirement must not take priority over maintaining the civil liberties of our citizens. The Constitution and Bill of Rights shall not be suspended even during time of war. Intelligence agencies that legitimately seek to preserve the security of the nation must be subject to oversight and transparency. We oppose the government's use of secret classifications to keep from the public information that it should have, especially that which shows that the government has violated the law.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the obsession with Mia Love who would've been behind the backbenchers in Congress.
Obsession? Mia Love was a charismatic, young, Conservative, black female. I am not intimately familiar with her political qualifications but I know the mainstream media deliberately didn't run her speech during the Republican National Convention. When the MSM doesn't want the general public to see and hear someone, they ignore them. To me, that meant that Mia Love had a message that NEEDED to be heard. Let's not give someone like that a chance to serve our country.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
I wonder if people in her district were turned off by Love's national profile. In my state I've lived in 3 different districts (4 if consider my current one being renumber constituting a truly diferent House district) and one common trait is that people do not like it when a candidate seems more interested in advancing themselves or party than the state or disctrict. I've heard this countless times about Senator Graham, Governor Haley and several failed D congressional candidates.

Observer - you seemed confused on a couple of points.

The networks told both parties in advance what portions of their conventions would receive prime time covereage so it was the job of the RNC and the DNC to schedule their most effective advocates during those windows. Aside form SoS Rice the RNC did a woeful job of this- the worst decision being to show Eastwood during live coverage and show the Romney video history/introduction before the network coverage. That video was the most effective piece of campaign material from either side this year and it got wasted in pre network slot.

FWIW- Mia Love was shown on the cable news channels & then her speech was either written up or linked in various campaign news sections the next day. But depending on cable news to show a speech is iffy because those people love to hear themselves talk more than presenting live coverage.

Also they're weren't enough third party votes to throw this election either way- Obama is now at 51% and Romney at 47% with basically only contested votes still left. The only thing those 2% of non main paty voters could do is close the gap some. Obama also has fewer votes than in 2008. So people basically like Obama less than 4 years ago and like the R alternative even less than that. Maybe a higher voter turnout would have helped Love since that usually brings district results closer to their registration percentages.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Obsession? Mia Love was a charismatic, young, Conservative, black female. I am not intimately familiar with her political qualifications but I know the mainstream media deliberately didn't run her speech during the Republican National Convention. When the MSM doesn't want the general public to see and hear someone, they ignore them. To me, that meant that Mia Love had a message that NEEDED to be heard. Let's not give someone like that a chance to serve our country.
to me Mia in politics is like Michele Malkin in the broadcast world..She is charming, intelligent, young, conservative and yes, black..I wish we would see more like them...

Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because black Republican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
to me Mia in politics is like Michele Malkin in the broadcast world..She is charming, intelligent, young, conservative and yes, black..I wish we would see more like them...
The name Michele Malkin and the the words charming and intelligent do not belong in the same sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections