Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times

Advertisements

HERE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE (just posted today)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...dations-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Be smart and stay in NY. The taxes, corruption and huge welfare population is worth dealing with. The rest of the US is a complete snooze, you will be bored out the wazoo and dream of NY daily. The lot of the suburban US is a master planned soulless black hole with nil culture.

Sick of NY? Take a holiday. After living in NY the only move I would consider is overseas.
Someone I'm sure hasn't been west of the Hudson or south of Coney Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What exactly do you watch?
Well, probably not much.

I can't stand David Letterman, so I get no exposure to that. I think he's an idiot.

I do like to watch the Today Show, Good Morning, America, and The Early Show when I can.

Do you have any suggestions of what to watch so I can see what you mean about the braggadocio in the city?

Thanks!

I agree that the above post about New York was pretty corny. I have to admit though it sounds like a Texan's post about Texas. I guess people everywhere are way too fond of where they live. I've yet to find such a place, but I'll keep searching.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM

147 posts, read 241,084 times
Talking Out-of-staters just pour in everyday into Texas

The population of Texas has more than completely doubled, almost tripled, since 1970. We are the second most populated state, and half of all the adults residents (2000 census) were born outside the state.

Out-of-staters just pour in everyday, and they make of 88% of the adult population of the suburbian county where I live. There are probably more New Yorkers living in the county than locals.

When will the out-of-staters stop coming? We have sprawl from them all the way to the Oklahoma border.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
The population of Texas has more than completely doubled, almost tripled, since 1970. We are the second most populated state, and half of all the adults residents (2000 census) were born outside the state.

Out-of-staters just pour in everyday, and they make of 88% of the adult population of the suburbian county where I live. There are probably more New Yorkers living in the county than locals.

When will the out-of-staters stop coming? We have sprawl from them all the way to the Oklahoma border.
I keep wondering why. It must be for employment.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:27 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Before this thread goes any further, we need to dispel any beliefs that 1) Texas is mostly flat and 2) that the heat is unbearable.

This is so much of a common misconception its practically a stereotype. Texas heat is not hardly worse than any other state in the south. If it was so bad, then I doubt it would be the second largest populated state in the country (because the way some of you put it, anyone with good sense would not live here). It gets hot a lot, but not hotter than any place up north. The city that I live in (in Texas) has the same highest recorded temperature as New York City.

Is it sustained heat? It's not just how hot it gets, but the duration of that heat? Also humidity? Lack of wind? What other factors?

Also, can one expect every apartment one rents (because that is how we'd go to start) to have central air? Because my husband, if he had his way, would camp out in a server room that is kept in the low 60's.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 AM

332 posts, read 449,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I keep wondering why. It must be for employment.
no,it's just because they love Texas! jk lol...I hear a lot of people transfer down to Houston and Dallas because of their jobs moving here.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
Yankee Stadium is another example that toots NY... but I guess...that's to be expected. It followed the example of that blue eyed man from NJ.

YouTube - new york
dear God, the yankees. blech. now THAT is something that is in your face around here - EVERYTHING is the yankees, and YES, it drives me nuts. but, as my yankee fan friends would tell me, i'm just jealous.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Is it sustained heat? It's not just how hot it gets, but the duration of that heat? Also humidity? Lack of wind? What other factors?

Also, can one expect every apartment one rents (because that is how we'd go to start) to have central air? Because my husband, if he had his way, would camp out in a server room that is kept in the low 60's.
It does get hot for a long while, but there is an air conditioned room in like every place you go in this city. It's all about picking days that would be best to do something outside. Unless you're someone who dresses small then it won't even bother you. There is a lot of humidity because of our location on the ocean, but when we have overcasts (which is a lot) there's often a nice breeze that usually brings relief from the sun. And this is only when it gets hot. People who tend to exaggerate will tell you different, but it can get very cold down here on some days in the fall and winter.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It does get hot for a long while, but there is an air conditioned room in like every place you go in this city. It's all about picking days that would be best to do something outside. Unless you're someone who dresses small then it won't even bother you. There is a lot of humidity because of our location on the ocean, but when we have overcasts (which is a lot) there's often a nice breeze that usually brings relief from the sun. And this is only when it gets hot. People who tend to exaggerate will tell you different, but it can get very cold down here on some days in the fall and winter.

In the summer, we have very little overcast skies with the exception of a few years, this being one of them. If one is working outside which I like to do, the heat is overwhelming. I must wait for the evening when the humidity is a bit lower, but that doesn't keep me from almost keeling over and having to take breaks in the air conditioned house.

In the summer from May to October, picking days to be outside is not an easy task when the weather is at it's norm..........HOT!!

What does "dresses small" mean?

I can't see the heat not bothering anyone unless they're sitting in a air conditioned place all day. I even get sweaty ginning around the house with the air on.

I don't think people who speak of the Texas heat are exaggerating one bit. It's hot, long and hot, and it is unpleasant.

Yes, and thank God for the "very" cold in the Fall and Winter. I love that.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

In the summer, we have very little overcast skies with the exception of a few years, this being one of them. If one is working outside which I like to do, the heat is overwhelming. I must wait for the evening when the humidity is a bit lower, but that doesn't keep me from almost keeling over and having to take breaks in the air conditioned house.

In the summer from May to October, picking days to be outside is not an easy task when the weather is at it's norm..........HOT!!

What does "dresses small" mean?

I can't see the heat not bothering anyone unless they're sitting in a air conditioned place all day. I even get sweaty ginning around the house with the air on.

I don't think people who speak of the Texas heat are exaggerating one bit. It's hot, long and hot, and it is unpleasant.

Yes, and thank God for the "very" cold in the Fall and Winter. I love that.
No thanks! I may be in the minority, but I'll take a St. Paul winter over a Houston summer any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.