Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Report on cornish hens-have never made them before tonight and won't do again. Much marinating, much basting with separate sauce-not much results. Rice and veggies were great!

Hugs and nite all. Big hunk of beef for tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a shame - maybe try the spatchcock method some time. They only take 15-20 mins to cook if you split them open.

I've bbq'd them like that and just brushed w garlic butter and squeezed lemon over. Good bbq finger food if you like to get messy

Fun to make if you like a bit of butchery! Really Nice Recipes - Spatchcock Poussin

Old 01-11-2009, 06:05 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The kitty is sitting on the radiator immediately behind him, prrrrrouwing loudly in his ear, begging for bites of tomato - I have never known a cat who likes tomato, but we can't leave fresh tomatoes out anywhere he can find them, or he'll eat them all.
That's so funny. I once had a cat who LOVED green olives. He would mew for them the minute the jar was opened and eat at least a couple of them, chopped up for his kitty mouth

Well, I had been leaning toward Chinese, but it was fine enough outside to grill.

I don't mean to be a spoilsport to those of you in the wintery areas of the country. Just remember, there are lots of days in the summer when we are weltering at 90 or 100+ degrees while your highs are in the 80s or 70s.

So it was grilled ribeye, spanish rice, leftover cauliflower, and a Fizzy Lizzy pomegranate juice, which I didn't care for. It tasted too much like wine for my preference. I don't like the flavor of alcoholic drinks - ugh! And it is juice, not soda, but it seemed like a soda, not that I'm complaining about that.

Stay warm and dry everyone and be good or the naughtiness monsters will chew your toes at night!!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Rolling in after a fulfilling supper. Had potato pancakes and steamed carrots with the chicken breasts. No dessert we don't do that every night anyway. But dishes are done, floors swept and ready to settle down to check my threads.

Since ya all are sharing weird pet tastes I will throw in my DD's cat loves popcorn gets made when she won't give him anymore. The dog she sits for a lot likes marshmallows.

I have been lurking in another thread on here trying to decide if I can keep up with it and this one too. Of course this one is always at the top of my list and will forever remain there.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Report on cornish hens-have never made them before tonight and won't do again. Much marinating, much basting with separate sauce-not much results. Rice and veggies were great!

I'm sorry it didn't turn out so great. At least the rest of it was good.

Tonight my hubby had broiled steak, french fries, and corn(his usual).

I had sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms with a can of diced tomatoes. I sautéed 2 chicken breast, added it to the veggies, and added seasonings. Served over 1/2 portion of whole grain pasta. It was enough for 4 meals. Eating less is great that way. I always have leftovers.

See you all tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
I had Chicken, Rice, & Carrots tonight.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:

I was wondering about your cornish hens.....I break down and try them every couple of years.....see them on special and give them a try....they seem like they would be good .... but am always underwhelmed by them .... then a couple of years I will try them again.... I thought DP would like them as he really prefers dark meat of chicken or turkey.... and they have mostly dark...?....but they just are not impressive....seem like low budget banquet food choice--all description and little flavor.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I had a grilled hot dog and a grilled hamburger.. Three pieces of birthday cake...

Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I had .. Three pieces of birthday cake...

Ha, ha now that's my kind of meal. Was it chocolate?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I was wondering about your cornish hens.....I break down and try them every couple of years.....see them on special and give them a try....they seem like they would be good .... but am always underwhelmed by them .... then a couple of years I will try them again.... I thought DP would like them as he really prefers dark meat of chicken or turkey.... and they have mostly dark...?....but they just are not impressive....seem like low budget banquet food choice--all description and little flavor.
I had them in TN when we went to the Dixie Stampede show wasn't impressed with them then either. Seems like a cute dinner party food to serve each guest but not worth the trouble to me since they give up little "wow" flavor.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
I have made cornish hens in the past and they were always really good and juicy! I will have to think back on what I did, but they really were very good! Keep y'all posted when I remember!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink